- MEETINGS (Spring/Summer)
- Canada: CSTM 2015: Final Scientific Program (Winnipeg, May 21-24, 2015)
- Australia: 2015 National Blood Symposium: Showcasing Excellence – Standard 7, Blood and Blood Products (June 11-12, 2015, Brisbane)
- UK: 2015 SHOT Symposium (London, June 27, 2015) | Part of ISBT/BBTS conference (London June 27-July 1, 2015)
- AABB: Proposed Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services, ed 30 (Comment deadline: 3 June 2015)
- European Court of Justice (press release): Permanent deferral from blood donation for men who have had sexual relations with another man may be justified, having regard to the situation prevailing in the Member State concerned (29 Apr. 2015)
- Full text of judgement
- EU Law Analysis (blog): Exclusion on blood donation by gay and bisexual men: a disappointing CJEU ruling (30 Apr. 2015)
- Evidence-based medicine: Save blood, save lives. (Nature news feature, 31 Mar. 2015)
- Transfusions are one of the most overused treatments in modern medicine, at a cost of billions of dollars.
- Blood-antigen cleaving enzymes could convert all blood to group O 'universal donor' red cells (30 Apr. 2015)
- Kwan DH, Constantinescu I, Chapanian R, Higgins MA, Kötzler MP, Samain E, et al. Toward efficient enzymes for the generation of universal blood through structure-guided directed evolution. Am Chem Soc. 2015 Apr 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- New TM blog: Heart of Gold (Musings on sucking $ from body tissues)
- CSTM 2015 Final Scientific Program (Winnipeg, May 21-24, 2015)
- Calgary survivors owe lives to those who donated blood and plasma (16 May 2015) | Nice plug for CBS's Partners for Life
- CBS to close 3 clinics, end 16 mobile clinics (30 Apr. 2015)
- National Blood Symposium 2015 (June 11-12, Brisbane)
- Canberra Red Cross calling on donors to consider donating 'liquid gold' plasma (21 Apr. 2015)
- 2015 SHOT Symposium (London, June 27, 2015)
- Part of ISBT/BBTS conference (London June 27-July 1, 2015)
- Accused shooter says it wasn’t murder because his Jehovah’s Witness victim refused blood transfusion (17 May 2015)
- Unregulated stem cell industry is 'Wild West' (18 May 2015)
- Stem cell 'Wild West' takes root amid lack of US regulation (This item includes photos)
- Liposuction described as 'liquid gold' because patients pay for fat-based stem cells for more than 30 diseases and conditions
- Cell Surgical Network
- FDA publishes draft regulations allowing gay men to donate blood (12 May 2015)
- HHS establishes parallel organ donation regulations for patients with HIV (8 May 2015)
- Some want more transparency in multimillion dollar industry that sells donated blood (11 May 2015)
- Also see Disease in the News (HIV) and Industry News below
- USA (Seattle): CSL Plasma sued for turning away transgender woman (11 May 2015)
- Haemonetics reports revenue of $910.4m fiscal year ending Mar. 28, 2015 (27 Apr. 2015)
- OCD receives Health Canada approval for ORTHO VISION™ Analyzer (27 Apr. 2015)
- EU-funded report calls for plasma regulation changes (16 Apr. 2015)
- Blood plasma industry frustrated about growing size of clinical trials, lack of global harmonization & cautious attitudes of regulators to vCJD.
- Industry calls for harmonization of regulations on donor and plasma selection in USA and Europe.
- Key Findings (6 pp): EU-wide overview of the market of blood, blood components and plasma derivatives
- Data and issues in the Report indicate a clear tension between the plasma derivative and the blood and blood components sectors.
- Full Report (139 pp): EU-wide overview of the market of blood, blood components and plasma derivatives focusing on their availability for patients (Creative Ceutical Report, revised by the European Commission to include stakeholders’ comments)
- HIV in the Internet age (1 May, The Scientist)
- Brunskill SJ, Wilkinson KL, Doree C, Trivella M, Stanworth S. Transfusion of fresher versus older red blood cells for all conditions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 May 12;5:CD010801. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gallagher T, Darby S, Vodanovich M, Campbel L, Tovey J. Patient blood management nurse vs transfusion nurse: is it time to merge? Br J Nurs. 2015 May 14;24(9):492-495.
- Gardner K, Hoppe C, Mijovic A, Thein SL. How we treat delayed haemolytic transfusion reactions in patients with sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2015 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Goldman M, Lane D, Webert K, Fallis R. The prevalence of anti-K in Canadian prenatal patients. Transfusion. 2015 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Hibbs SP, Nielsen ND, Brunskill S, Doree C, Yazer MH, Kaufman RM, Murphy MF. The impact of electronic decision support on transfusion practice: a systematic review. Transfus Med Rev. 2015;29(1):14-23.
- Kumar S, Goyal K, Dubey S, Bindra A, Kedia S. Anaphylactic reaction after autologous blood transfusion: A case report and review of the literature. Asian J Neurosurg. 2015 Apr-Jun;10(2):145-7.
- * Kwan DH, Constantinescu I, Chapanian R, Higgins MA, Kötzler MP, Samain E, et al. Toward efficient enzymes for the generation of universal blood through structure-guided directed evolution. Am Chem Soc. 2015 Apr 24. [Epub ahead of print]
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* See TraQ's Industry News
NEW TM blog: Heart of gold (Musings on sucking $ from body tissues)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
BC PBCO Updates:
Updated: TM Medical Policy Manual Table of Contents (March 2015)
6.2 Indications for Irradiation of Blood Components (Revised 2015-03-06)
Updated: Technical Operations Manual: Common Procedures - Other
OM.0001 Processing a Canadian Blood Services Lookback (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
OM.0003 Notifying the Lookback Recipient’s Physician (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
OM.0004 Completing the Documentation and Reporting for a Canadian Blood Services Lookback Notification (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
OM.0005 Lookback Process Flowmap (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
National Advisory Committee on Blood & Blood Products (NAC): Guidelines & Recommendations
Thrombosis Canada: Clinical Guidelines
BC Serology Interest Group: Passing the Serology Torch videos (11 videos ranging from~20 to 60 mins.
BC PBCO and BC TRG: Transfusion Bits and Bytes (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
Mobile web apps: BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator (For Android, Blackberry, iPhone)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample journal issues (Jan. 2015 unless indicated otherwise)