TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
**FEEDBACK NEEDED** Please let us know what you think of TraQ and how it's of value?
- Latest blog by Eric Ching: Mix and Match - High Incidence Antigens (Fun Quiz)
- In memoriam: Dutch immunologist Johannes Joseph "Jon" van Rood died at 91, on 21 July 2017
- Indigenous people around the globe more likely to be infected by HBV and/or HCV than others (10 Aug. 2017)
- Zipline's ambitious medical drone delivery, including blood, in Africa (MIT Technology Review, 8 June 2017) | Now expanded to Tanzania (See below)
- End-of-life care poor for elderly patients with AML (23 Aug. 2017) | Hospices not offering transfusion a factor
- Sports hype of platelet-rich plasma 'powerful marketing tool' but distorts the science (15 Aug. 2017)
- To tackle the contaminated blood scandal, Britain must learn from Canada (1 Aug. 2017, oped, The Guardian)
- Canada: CBS International Symposium: RBCs: Still Vital After All These Years? (Sept 9, 2017, Toronto, ON)
- BC PBCO job opportunities:
- Canada needs blood plasma. We should pay donors to get it (oped, 24 Aug. 2017)
- Author Peter Jaworski co-authored, 'Markets Without Limits', the primary thesis of which is, "anything you may permissibly do for free, you may permissibly do for money."
- CBS seeks $855m to boost plasma supply (14 Aug. 2017) | Note: BC, AB, ON, QC constitute 86% of Canada's population
- Winnipeg clinic battles criticism of pay-for-plasma services (8 Aug. 2017) | Must register to view article
- Health Canada appoints 2 members of 'Expert Panel on Immune Globulin Product Supply and Related Impacts in Canada' (7 July 2017)
- CBC and Sundance TV team for miniseries 'Unspeakable' on Canada's tainted blood scandal (29 July 2017)
- Moncton’s pay-for-plasma clinic opens, aims for 1,000 weekly donors (27 July 2017)
- BC PBCO/CBS: 17th Annual Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (28 Sept. 2017, Kamloops BC)
- CBS: Upcoming educational events
- Also see Diseases below (BC WNV update)
Diseases in the news
- HBV/HCV: See General above (Indigenous people article)
- HEV: See Journals (Hoad, et al) below
- WNV (Canada): CBS, BC & Yukon Region, WNV Update (28 Aug. 2017)
- HCV/HIV: See General above (oped, The Guardian) and Canada above (New minseries)
Resource Library / Links
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)
Seminars in Hematology (Features Hemophilia) | Transfusion (AABB) | Transfusion Medicine (BBTS, Jan. 2015)
Transfusion Medicine Reviews | Vox sanguinis (ISBT) | J Med Ethics (Jan. 2015)
Asian Journal of Transfusion Science (HTML Free text, Jan-June, 2016) | View as e-book (takes time to load)
- * Duncan JA, Nahirniak S, Onell R, Clarke G. Two cases of the variant RHD*DAU5 allele associated with maternal alloanti-D. Immunohematology. 2017 Jun;33(2):60-3.
- Ellingson KD, Sapiano MRP, Haass KA, Savinkina AA, Baker ML, Henry RA, et al. Cost projections for implementation of safety interventions to prevent transfusion-transmitted Zika virus infection in the United States. Transfusion. 2017 Jun;57 Suppl 2:1625-33.
- Ellingson KD, Sapiano MRP, Haass KA, Savinkina AA, Baker ML, Chung KW, et al. Continued decline in blood collection and transfusion in the United States-2015. Transfusion. 2017 Jun;57 Suppl 2:1588-98.
- Hoad VC, Seed CR, Fryk JJ, Harley R, Flower RLP, Hogema BM, et al. Hepatitis E virus RNA in Australian blood donors: prevalence and risk assessment. Vox Sang. EPub 18 Aug 2017.
- * Johnson JA, MacDonald K, Clarke G, Skoll A. No. 343-routine non-invasive prenatal prediction of fetal RHD genotype in Canada: the time is here. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2017 May;39(5):366-73.
- Merz E-M, Zijlstra BJH, de Kort WLAM. Blood donor show behaviour after an invitation to donate: The influence of collection site factors. Vox Sang. EPub 18 Aug 2017.
- Rachul C, Rasko JEJ, Caulfield T. Implicit hype? Representations of platelet rich plasma in the news media. PLoS One. 2017 Aug 9;12(8):e0182496.
- Sandler SG. Bloody Brilliant: A History of Blood Groups and Blood Groupers. Immunohematology. 2017 Jun;33(2):82-3. | Review of the AABB book by Steven Pierce and Marion Reid
- Wang R, Zeidan AM, Halene S, Xu X, Davidoff AJ, Huntington SF, et al. Health care use by older adults with acute myeloid leukemia at the end of life. Clin Oncol. 2017 Aug 7:JCO2017727149. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zwiers C, Lindenburg ITM, Klumper FJ, de Haas M, Oepkes D, Van Kamp IL. Complications of intrauterine intravascular blood transfusion: lessons learned after 1678 procedures. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Aug;50(2):180-6.