- Australia: Red blood cells for transfusion like a good red -- a little older, a little better (Monash University press release, 27 Sept. 2017)
- Cooper DJ, et al. for the TRANSFUSE Investigators and the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials Group. Age of red cells for transfusion and outcomes in critically ill adults. N Engl J Med 2017 Sep 17. (Free full text)
- Why Canada needs USA sperm [and plasma] (13 Sept. 2017) | More from Peter Jaworski, who co-authored, 'Markets Without Limits', the primary thesis of which is, "anything you may permissibly do for free, you may permissibly do for money."
- For interest, background of importing sperm into Canada from foreign sperm banks:
- He was the perfect sperm donor. Then 26 families found out he wasn’t (9 Apr. 2016)
- Shortage of Canadian sperm is not about men being unwilling to donate without pay (9 Apr. 2016)
- Canada’s largest importer of donor sperm repeatedly imported semen from foreign sperm banks that was not fully screened for infectious diseases, including HIV (28 Nov. 2016)
- For interest, background of importing sperm into Canada from foreign sperm banks:
- BC PBCO job opportunities:
- BC PBCO/CBS: 17th Annual Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (28 Sept. 2017, Kamloops BC)
- 14-yr-old Jehovah's Witness forced to receive blood transfusion (21 Sept. 2017)
- CBS: Upcoming educational events
- Also see Diseases below (BC WNV update)
- Fifty years, two million babies: Australia's role in a remarkable medical success story (8 Sept. 2017) Background:
- 1980: Australian Dr. John Gorman and 4 others honoured with prestigious Albert Lasker Clinical Medical Research Award for their work on the vaccine for preventing Rh incompatibility in newborns (Rh immune globulin)
- Also see General above and Industry News below
- Hong Kong: MSM lifetime ban changes on 25 Sept. to donation allowed if no MSM for one year (15 Sept. 2017)
- Don’t donate blood if you’re gay – they don't deserve your help (Oped, 16 Sept. 2017)
- Blood agents jailed over cash for transfusions scam (3 Sept. 2017) | Underground trade targeted patients whose surgerydelayed because of shortages in public blood banks. Background:
- Patient dies from from DIC and multi-organ failure after nursing orderly transfuses platelets without doctor’s order patient consent (23 Sept. 2017) | Hard to discern what happened
- Kerala State AIDS Control Society initiated inspection of 172 blood banks but experts say they're meaningless (20 Sept. 2017)
- Kerala AIDS Society grants 'clean chit' to Regional Cancer Centre (19 Sept. 2017)
- Call to make NAT mandatory for reducing risks in blood transfusion (18 Sept. 2017)
- Kerala: 9 year-old tests HIV+ after transfusion (16 Sept. 2017) | Blood donation during window period suspected as donors not screened by NAT in Kerala
- Nurses, medical attendants need to learn safe use of blood (16 Sept. 2017) | Examples cited of blood warmed in sunlight and unlabelled blood sent from blood bank
- Reports are false that 8 patients died due to alleged transfusion of expired blood (12 Sept. 2017)
- IBTS Assistant Director of Nursing takes case to High Court to prevent sacking (12 Sept. 2017) | IBTS says she engaged in gross insubordination by refusing to apologise to staff
- 'Because a donor’s gender will have an impact on how donated blood is used for patients, changing that gender may have safety implication for recipients.'
- IBTS working on solution for how to deal with transgender donors(4 Sept. 2017)
- IBTS Medical Director abruptly ends phone call after asked about why transfusion-related hepatitis B case occurring in Jan. 2017 not made public sooner (31 Aug. 2017)
- Patient contracts hepatitis B from transfusion (30 Aug. 2017) | Donor tested in window period. IBTS calls it a rare, 1-in-2 million event
- Durban man sues blood service after contracting terminal disease (19 Sept. 2017) | SANBS does not test donor blood for HTLV-1
- War on drugs: Big Pharma fights NHS bill curbs (10 Sept. 2017)
- Man who received Great North Air Ambulance's first plasma transfusion makes miraculous recovery (22 Sept. 2017)
- Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance now carries blood on ‘Ambucopter’, can undertake on-site transfusions (20 Sept. 2017)
- Also see Journals below (BBTS Annual Meeting)
- Real case of a transfusion medicine Dr., who with her spouse, bought 4,000 shares of Immucor in 1982 for $11K (7 June 2017)
- Case focuses on her tax woes after her share became $1,717,038 in 2011
- US Tax Court Finding of Fact and Opinion (1 June 2017)
- CSL (Australia): Bullying, sex toys and how CSL got rid of a complaining employee (6 Sept. 2017)
- Australian Govt. Fair Work Commission: Decision on Andrew Saunders v CSL Ltd. (14 Aug. 2017)
- Also see UK and USA above
- HBV: See Ireland above
- WNV (Canada): CBS, BC & Yukon Region, WNV Update (28 Aug. 2017)
- Canada (via BC PBCO): CBS, BC & Yukon Region, WNV Update (28 Aug. 2017)
- BC PBCO update to Technical Operations Manual (TOM)
- TMP0002: Blood Product Inventory Assessment, Order and Receipt
- AOR 0004: Receiving Blood Products from CBS (v 2.0)
- AOR 0014: Receiving and Issuing Untested or Incompletely Tested Blood Components from Canadian Blood Services (v 1.0)
- TMP0014: Pretransfusion Examination
- PTE 0017: Managing Transfusion Requests of Patients on Daratumumab Therapy (v 1.0)
- Canada: ORBCoN Resources
- Canada: CBS-sponsored LearnTransfusion series
- NEW TraQ's September newsletter
- NEW TM blog: While my guitar gently weeps (Musings on recent transfusion-related news)
- August blog: We are the world (Musings on the humanitarianism of selling body tissues)
- Special Issue (Abstracts): Annual Scientific Meeting of the British Blood Transfusion Society, Glasgow, UK, 13–15 Sept. 2017. Transfusion Med 2017;27(Supplement S2):1-73.
- A few selected posters from Annual Scientific Meeting of the BBTS,13–15 Sept. 2017 | Well worth a read. Search for poster nos., e.g., 'PO35' (without quotes)
- PO35 Anatomy of a deception - a case of donor impersonation [Authors from Irish Blood Transfusion Service] | Case of donor impersonating a relative with relative's collusion
- PO58 SHOT: 20 years of reporting shows human error is most common cause of adverse incidents: use bedside checklist | Errors compounded by poor communication, shifts, understaffing
- PO65 The final bedside check prior to transfusion: is a one or two person check safer? [SHOT authors] | 2-person independently checking is not necessarily safer, can provide false sense of security, each believing the other has checked correctly.
- PO112 ‘Ah, so this is what transfusion is like in the real world … ’Enhancing safety via the evolution of simulation education for medical students | Study included prior e-learning, small group seminar, clinical simulations
- PO120 Baby R: a success story of high levels of anti-D in pregnancy | Mother in 5th pregnancy,1 prior live birth, 5 antibodies,inc. anti-D, -M, -S, -Fyb, -Jkb
- PO123 Transfusion education for non-medical prescribers: is ‘team based learning’ (TBL) an effective way to learn? | In UK NMPs with specific training can also prescribe blood components
- A few selected talks from Annual Scientific Meeting of the BBTS,13–15 Sept. 2017
- SI07 (I07, not 107) Blood and bombs: blood service support following the 2017 Manchester Concert Bombing | 22 May 2017: 22 died, 116 admitted to hospital, including many young women
- AW03 Getting the message across: turning science into stories [by Lorna Williamson, one of the founders of SHOT, 1994] | 'Agreeing the key message is critical, then you need simple unambiguous language, striking images and humour.'
- SI15 (I not '1') Valuing the ‘near miss’ – an opportunity to learn from hospital complaints [Authors: NHSBT, Newcastle]
- SI18 (I not '1') Human factors analysis of SHOT reports in 2016 | Factors leading to errors that were analysed: Staff, Environment, Organisation, Govt/Regulatory
- SI24 (I not '1') Transfusion-transmitted HIV from seroconverted blood donors has not been identified in England: Findings from 8 years of lookbacks | The only documented HIV transmissions in the UK predate pooled NAT testing
- Abela MA, Fenning S, Maguire KA, Morris KG. Bacterial contamination of platelet components not detected by BacT/ALERT®. Transfus Med. 2017 Sep 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cooper DJ, et al. for the TRANSFUSE Investigators and the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials Group. Age of red cells for transfusion and outcomes in critically ill adults. N Engl J Med 2017 Sep17.
- Graham JE, Narayan S, Pendry K. Improving transfusion education for junior doctors; exploring UK experiences. Transfus Med. 2017 Apr;27(2):96-104. Epub 2016 Nov 7.
- Lyon RM, et al.; Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance Trust. Pre-hospital transfusion of packed red blood cells in 147 patients from a UK helicopter emergency medical service. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2017 Feb 14; 25(1):12.
- * Morton S, et al. Vox Sang International Forum on provision of granulocytes for transfusion and their clinical use: summary. Vox Sang. 2017 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stevens WT, Morse BC, Bernard A, Davenport DL, Sams VG, Goodman MD, et al. Incompatible type A plasma transfusion in patients requiring massive transfusion protocol: Outcomes of an Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma multicenter study. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017 Jul;83(1):25-9.
TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)