What's New - Chronological (September 2018)
- Australia: Fewer blood transfusions needed worldwide (16 Sept. 2018)
- USA: Gunshot victims require much more blood and are more likely to die than other trauma patients (17 Sept. 2018)
- DeMario VM, Sikorski RA, Efron DT, Serbanescu MA, Buchanan RM, Wang EJ, et al. Blood utilization and mortality in victims of gun violence. Transfusion. 2018 Sep 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Estcourt LJ, Malouf R, Doree C, Trivella M, Hopewell S, Birchall J. Prophylactic platelet transfusions prior to surgery for people with a low platelet count. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Sep 17;9:CD012779. [Epub ahead of print]
- USA: 'I work 3 jobs and donate blood plasma to pay the bills.' This Is what it’s like to be a teacher in America (13 Sept. 2018)
- Bastos JMC, Pinheiro PL, Rocha LC, Bicalho EC, Cazeli AB, Marcondes SS, Pinasco GC. Therapeutic challenges in pregnant women with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018 Sep;97(36):e12155.
- Heyes J, Kelly PA, Monaghan K, Lawn M, Dhesi A, Mijovic A. A single unit transfusion policy reduces red cell transfusions in general medical in-patients. QJM. 2017 Nov 1;110(11):735-9.
- Ifland L, Bloch EM, Pitman JP. Funding blood safety in the 21st century. Transfusion. 2018 Jan;58(1):105-12.Epub 2017 Oct 13.
- Zeller MP, et al, Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) Collaborative. An international investigation into AB plasma administration in hospitals: how many AB plasma units were infused? The HABSWIN study. Transfusion. 2018 Jan;58(1):151-7. Epub 2017 Oct 14.
- Leading geneticists say research shows transfusions of young blood could stave off illness in older patients (8 Sept. 2018)
- USA: Trends and disparities in delivery hospitalizations involving severe maternal morbidity, 2006-2015. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 2018 Sept.
- Blood transfusions for women during childbirth rose 54% from 2006 to 2015;severe complications during delivery increased 45%.
- USA: NY Blood Center hosts 95 blood drives to commemorate Sept. 11, 2001 attacks (6 Sept. 2018)
- Case Review: A man with fever and haemoglobinuria after blood transfusion. BMJ 2018; 362 (Epub 6 Sept. 2018)
- Theranos: Scandal hit blood-testing firm to shut (5 Sept. 2018)
- Australia: How to fix the market for plasma and save millions: pay plasma donors (2 Sept. 2018)
- Canada: BC PBCO/CBS Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (25 Oct. 2018, Sydney, BC)
- Australia: Judge says hospital can give pregnant Jehovah's Witness teenager a blood transfusion (31 Aug. 2018)
- Malta: When NAT introduced gay men will be allowed to donate. (29 Aug. 2018) | Unclear which criteria will apply
- Pakistan: 88% blood deposits in Islamabad come from family, friends, says IBTA report (28 Aug. 2018) | 2017 donors: 67,081 (98.4%) men; 1,066 (1.6%) women
- UK (Scotland) 200 years since first successful human-to-human transfusion, SNBTS is in rude health (28 Aug. 2018)