- AABB 2014 meeting resources: Serologic Challenges in Perinatal Management | More resources...
- White Paper: Blood centers should position themselves to be agents (not victims) of change (10 Nov. 2014) | Press release from PYA consulting firm but still interesting
- The most precious blood on earth (27 Oct. 2014) | Story of two people with rare blood, inc. Rh null
- What does my blood group mean? (2 Nov. 2014)
- AABB Association Bulletin #14-08: Advice on handouts/signage at donation sites for donors who may have been exposed to Ebola patient (14 Oct. 2014)
- CDC (Ebola virus disease): Information for healthcare workers and settings
- Health Canada's Blood Regulations came into force (23 Oct. 2014) Thanks to CSTM for putting the HC documents online.
- CSTM unveils its list of 5 things physicians and patients should question (Choosing Wisely Canada Initiative) | Also see all Canadian Lists and Patient Resources
- CBS: Confidential Unit Exclusion screening form results in over 1,000 blood donations wasted yearly (26 Oct. 2014)
- 'Tainted' explores bad blood and forgiveness (15 Oct. 2014)
- Death of woman after emergency C-section recorded as medical misadventure (21 Oct. 2014) | Died from cardiac arrest after severe post-partum hemorrhage
- NHS adopts trauma skills developed in Afghanistan war (2 Nov. 2014)
- Usual medical practice is ABCDE: airway, breathing, circulation, disability, exposure. But in Afghanistan it was 'control of catastrophic haemorrhage'. If you've got both legs and an arm missing, you'll dump your blood volume into dirt long before an airway problem kills you.
- Quest Diagnostics informs doctors it won't accept Ebola blood or patients (15 Oct. 2014) | Quest is USA's largest diagnostic lab
- Also see White paper above under 'General'
- See USA above
- Ebola: See General above
- * Denomme GA.The impact of blood group antigen discrepancies on today's blood banks. Med Lab Observer Oct. 2014.
- Harvey AR, Basavaraju SV, Chung KW, Kuehnert MJ. Transfusion-related adverse reactions reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network Hemovigilance Module, United States, 2010 to 2012. Transfusion. 2014 Nov 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kacker S, Ness PM, Savage WJ, Frick KD, Shirey RS, King KE, Tobian AA. Economic evaluation of a hypothetical screening assay for alloimmunization risk among transfused patients with sickle cell disease. Transfusion. 2014 Aug;54(8):2034-44.
- Lenhoff A. Multiple issues face today's blood banks. (editorial) Med Lab Observer Oct. 2014.
- Northover J. Technology and trends in blood utilization: the time for change is here. Med Lab Observer Oct. 2014. (2004-11: Blood utilization in U.S. was 15% higher per capita than in Europe and 44% higher than in Canada)
- Rousseau GF, Giarratana MC, Douay L. Large-scale production of red blood cells from stem cells: what are the technical challenges ahead? Biotechnol J. 2014 Jan;9(1):28-38. | Older but interesting
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
NEW BC PBCO Update: Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.3, Oct. 7, 2014)
NEW TM blog: To dream the impossible dream ((Musings on TM research))
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Older resources (BC PBCO)
BC Serology Interest Group: Passing the Serology Torch videos (11 videos ranging from~20 to 60 mins.
BC PBCO and BC TRG: Transfusion Bits and Bytes (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
Mobile web apps: BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator (For Android, Blackberry, iPhone)
Journals, etc.Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors