TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
- Platelets grown from stem cells may be alternative to donated platelets (28 Nov. 2018)
- Transfusions with older blood linked to adverse events, death, new study finds (28 Nov. 2018)
- Big pharma 'failing to develop urgent drugs for poorest countries' (20 Nov. 2018)
- Should we pay people for donating blood? (BBC,15 Nov. 2018)
- Tidbit: I only needed a blood transfusion! Why did my cruise leave me behind? (15 Nov. 2018)
- Big Pharma targets U.S. sitcoms (12 Nov. 2018)
- Nine Pints review (Ireland): A deep dive into blood (3 Nov. 2018)
- Anemia may be associated with increased mortality and length of hospital stay (8 Nov. 2018)
- Platelet transfusion study identifies a change that could improve outcomes for some premature babies (2 Nov. 2018)
- Billionaire Trump support Peter Thiel, founder of PayPal, denies injecting himself with young people's blood (1 Nov, 2018)
- Nine Pints: A bloody good read | Review in Canada's Toronto Star (2 Nov. 2018)
- UK: 'Dying to tell the truth about the tainted blood scandal in the UK' (website relates to Infected Blood Inquiry)
- 'Evidence' link at top has good info on Canada, Ireland, Australia, plus accusations related to UK
- To access USA information, register here
- In light of UK's Infected Blood Inquiry, a trip down memory lane in Canada (CBC archived videos):
Diseases in the news
Resource Library / Links
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
- Daurat A, et al. Outcomes and risk factors of transfusion-associated circulatory overload: a case control study. Transfusion. Epub 20 Nov. 2018.
- * Fletcher A, Chen BY, Benrimoh D, Shemie S, Lubarsky S. Lessons learned from a student-driven initiative to design and implement an Organ and Tissue Donation course across Canadian medical schools. Perspect Med Educ. 2018 Oct;7(5):332-6.
- Guo Y, et al. Development and evaluation of a transfusion medicine genome wide genotyping array. Transfusion. Epub 20 Nov. 2018.
- Jones AR, et al; PROPPR Study Group. Older blood is associated with increased mortality and adverse events in massively transfused trauma patients: secondary analysis of the PROPPR Trial. Ann Emerg Med. 2018 Nov 14. pii: S0196-0644(18)31326-X. [Epub ahead of print]
- Krishnasivam D, et al. Anemia in hospitalized patients: an overlooked risk in medical care. Transfusion. 2018 Nov;58(11):2522-8. Epub 2018 Oct 1.
- * Lemay AS, Tong TN, Branch DR, Huang M, Sumner C, Oldfield L, Hawes J, Cserti-Gazdewich CM, Lau W. The first case of severe acute hemolytic transfusion reaction caused by anti-Sc2. Transfusion. 2018 Oct 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu A, et al. Young plasma attenuates age-dependent liver ischemia reperfusion injury. FASEB J. 2018 Nov 1:fj201801234R. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lozada MJ, Cai S, Li M, Davidson SL, Nix J, Ramsey G. The Las Vegas Mass Shooting: An analysis of blood component administration and blood bank donations. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018 Oct 25. [Epub ahead of print] ( Download - Free full text pdf)
- * Menchetti I, Lin Y, Cserti-Gazdewich C, Goldstein J, Law C, Lazarus A, Callum JL. Complications of a severe autoimmune hemolytic anemia crisis: transfusional iron overload and gangrenous cholecystitis. Transfusion. 2018 Oct 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Onchaga MK, Mbugua AM, Maturi PM, Mwanda W. Bacterial contamination in platelet concentrates prepared at Kenya National Blood Transfusion Service (NRBTC). East African Med J 2018; 95(1):1134-8.
- * Storry JR, et al. International Society of Blood Transfusion Working Party on Red Cell Immunogenetics and Blood Group Terminology: Report of the Dubai, Copenhagen and Toronto meetings. Vox Sang. 2018 Nov 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tozawa K, et al. Unique megakaryocytes and platelets from novel human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cell line. Blood. 2018 Nov 28. pii: blood-2018-04-842641. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Yazer MH,et al. Vox Sanguinis International Forum on the use of prehospital blood products and pharmaceuticals in the treatment of patients with traumatic hemorrhage. Vox Sang. 2018 Oct 21. [Epub ahead of print]