- Give CSTM blogs a look. They offer insights about life as transfusion professionals not seen elsewhere.
- Latest CSTM blog: Malcolm Needs, UK biomedical scientist ('I will remember you' series)
- Call to halt the work of equine “blood farms” (23 Jan. 2017)
- Sub-Saharan nations: Unintended consequences of centralized blood banking and what to do about it (23 Jan. 2016)
- BC PBCO: Job opportunities
- CBS calls on provinces for ~$100-million over 6 year to boost plasma donations (24 Jan. 2017)
- What a blood plasma-for-profit clinic means for public heath care (14 Jan. 2017) | Extensive review of paid plasma with interesting quotes from all the players
- CBS suggests 'dip' in donations due to Saskatoon private plasma clinic (28 Dec. 2016)
- Health Minister challenged on lack of action on transfusion-associated hepatitis C (10 Jan. 2017)
- NBA: Public consultation on Supply of Imported Plasma and Recombinant Products – Future Arrangements (13 Jan. 2016 - 17 Mar. 2017)
- Donating blood or declaring your sex life? (9 Jan. 2017)
- HIV via transfusion is a menance (8 Jan. 2017)
- NOTE: UK's SHOT vs India's hemovigilance, where reports of transfusion transmission are based on statements when counselling HIV+ people
- Lifetime blood donor ban on MSM sex lifted, replaced with 1 year deferral (16 Jan. 2017)
- 'I abstained from sex for 23 months': Gay UL student wins fight over blood donations (18 Jan. 2017)
- Scotland: 100s of people infected with HCV have received extra financial support (29 Dec. 2017)
- Why thousands of low-income Americans 'donate' their blood plasma to for-profit centers(13 Jan. 2017)
- AABB, ABC, ARC: Joint Statement to the Food and Drug Administration's Blood Product Advisory Committee (23 Nov 2016) | Relates to FDA’s request regarding its Blood Donor Deferral Policy for Reducing the Risk of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission by Blood and Blood Products (28 July 2016)
- UCLA Health reduced transfusions by 20% with clinical decision support, all-electronic bar code scanning (11 Jan. 2017)
- Blood industry shrinks as transfusions decline (22 Aug. 2014 - Old but still relevant)
- Also see Diseases (Zika virus) and Industry below
- USA: Second Theranos lab failed U.S. inspection (17 Jan. 2017)
- USA: For $8,000 startup can pump you full of young blood in hopes of finding a fountain of youth (15 Jan. 17)
- Ambrosia LLC
- Trial so poorly designed it cannot hope to provide evidence about the effects of the transfusions. (13 Jan. 2017)
- Some say pay-to-participate study, with potential to collect up to $4.8m from up to 600 participants, is a scam.
- USA: Arizona is getting ready to sue Theranos over a "long-running scheme of deceptive acts" (12 Jan. 2017)
- USA: Uncertainty in blood supply chains challenging (8 Jan. 2017)
- 2008-14 BB industry revenue dropped $3.5b
- Big Pharma is coming for your Facebook and Twitter feeds (21 Dec. 2016)
- Also see Diseases (Zika virus) below
- Zika virus
- USA: Keeping Zika out of the nation’s blood supply (11 Jan. 2017)
- FDA issues alert on commercial serological test for Zika (27 Dec. 2016) | Higher number of false positives observed at one lab company
- FDA: Wait for Confirmatory Test Results Before Making Patient Management Decisions(23 Dec. 2016)
- USA (AABB, ABC, ARC): A Joint Statement to the Food and Drug Administration's Blood Product Advisory Committee (18 Nov 2016) | Relates to FDA's “Recommendations for Donor Screening, Deferral, and Product Management to Reduce theRisk of Transfusion-Transmission of Zika Virus”
- Also see Journals (Katz and Rossmann)
- NEW TraQ's December newsletter
- NEW TM blog: Four strong winds (Musings on trends identified by Malcolm Needs' 3rd CSTM blog)
- Dec. blog: Don't worry, be happy (Musings on decreased government funding as a TM disruptive force)
- Bezirgiannidou Z, et al. Hyperhemolytic syndrome complicating a delayed hemolytic transfusion reaction due to anti-P1 alloimmunization in a pregnant woman with HbO-Arab/ß-thalassemia. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis. 2016 Oct 18;8(1):e2016053. eCollection 2016.
- Engert A, Balduini C, Brand A, Coiffier B, Cordonnier C, Döhner H, et al. The European Hematology Association Roadmap for European Hematology Research: a consensus document. Haematologica. 2016 Feb;101(2):115-208. | Older but interesting
- Bookmarks on right. Transfusion medicine is 7.1-7.7 (+Intro just above 7.1)
- Karan A: The success trap of academic medicine and the need for change. (Blog, 20 Jan. 2017)
- Katz LM, Rossmann SN. Zika and the blood supply: a work in progress. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017 Jan;141(1): 85-92.
- Lee JS, Kim-Shapiro DB. Stored blood: how old is too old? (editorial) J Clin Invest. 2017 Jan 3; 127(1):100-2. Epub 2016 Dec 12.
- Rapido F, Brittenham GM, Bandyopadhyay S, La Carpia F, L'Acqua C, McMahon DJ, et al. Prolonged red cell storage before transfusion increases extravascular hemolysis. J Clin Invest. 2017 Jan 3;127(1):375-82. Epub 2016 Dec 12.
- Lawicki S, Covin RB, Powers AA. The Kidd (JK) blood group system. Transfus Med Rev. 2016 Nov 9. pii: S0887-7963(16)30061-X. [Epub ahead of print]
- McCauley CJ, Morris K, Maguire K. A review of maternal alloimmunisation to Rh D in Northern Ireland. Transfus Med. 2017 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Möller M, Jöud M, Storry JR, Olsson ML. Erythrogene: a database for in-depth analysis of the extensive variation in 36 blood group systems in the 1000 Genomes Project. Blood Advances 2016 1:240-9.
- Lund University press release (26 Jan. 2017)
- Munafò MR, et al. A manifesto for reproducible science. Nature Human Behaviour 1. (EPub 10 Jan. 2017)
- Woo EJ, Kaushal M. Rhesus immunoglobulin dosage and administration in obese individuals. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017 Jan;141(1):17.
- Pham HP, Marques MB, Williams LA 3rd. Rhesus immune globulin dosing in the obesity epidemic era. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2015;139(9):1084.
- Noorman F, van Dongen TT, Plat MJ, Badloe JF, Hess JR, Hoencamp R. Transfusion: -80°C frozen blood products are safe and effective in military casualty care. PLoS One. 2016 Dec 13;11(12):e0168401. eCollection 2016.
- Rizos CV, Milionis HJ, Elisaf MS. Severe hyperkalemia following blood transfusions: Is there a link? World J Nephrol. 2017 Jan 6;6(1):53-6.
TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
NOTE: TraQ has a streamlined Top Menu. Items that are no longer there will still be included in
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)