What's New - Chronological (April 2021)
- General news: We must redesign the WHO’s building blocks to create more resilient health systems for the future (BMJ blog, 14 Apr. 2021)
- General news (American Academy of Family Physicians): Research examines inclusion of minorities in vaccine trials (13 Apr. 2021)
- General news (AABB): Blood belongs in the patient, not in a tube (April PBM column)
- Indonesia: Indonesian Red Cross Society & Catchplay movie channel team up for humanitarian cause during Ramadan (13 Apr. 2021) | Every blood donor including regular and convalescent plasma donation will get one free 30-day Catchplay+ subscription.
- Tanzania: City medics, nurses train to receive hemophilia patients (13 Apr. 2021)
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry - News): ‘Our brave daddy suffered all his life’ (13 Apr. 2021)
- Diseases in the news: WHO calls for comprehensive, equitable access to healthcare for every Chagas disease patient (14 Apr. 2021)
- Evans AL, Dalby A, Foster HR, et al. Transfer to the clinic: refining forward programming of hPSCs to megakaryocytes for platelet production in bioreactors. Blood Adv. 2021 Apr 13;5(7):1977-90. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Haffner MR, Le HV, Saiz AM Jr, et al. Postoperative in-hospital morbidity and mortality of patients with COVID-19 infection compared with patients without COVID-19 infection. (Letter) JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Apr 1;4(4):e215697. (Free full text)
- USA (NIH): COVID-19 treatment guidelines panel’s statement on the emergency use authorization of anti-SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of COVID-19 (Updated, 8 Apr. 2021)
- China L, Freemantle N, Forrest E, et al.; ATTIRE Trial Investigators. A randomized trial of albumin infusions in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis. N Engl J Med. 2021 Mar 4;384(9):808-17.
- Sandal R, Mishra K, Jandial A, et al. Update on diagnosis and treatment of immune thrombocytopenia. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2021 Mar 30:1-16. Epub ahead of print.
- Syahrul S, Maliga HA, Ilmawan M, et al. Hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke in patients with coronavirus disease 2019: incidence, risk factors, and pathogenesis - a systematic review and meta-analysis. F1000Res. 2021 Jan 19;10:34. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- General news: How will clinical laboratories collect samples if telehealth replaces traditional doctor’s office visits? (9 Apr. 2021) | Related:
- Mehrotra A, Bhatia RS, Snoswell CL. Paying for telemedicine after the pandemic. JAMA. 2021 Feb 2;325(5):431-2. (Editorial)
- General news: Autoantibodies may contribute to severe COVID-19 and potential long-COVID-19 symptoms (8 Apr. 2021)
- General news (USA): NIH begins study of allergic reactions to Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines (7 Apr. 2021)
- Australia: Significant change to vaccine rollout (8 Apr. 2021)
- Meyerov J, Louis M, Lee DK, et al. Associations between preoperative anaemia and hospital costs following major abdominal surgery: cohort study. BJS Open. 2021 Mar 5;5(2):zraa070. Epub 07 April 2021 (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- General news: Covid vaccine manufacturers should work with poorer countries, says WTO chief (1 Apr. 2021)
- General news: Many recovering COVID patients show signs of long-term organ damage (1 Apr. 2021) | Related:
- Ayoubkhani D, Khunti K, Nafilyan V, et al. Post-covid syndrome in individuals admitted to hospital with covid-19: retrospective cohort study. BMJ. 2021 Mar 31;372:n693. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Australia: What does new advice on the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine mean and what is the risk? (9 Apr. 2021)
- India: Bengaluru - Blood banks fret as donor numbers fall due to COVID-19 (4 Apr. 2021)
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry): Widow of Hartlepool blood scandal victim welcomes 'significant step' in increased payments (5 Apr. 2021)
- USA: Those donating blood to ARC in April could win a VIP trip for 4 to the 2022 Indianapolis 500 (4 Apr. 2021) | Also eligible to win one of five $1,000 e-gift cards to a merchant of choice.
- USA: Arizona's blood supply critically low (4 Apr. 2021)
- Library resource (UK): SHOT webinar on Haemolytic Transfusion Reactions (12 Mar. 2021) | 55 Min. video
- Shafie AA, Wong JHY, Ibrahim HM, et al. Economic burden in the management of transfusion-dependent thalassaemia patients in Malaysia from a societal perspective. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2021 Apr 7;16(1):157.
- India: Maharashtra again grapples with severe blood shortage (2 Apr. 2021)
- Attie A, de Almeida-Neto C, S Witkin S, et al. Detection and analysis of blood donors seropositive for syphilis. Transfus Med. 2021 Apr;31(2):121-8. Epub 2021 Jan 21.
- Bell S, Sweeting M, Ramond A, et al; COMPARE Study Group. Comparison of four methods to measure haemoglobin concentrations in whole blood donors (COMPARE): A diagnostic accuracy study. Transfus Med. 2021 Apr;31(2):94-103.Epub 2020 Dec 20. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Donta A, Gorakshakar AC, Ghosh K. Divergence in phenotyping and genotyping analysis of the Lewis histo-blood group system. Transfus Med. 2021 Apr;31(2):129-135. Epub 2021 Jan 11.
- Dzingirai B, Katsidzira L, Matyanga CMJ, et al. Progress on the elimination of viral hepatitis in Zimbabwe: a review of the policies, strategies and challenges. J Viral Hepat. 2021 Apr 2. Epub ahead of print.
- UK Patient rang 999 from hospital bed after being refused oxygen, inquest hears (1 Apr. 2021)
- It seems to me that if a patient is identified as having a sickle cell disease, it should be flagged up to the haematology team....a member of that team should be available should a patient show signs of sickle cell crisis.
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry News): Belfast doctor fights back tears recalling those who died of AIDs during evidence (2 Apr. 2021)
- USA: Washington blood donations running low due to vaccine misconceptions (31 Mar. 2021)
- English M, Irimu G, Akech S, et al. Employing learning health system principles to advance research on severe neonatal and paediatric illness in Kenya. BMJ Glob Health. 2021 Mar;6(3):e005300. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Ibrahim A, Noun P, Khalil C, Taher A. Changing management of hematological malignancies with COVID-19: statement and recommendations of the Lebanese Society of Hematology and Blood Transfusion. Front Oncol. 2021 Mar 15;11:564383. (Free full text) | PubMed abstract
- Kang ZY, Liu W, Li DH. Comparison of clinical outcomes between ABO-incompatible and ABO-compatible pediatric liver transplantation: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Pediatr Surg Int. 2020 Nov;36(11):1353-62.Epub 2020 Oct 1.
- UK (Infected Blood Inquiry News):
- 16 people diagnosed with HIV in blood scandal, probe told (31 Mar. 2021)
- Some patients used as 'guinea pigs' (30 Mar. 2021)
- Infected blood victim tells of impact of living with hepatitis C (30 Mar. 2021)
- Campaigners give cautious welcome to payments over contaminated blood (29 Mar. 2021)
- Journals: Transfusion Medicine Reviews 2021;35(1):1-66. (Free full text - all articles)
- Ho AP, Ho BE, Berg MP, Gutman JA, Draper NL. Blood type change identifies late dominance reversal of chimerism after double umbilical cord blood transplantation with review of the literature. Transfusion. 2021 Mar;61(3):960-967. Epub 2021 Feb 26.