TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
- Whole Blood in the rural EMS environment (27 June 2020) | Related:
- AABB: Graphic summary of COVID-19 weekly hospital transfusion services survey: Week 14 snapshot (June 22-24, 2020)
- Hospitals in 'dire need' of blood as elective surgeries restart (17 June 2020)
- NIH launches analytics platform to harness nationwide COVID-19 patient data to speed treatments (15 June 2020, news release) | Related:
- AABB -Graphic summaries of COVID-19 weekly hospital transfusion services surveys:
- Viruses like the one that causes COVID-19 have long been Dr. Anthony Fauci's 'worst nightmare' (10 June 2020)
- FDA issues warning letter to EUCYT Laboratories LLC (4 June 2020) | EUCYT was marketing unapproved human cells, tissues, or cellular or tissue-based products (HCT/Ps), including one exosome product marketed to prevent or treat COVID-19
- HHS Office for Civil Rights: Guidance on HIPAA and Contacting Former COVID-19 Patients about Blood and Plasma Donation
- AABB leaders issue statement on the death of George Floyd, health equity.
- Oklahoma Blood Institute offers free COVID-19 antibody testing for all donors (5 June 2020)
- Dr. saves gunshot victim's life with innovative transfusion in the back of an ambulance (5 June 2020)
- AABB submitted joint comments with ABC, ARC and the PPTA this week regarding the FDA's April 2020 HIV Risk Guidance. (5 June 2020)
- FDA: Recommendations to Reduce the Possible Risk of Transmission of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease by Blood and Blood Components. (Guidance for Industry, April 2020)
- FDA: Revised Recommendations to Reduce the Risk of Transfusion-Transmitted Malaria (Guidance for Industry, April 2020)
- AABB: New guidance to Standard 5.14.5 in the 32nd ed. of Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services
- Texas Blood Institute offering free COVID-19 antibody testing for donors. (3 June 2020)
- COVID-19 convalescent plasma therapy is safe for patients with severe COVID-19, with 76% of patients improving (2 June 2020) | Note on study size: n=25.
- Antibody tests were hailed as way to end lockdowns. Instead, they cause confusion. (28 May 2020)
- COVID-19 survivor blood becomes a pricey commodity with a milliliter selling for $1,000 (31 May 2020)
Diseases in the news
- HIV: See USA above
- Novel coronavirus (CoVID-19): See General, Canada, Egypt, Ghana, India, Netherlands, USA above, and Resources and Journals below.
Resource Library / Links
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Free sample journal issues:
- Open access journal: The Lancet Digital Health 2019 May;1(1):e1-e44.
- Transfus Med Hemother 2019 Oct; 46(5): Many open access articles
- New open access journal (May 2020): The Lancet Microbe
- Complement in Transfusion Medicine - Special issue of Transfus Med Rev 2019 Oct; 33(4):197-272.
- Abbott TR, Dhamdhere G, Liu Y, et al. Development of CRISPR as an Antiviral Strategy to Combat SARS-CoV-2 and Influenza. Cell. 2020;181(4):865-876.e12.
- Al-Samkari H, Karp Leaf RS, Dzik WH, et al. COVID and coagulation: bleeding and thrombotic manifestations of SARS-CoV2 infection. Blood. 2020;blood.2020006520. Epub 2020 Jun 3.
- * Azouzi S, Mikdar M, Hermand P, et al. Lack of the multidrug transporter MRP4/ABCC4 defines the PEL-negative blood group and impairs platelet aggregation. Blood. 2020;135(6):441-8.
- Bambra C, Riordan R, Ford J, Matthews F. The COVID-19 pandemic and health inequalities. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2020;jech-2020-214401. Epub 2020 Jun 13.
- Bankovic Radovanovic P. Quality improvement project: Reducing non-conformities of the samples for haemostasis testing in a secondary healthcare centre through the nurses' education in phlebotomy. Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2020;30(2):020708. Epub 2020 Jun 15.
- Bikdeli B, et al; Global COVID-19 Thrombosis Collaborative Group. Pharmacological agents targeting thromboinflammation in COVID-19: review and implications for future research. Thromb Haemost. 2020 May 30. Online ahead of print.
- Bloch EM, Goel R, Wendel S, et al. Guidance for the orocurement of COVID-19 convalescent plasma: differences between high and low-middle income countries. Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12970. Epub 2020 Jun 13.
- Blumberg N. Convalescent plasma safety. CMAJ. Epub 2 June 2020.
- Boulware DR, Pullen MF, Bangdiwala AS, et al. A randomized trial of hydroxychloroquine as postexposure prophylaxis for Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020;10.1056/NEJMoa2016638. Epub 2020 Jun 3.
- Cappellini MD, Viprakasit V, Taher AT, et al. A phase 3 trial of Luspatercept in patients with transfusion-dependent ß-thalassemia. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(13):1219-31.
- Carr PL, Raj A, Kaplan SE, Terrin N, Breeze JL, Freund KM. Gender differences in academic medicine: retention, rank, and leadership comparisons from the National Faculty Survey. Acad Med. 2018;93(11):1694-9.
- Chen B, Xia R. Early experience with convalescent plasma as immunotherapy for COVID-19 in China: knowns and unknowns. Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12968. Epub 2020 Jun 9.
- Chevalier A, Raines EB, Cervenakova L. Industry call for covid-19 convalescent plasma collections. (Letter) ISBT Sci Ser. 2020. Epub 2020 3 June.
- Cho BC, Jung YH, DeMario VM, et al. On-label compared to off-label four-factor prothrombin complex concentrate use: a retrospective, observational study. Transfusion. 2019;59(8):2678-84. Epub 2019 May 23.
- * Devine DV. SARS in Canada: lessons learned for the blood operator. (Editorial) Transfus Med. 2020. Epub 20 May 2020.
- Dodd RY, Stramer SL. COVID-19 and Blood Safety: Help with a Dilemma. (Editorial) Transfus Med Rev. 2020;34(2):73-4.
- Drabinski T, Zacharowski K, Meybohm P, Rüger AM, Ramirez de Arellano A. Estimating the epidemiological and economic impact of implementing preoperative anaemia measures in the German healthcare system: the health economic footprint of patient blood management. Adv Ther. 2020;10.1007/s12325-020-01372-4. Epub 2020 Jun 19. | PubMed abstract
- Ellinghaus D, Degenhardt F, Bujanda L, et al. Genomewide association study of severe Covid-19 with respiratory failure. N Engl J Med. 2020; 10.1056/NEJMoa2020283. Epub 2020 Jun 17.
- Faria JCP, Cansian B, Arruda ÉEC, Victorino CA, Szulman A. Prescription of red cell concentrates by emergency physicians. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2020;66(4):466-71.
- Franchini M, Marano G, Velati C, Pati I, Pupella S, Liumbruno GM. Vox Sanguinis International Forum on Hospital Transfusion Services' Response to COVID-19. (Letter) Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12967. Epub 2020 Jun 9.
- Galanti M, Shaman J. Direct observation of repeated infections with endemic coronaviruses.
- Goldhamer MEJ, Pusic MV, Co JPT, Weinstein DF. Can Covid catalyze an educational transformation? Competency-based advancement in a crisis. N Engl J Med. 2020;10.1056/NEJMp2018570. Epub 2020 Jun 16.
- Hannigan C, Ologun G, Trecartin A, et al. A novel protocol to maintain continuous access to thawed plasma at a rural trauma center. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020;88(1):148-52.
- Haw J, Polzer J, Devine DV. Contextual factors influencing donor recruitment and cord blood collection: perspectives of frontline staff of the Canadian Blood Services' Cord Blood Bank. Transfusion. 2019;59(5):1742-8. Epub 2019 Feb.11.
- Iba T, Levy JH, Levi M, Connors JM, Thachil J. Coagulopathy of coronavirus disease 2019. (Review) Crit Care Med. 2020;10.1097/CCM.0000000000004458. Epub 2020 May 27.
- Joyner MJ, Wright RS, Fairweather D, et al. Early safety indicators of COVID-19 convalescent plasma in 5,000 patients. J Clin Invest. 2020;140200. Epub 2020 Jun 11.
- Kamyszek RW, Leraas HJ, Reed C, et al. Massive transfusion in the pediatric population: A systematic review and summary of best-evidence practice strategies.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019;86(4):744-54.
- Kuta P, Melling N, Zimmermann R, Achenbach S, Eckstein R, Strobel J. Clotting factor activity in fresh frozen plasma after thawing with a new radio wave thawing device. Transfusion. 2019;59(5):1857-61. Epub 2019 Mar 18.
- * Lewin A, Al Khan S, Beaudin L, Meilleur L, Clarke G, Richard L. Report on the 19th International Society of Blood Transfusion Platelet Immunology Workshop 2018. Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12945. Epub 2020 May 28.
- Li L, Zhang W, Hu Y, et al. Effect of convalescent plasma therapy on time to clinical improvement in patients with severe and life-threatening COVID-19: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2020;10.1001/jama.2020.10044. Epub 2020 Jun 3.
- Liu X, Zhang D, Sun T, Li X, Zhang H. Containing COVID-19 in rural and remote areas: experiences from China. J Travel Med. 2020;27(3):taaa060.
- Lucey CR, Thibault GE, Ten Cate O. Competency-based, time-variable education in the health professions: crossroads. Acad Med 2018 Mar;93(3S): S1-S5.
- * Mabilangan C, Burton C, Nahirniak S, O'Brien S, Preiksaitis J. Transfusion-transmitted and community-acquired cytomegalovirus: infection in seronegative solid organ transplant recipients receiving. Am J Transplant. 2020;10.1111/ajt.16066. Epub 2020 May 19.
- McQuilten ZK, Higgins AM, Burns K, et al. The cost of blood: a study of the total cost of red blood cell transfusion in patients with ß-thalassemia using time-driven activity-based costing. Transfusion. 2019;59(11):3386-95.
- Mungai M, Tegtmeier G, Chamberland M, Parise M. Transfusion-transmitted malaria in the United States from 1963 through 1999. N Engl J Med. 2001;344(26):1973-8. | PubMed abstract
- Qiu J, Ma J, Zhang S, Han J, Liu S. Promoting platelets is a therapeutic option to combat severe viral infection of the lung. (Letter) Blood Advances, 31 Mar 2020, 4(8):1640-2.
- Roberts DJ, Miflin G, Estcourt L. Convalescent plasma for COVID-19: back to the future. (Editorial) Transfus Med. 2020. Epub 24 May 2020.
- Roth CG, Huang W, Sekhon N, et al. Teaching laboratory stewardship in the medical student core clerkships pathology-teaches. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2020 Jul; 144(7): 883-7. Epub 2019 Dec 11.) | PubMed abstract
- Ryczek E, White J, Carolan-Rees G. Implementation of high-throughput non-invasive prenatal testing for fetal RHD genotype testing in England: Results of a cross-sectional survey of maternity units and expert interviews. Transfus Med. 2020;10.1111/tme.12702. Epub 2020 May 24. | PubMed abstract
- Salazar E, Perez KK, Ashraf M, et al. Treatment of COVID-19 patients with convalescent plasma. Am J Pathol. 2020;S0002-9440(20)30257-1. Epub 2020 May 27.
- Schonewille H, van de Watering LMG, Oepkes D, Lopriore E, Cobbaert CM, Brand A. Prevalence of red-blood-cell and non-red-blood-cell-targeted autoantibodies in alloimmunized postpartum women. Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12941. Epub 2020 May 26.
- Shah A, Frost JN, Aaron L, Donovan K, Drakesmith H; Collaborators. Systemic hypoferremia and severity of hypoxemic respiratory failure in COVID-19. Crit Care. 2020;24(1):320. Epub 2020 Jun 9.
- * Shih AW, Yan MTS, Elahie AL, et al. Utilising red cell antigen genotyping and serological phenotyping in sickle cell disease patients to risk-stratify patients for alloimmunisation risk. Transfus Med. 2020;10.1111/tme.12685. Epub 2020 May 20.
- Staples S, Staves J, Davies J, et al. Electronic remote blood issue supports efficient and timely supply of blood and cost reduction: evidence from five hospitals at different stages of implementation. Transfusion. 2019;59(5):1683-91. Epub 2019 Mar 12
- Tagny CT, Bissim M, Djeumen R, et al. The use of the GeeniusTM HIV-1/2 Rapid confirmatory test for the enrolment of patients and blood donors in the WHO Universal Test and Treat Strategy in Cameroon, Africa. Vox Sang. 2020;10.1111/vox.12942. Epub 2020 May 28.
- Trentino, K.M., Farmer, S.L., Leahy, M.F. et al. Systematic reviews and meta-analyses comparing mortality in restrictive and liberal haemoglobin thresholds for red cell transfusion: an overview of systematic reviews. BMC Med 18, 154 (2020).
- Tripathi MM, Tshikudi DM, Hajjarian Z, Hack DC, Van Cott EM, Nadkarni SK. Comprehensive blood coagulation profiling in patients using iCoagLab: comparison against thromboelastography. Thromb Haemost. 2020;10.1055/s-0040-1712956. Epub 2020 Jun 22.
- Visagie M, Pearson KR, Purvis TE, Gehrie EA, Resar LMS, Frank SM. Greater anemia tolerance among hospitalized females compared to males. Transfusion. 2019;59(8):2551-8.
- Vossoughi S, Perez G, Whitaker BI, et al. Safety incident reports associated with blood transfusions. Transfusion. 2019;59(9):2827-32.
- Waheed U, Wazeer A,Saba N, Qasim, Z. Effectiveness of WhatsApp for blood donor mobilization campaigns during COVID-19 pandemic. (Letter) ISBT Sci Ser. 2020. Epub 2020 9 June.
- Wright FL, Vogler TO, Moore EE, et al. Fibrinolysis shutdown correlates to thromboembolic events in severe COVID-19 infection. J Am Coll Surg. 2020;S1072-7515(20)30400-2. Epub 2020 May 15.
- * Zeller MP, Ellingham D, Devine D, et al. Vox Sanguinis International Forum on donor incentives: summary.Vox Sang. 2020;115(4):339-44.