- Ethics case involving Jehovah's Witness patient (2 May 2016) | Fascinating - take a peek
- Too many drug clinical trials switch outcomes midway through (26 Mar. 2016)
- PVC suppliers seek to replace DEHP plasticizer in blood transfusion bags without sacrificing performance or safety (10 May 2016)
- Canada (CSTM): Blog series recognizing Canadian transfusion medicine colleagues
- Why an A Rh negative Canadian run over by a truck in Thailand is struggling to get treatment (16 May 2016)
- CBS 2015 Infectious Disease Surveillance Report
- Paid plasma
- Protesters rally in Victoria for ban on paid plasma donations (10 May 2016)
- Economics behind paid and unpaid plasma systems (1 May 2016)
- Discusses international studies on effect paying money has on donor behaviour
- Seeds of another bloody scandal (1 May 1 2016)
- Author HCV-infected in 1984 by product derived from plasma sourced at Arkansas prison
- Pay for plasma: How it works and where the feds, Alberta stand (30 Apr. 2016)
- Sher said CBS will be working with the provincial and territorial governments over the next few months on a plan to increase plasma donations and whether that involves changing its current operating model of not remunerating donors.
- Paying for blood has too high a cost (Editorial in The Globe & Mail, 27 Apr. 2016)
- Is CBS planning on paying plasma donors? (30 sec. video by CBS CEO Graham Sher, 27 Apr. 2016)
- Transfusion Science Education Course (15-16 June 2016, Winnipeg, MB)
- 14th Annual CBS International Symposium: Intersecting Worlds of Transfusion and Transplantation Medicine (17 Sept. 2016, Toronto, ON)
- Also see CSTM blog series under General above
- Also see Industry News below
- National Immunohaematology Continuing Education (NICE) Proceedings 2015 (Presentations)
- Perth nurse awarded nation's highest nursing honour for developing a blood management program (14 May 2016)
- NBA product list with prices (1 July 2015)
- Chronic seasonal blood shortages create huge black market for blood (June 2016)
- Only 0.95% of China's citizens donate blood;
- Over 2 months father paid 300,000 yuan (US$46,400) on platelets and RBC for 5 yr old son, most directly to scalpers.
- Also see Industry News below
- Regular blood transfusions passé as city scientists offer one-time match for thalassemia patients (25 May 2016)
- Parents claim three-and-a-half year-old son acquired HIV from blood transfusion (11 May 2016)
- Hepatitis, HIV/AIDS detected in more than 150 children after multiple blood transfusions (14 May 2016)
- Dr Gail Miflin replaces Dr. Lorna Williamson as NHSBT Medical & Research Director
- Dr. Lorna Williamson bio (p. 7)
- Middlewich woman donates blood onboard cruise ship in middle of Pacific Ocean (23 May 2016)
- Scotland: Transfusion-associated hepatitis C victim caught between NHS-England and NHS-Scotland over compensation (7 May 2016)
- Hepatitis C deaths hit all time high (4 May 2016)
- Also see Indusrtry News below
- Canada: Therapure Biopharma Inc. welcomes delegation from all 3 levels of government to its state-of-the-art facility (6 May 2016)
- Therapure Biopharma to manufacture plasma derivatives
- China: Blood shortages pump life into $16 billion Shanghai RAAS Blood Products (3 May 2016)
- Because of supply and demand, plasma-derived products industry has gross profit margins of ~70%
- China: Chinese blood testing market an opportunity for in vitro diagnostic device vendors (28 Apr. 2016)
- USA: New Health Sciences awarded $3 million NIH grant to commercialize Hemanext® (27 Apr. 2016)
- Malaria: Blood transfusions in high risk malaria zones could be made safer with new blood treatment technology (The Lancet press release) | See Journal articles below
- HCV: See USA above
- Latest Zika Virus news
- Allain JP, Owusu-Ofori AK, Assennato SM, Marschner S, Goodrich RP, Owusu-Ofori S. Effect of Plasmodium inactivation in whole blood on the incidence of blood transfusion-transmitted malaria in endemic regions: the African Investigation of the Mirasol System (AIMS) randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2016 Apr 23;387(10029):1753-61.
- Dalton HR, Webb GW, Norton BC, Woolson KL. Hepatitis E virus: time to change the textbooks. Dig Dis. 2016;34(4):308-16. Epub 2016 May 11.
- Flood LS, Higbie J. A comparative assessment of nursing students' cognitive knowledge of blood transfusion using lecture and simulation. Nurse Educ Pract. 2016 Jan;16(1):8-13. Epub 2015 May 27.
- Foley K, Poles D, Mistry H, Gray A, Bolton-Maggs PHB. Are the ‘rules’ for times in set up and duration of red cell transfusion too strict? Transfus Med 2016. (E-pub 25 Apr 2016)
- Freixo A, et al. Nurses knowledge in Transfusion Medicine in a Portuguese university hospital: the impact of an education. Blood Transfus 2016 (E-pub. 19 Feb, 2016)
- Horst J, Leonard JC, Vogel A, Jacobs R, Spinella PC. A survey of US and Canadian hospitals' paediatric massive transfusion protocol policies. Transfus Med. 2016 Feb;26(1):49-56. Epub 2016 Feb 2.
- Lee BK, Le Ray I, Sun JY, Wikman A, Reilly M, Johansson S. Haemolytic and non-haemolytic neonatal jaundice have different risk factor profiles. Acta Paediatr. 2016 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu Y, Li C, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Wu B, Ke L, et al. Which is safer source plasma for manufacturing in China: apheresis plasma or recovered plasma? Transfusion. 2016 May;56(5):1153-60.
- Lyall C, King E. Using qualitative research methods in biomedical innovation: the case of cultured red blood cells for transfusion. BMC Res Notes. 2016 May 11;9(1):267.
- Newby G, Bennett A, Larson E, Cotter C, Shretta R, Phillips AA, Feachem RG. The path to eradication: a progress report on the malaria-eliminating countries. Lancet. 2016 Apr 23;387(10029):1775-84.
- Romeijn B, van Dongen A, Kok G. Reasons for noncompliance in donor risk reporting regarding male-to-male sex. Transfusion. 2016 May 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Seheult JN, Triulzi DJ, Yazer MH. I am the 9%: Making the case for whole-blood platelets. Transfus Med. 2016 May 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Smith A, Gray A, Atherton I, Pirie E, Jepson R. Does time matter? An investigation of knowledge and attitudes following blood transfusion training. Nurse Educ Pract. 2014 Mar;14(2):176-82.
- Older paper but relevant
- Sultan S, Baig MA, Irfan SM, Ahmed SI, Hasan SF. Adverse reactions in allogeneic blood donors: a tertiary care experience from a developing country. Oman Med J. 2016 Mar;31(2):124-8.
- 41,511 (99.5%) were replacement donors, 248 (0.5%) were voluntary donors.
- Almost all (41,645; 99.8%) were male; 114 (0.2%) were female.
TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
NEW TM blog: The in Crowd (Musings on the relevance of transfusion journals)
April blog: Heart of gold (Musings on donating the gift of life)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)