- Platelet pathogen reduction taken too far? (L’Université Laval, 12 June 2014) Also see Osman, et al. under Journals below.
- WHO theme for World Blood Donor Day (June 14): Safe blood for saving mothers
- Your blood type is a lot more complicated than you think (5 June 2014) | By journalist-in-residence at Max Planck Institute for History of Science in Berlin
- Chinese researchers use polydopamine to immunocamouflage donor RBC (21 May 2014)
- Follow CSTM on Twitter
- Blood and Blood Components, Draft 3rd ed. (Public review to 25 July, 2014) | Register, confirm by e-mail, then log-in, then search (Hint: search for 'blood')
- 12th Annual CBS International Symposium - Plasma: Transfuse it, Fractionate it or Forget it? (13 Sept. 2014, Toronto, ON)
- Blood Regulations (published in Canada Gazette, Part II (CGII), 23 Oct. 2013 to come into force on 23 Oct. 2014)
- CAN/CSA-Z902-10 (Blood Standard): Since relevant sections of the Blood Standard are referenced in the Blood Regulations, all blood establishments require access to the most current version of the Blood Standard (available on CSA website)
- NBA downplays Jehovah's Witness not declaring potential conflicts of interest to sit on transfusion guidelines panel (2 June 2014)
- WA hospitals’ Patient Blood Management program needs ‘independent review’ (24 May 2014) | 2 Jehovah’s Witnesses, not physicians, who got almost $4 million in WA, have bigger contract to do same in EU but at one-tenth the cost
- How 2 Jehovah’s Witnesses were paid millions to restrict WA blood transfusions (17 May 2014)
- Troops & disaster victims to get more access to lifesaving blood products (23 May 2014)
- Indira Gandhi Government Medical College patient got correct blood 'by mistake' (12 June 2014)
- Lab tech tested blood as 'A positive' instead of 'O positive', but with no 'A pos' blood, tech labelled bag of 'O pos' as 'A pos' and sent it to hospital. During transfusion, a relative said patient was 'O pos.'
- Goat blood enema used to help treat thalassemia patients (8 June 2014)
- Maha State FDA suspends licenses of 7 blood banks & cancels one (22 May 2014)
- IBTS hopes to extend haemochromatosis service for donors (5 June 2015)
- Gay blood donation ban lifted if monogamous. New monogamous rules apply to all donors (22 May 2014)
- Dissenting voice: South Africa’s terrible solution to gay blood donation ban
- Haem02 project aims to develop 1-size-fits-all, 3rd generation artificial blood substitute (9 June 2014) | HaemO2 website
- NHSBT consolidates Human Resources using cloud-based HR technology (28 May 2014)
- Must read: Twisted business of donating plasma for money (28 May 2014)
- UK paid plasma backgrounder: Selling our safety to the highest bidder: the privatisation of Plasma Resources UK (Lucy Reynolds, research fellow at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
- Also see vCJD under 'Diseases in the news' below
- Australia's CSL is mentioned in Twisted business of donating plasma for money, as is Yale Plasma, part of DCI Biologicals. Also see TM blog, If you could read my mind (Musings on hard-to-believe TM news)
- vCJD: Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease claims fourth U.S. victim (7 June 2014)
- CDC: Confirmed vCJD Case in Texas (2 June 2014)
- HCV/HIV: See Pakistan above
- Vox Sang Special Issue: Abstracts of ISBT Congress, Seoul, Korea, May 31–June 5, 2014
- * Germain M, Robillard P, Delage G, Goldman M. Allowing blood donation from men who had sex with men more than 5 years ago: a model to evaluate the impact on transfusion safety in Canada. Vox Sang. 2014 May;106(4):372-5.
- * Osman A, Hitzler WE, Meyer CU, Landry P, Corduan A, Laffont B, Boilard E, Hellstern P, Vamvakas EC, Provost P. Effects of pathogen reduction systems on platelet microRNAs, mRNAs, activation, and function. Platelets 2014 Apr 21:1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Results suggest Intercept treatment may induce platelet activation, resulting in release of microRNAs and mRNAs. Clinical implications not yet established.
- Vetter TR, Adhami LF, Porterfield JR Jr, Marques MB. Perceptions about blood transfusion: a survey of surgical patients and their anesthesiologists and surgeons. Anesth Analg 2014 Jun;118(6):1301-8.
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
New TM blog: If you could read my mind (Musings on hard-to-believe TM news)
BBTS blog: Do you believe (Musings on cloud-based software services by a transfusion medicine techno heretic)
Australia (NBA): Managing blood and blood product inventory: Guidelines for Australian health providers (Feb. 2014)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Older resources (BC PBCO)
BC PBCO and BC TRG: Transfusion Bits and Bytes (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
Journals, etc.Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors