TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
If TraQ is useful, please let us know: Contact:
July's newsletter includes these highlights:
International news featuring:
- Big Pharma wants to 'friend' you
- Proceedings of a consensus conference on 'Risk-based decision making for blood safety'
- 'Mother of all cells' identified by Toronto researchers
- New Brunswick report on blood services & CBS statement on the report
- BC woman calls for air ambulances to carry blood as Australian innovation saved daughter's life
- CBS initiatives to obtain ethnic blood, cord blood, & organ donors
- Proposal for rural standby donors
- Report by the Red Cross Blood Service that African immigrants fear donor discrimination
- Ireland: Report that finds prion filtration to prevent vCJD is not cost effective
- South Africa: SANBS reports on 5 yrs of NAT testing
- UK: Jehovah's Witness dies after refusing blood following major physician error
- HHS to review blood donation ban for gay and bisexual men
- Man says he was rejected at commercial donor center because he appeared gay
- Contaminated platelets implicated in Florida child's death
Diseases: CDC report finds 'explosion' of sexual transmission of HCV in HIV+ men
Industry news: Immucor to be bought by investment firm, TPG Capital
Literature: Many interesting additions inc. papers on risk-based decison making, applying the precautionary principle to TM, and how desensitization in HLA-incompatible kidney recipients can increase survival
Resource library: 'A compendium of transfusion practice guidelines' from the American Red Cross and several 'goodies' from the Australian Blood Matters program, including data collection forms for 'Audit of blood transfusion policy, procedures and administration practice, 2011'
New TM blog: "If you could read my mind" (Musings on 'acceptable risk' & who pays the price)
We mourn the passing of Canadian Dr. Noel Buskard, an outspoken patient advocate and a past president of the Canadian Society for Transfusion Medicine (1998-2000)
and much more...
E-mail this page to a friend
TraQ & PBCO
For the latest news see What's new - chronological
- SANBS reports on 5 yrs of NAT testing (Press release, 25 July 2011)
- Vermeulen, M., Reddy, R. Sensitivity of NAT Options: The SANBS Experience, South African National Blood Service (SANBS). ISBT Congress, Lisbon, Portugal, June 18-22, 2011.
*Also see TraQ's Canadian Regional News and International News
Diseases in the News
* Also see TraQ's Disease clearinghouses
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Resource Library / Links
"If you could read my mind" (Musings on 'acceptable risk' & who pays the price)
American Red Cross: A compendium of transfusion practice guidelines, ed. 1, 2010
Online Graduate Certificate in Transfusion Medicine (School of Nursing, University of Melbourne, Australia)
Report on 2010 blood storage & handling survey (Blood Matters, 13 July 2011)
Audit of blood transfusion policy, procedures and administration practice, 2011 (Blood Matters - useful data collection forms)
*Also see TraQ's Resource Library | Nursing resources | Literature clearinghouses | Links | Continuing education | Jobs | Video library | Calendar of events
Journals, Newsletters, etc.
- UK (NHSBT): Blood & Transplant Matters (Spring 2011) (many interesting articles)
- Donadee C, Raat NJ, Kanias T, Tejero J, Lee JS, Kelley EE, et al. Nitric oxide scavenging by red blood cell microparticles and cell-free hemoglobin as a mechanism for the red cell storage lesion. Circulation 2011 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hollis-Perry M. The pathologist: part of the team. Arch Pathol & Lab 2011 Jul;135(7): 823.
- Isbister JP, Shander A, Spahn DR, Erhard J, Farmer SL, Hofmann A. Adverse blood transfusion outcomes: establishing causation. Transfus Med Rev 2011 Apr; 25(2):89–101.
- Suggestions for how to evaluate if blood transfusions are indeed the cause of adverse effects such as immunomodulation.
- Leach Bennett J, Blajchman MA, Delage G, Fearon M, Devine D. Proceedings of a consensus conference: Risk-based decision making for blood safety. Transfus Med Rev 2011 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Montgomery RA, Lonze BE, King KE, Kraus ES, Kucirka LM, Locke JE, et al. Desensitization in HLA-incompatible kidney recipients and survival. N Engl J Med 2011 Jul 28; 365(4):318–26.
- Murphy WG. Pathogen reduction: State of reflection in Ireland. Transfus Clin Biol. 2011 Jul 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Polonsky MJ, Brijnath B, Renzaho AM. They don't want our blood": Social inclusion and blood donation among African migrants in Australia. Soc Sci Med 2011 Jun 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wilson K. A framework for applying the precautionary principle to transfusion safety. Transfus Med Rev. 2011 Jul;25(3):177–83.
If TraQ is useful, please let us know: Contact: