What's New - November 2016 (By topic)
- Give CSTM blogs a look. They offer insights about life as transfusion professionals not seen elsewhere.
- When U.S. was warned that AIDS was killing kids (27 Nov. 2016)
- In advance of World AIDS Day (Dec. 1) Toronto star excerpts 2 books beginning with David France's 'How to Survive a Plague'
- Dubai, UAE: Harvey J. Alter wins Grand Hamdan International Award for studies that identified non-A, non-B hepatitis, now hepatitis C in 1989. (Press release, 21 Nov. 2016)
- CDC Grand Rounds: 25th anniversary of the discovery of hepatitis C (2014)
- Blood from old mice makes young mice decrepit (22 Nov. 2016) | Study raises caution about anti-aging benefits of transfusion from the young
- Rebo J, et al. A single heterochronic blood exchange reveals rapid inhibition of multiple tissues by old blood. Nat Commun 7, 2016 (E-pub 22 Nov. 2016)
- Background: Can we reverse the ageing process by putting young blood into older people? (4 Aug. 2015)
- For fun: Not even scientists can easily explain p-values (24 Nov. 2015)
- Goodman S. A dirty dozen: 12 p-value misconceptions. Semin Hematol 2008; 45:135-40.
- Canada: Worobey M, Watts TD, McKay RA, Suchard MA, Granade T, Teuwen DE,et al. 1970s and ‘Patient 0’ HIV-1 genomes illuminate early HIV/AIDS history in North America. Nature 2016 26 Oct.
- Canadian Richard A. McKay, Research Fellow in the Dept. of History and Philosophy of Science at Cambridge, did his MSC on PhD on Gaétan Dugas and is also writing a book on it.
- CBC 'The Current' (Interview with author and 2 others): New research clears Gaétan Dugas as 'patient zero' in AIDS epidemic (1 Nov. 2016)
- BC PBCO: Job opportunities
- Calls to amend Quebec Civil Code mount in wake of Jehovah's Witness death (26 Nov. 2016)
- Director of the ethics unit at Montreal's Sainte-Justine Hospital says his clinical experience raises serious questions about the validity of blood transfusion refusals in emergencies. He and a colleague wrote an opinion piece in Montreal's La Presse calling for the Civil Code's modification.
- Work begins on pay-for-plasma donation clinic in NB as ethics debate continues (25 Nov. 2016)
- CBS announces new, stricter iron guidelines for donors (24 Oct/ 2016)
- Also see General ('Patient 0') above
- Consent to treatment, including blood transfusion (legal aspects) | Also see related articles on right
- Personal data of 550,000 Red Cross blood donors leaked in country’s largest data breach (28 Oct. 2016)
- Boy infected with HIV after blood transfusion wins compensation battle (~$59K USD) but parents want more (3 Nov. 2016)Malawi
- National blood services centre goes underground (23 Nov. 2016)
- Nurses at Blood Transfusion Service fired for protesting no lunch allowance. (4 Nov. 2016)
- Selling blood to ill employees also a factor in ensuing lawsuit.
- Drone delivery of blood begins (2 Nov. 2016)
- Background: Joint government and US robotics company press conference (Feb. 2016)
- Droneport begins as pilot project
- Potentially life-threatening errors are happening in the NHS almost once a day as details of blunders emerge (27 Nov. 2016)
- Has tabloid press ever heard of SHOT reports?
- NHS Trust helping to develop new technology (CoaguScan) to quickly detect internal bleeding (9 Nov. 2016)
- Blood Bank of Alaska internal investigation finds no wrongdoing (19 Nov. 2016)
- Alaska Blood Bank denies it put public at risk to boost finances (18 Nov. 2016)
- Ongoing controversy at Blood Bank of Alaska over exporting blood and high cost of its facility (2 Nov. 2016)
- Background: Alaska Blood Bank ships excess blood to Lifeline in California for a fee (15 Aug. 2016)
- Also see Diseases (Zika virus) below
- Zika virus
- USA (AABB, ABC, ARC): A Joint Statement to the Food and Drug Administration's Blood Product Advisory Committee (18 Nov 2016) | Relates to FDA's “Recommendations for Donor Screening, Deferral, and Product Management to Reduce theRisk of Transfusion-Transmission of Zika Virus”
- USA (CDC Director): Zika will become endemic (25 Oct. 2016)
- CDC's Tom Frieden on Zika virus (CityLab 2016 video interview, 25 Oct. 2016)
- blog: Don't stop (Musings on regulation as a TM disruptive force)
- Australia (NBA): Guidelines and Governance released in 2016 (TraQ missed them earlier. Thanks, MW.)
- Guidelines for the management of haemophilia (20 July 2016)
- Patient Blood Management Guidelines: Module 6 Neonatal and Paediatrics (29 April 2016)
- National Immunoglobulin Governance Program (2nd. edition)
NEW TM blog: Don't stop (Musings on regulation as a TM disruptive force)
Oct. blog: The Boxer (Musings on lies & jests in the blood industry)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)
- Backholer L, Green L, Huish S, Platton S, Wiltshire M, Doughty H, et al. A paired comparison of thawed and liquid plasma. Transfusion. 2016 Nov 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Checchi M, Hewitt PE, Bennett P, Ward HJT, Will RG, Mackenzie JM, Sinka K. Ten-year follow-up of two cohorts with an increased risk of variant CJD: donors to individuals who later developed variant CJD and other recipients of these at-risk donors. Vox Sang 2016 Nov 15; 111: 325–32.
- de Haas M, et al. Sensitivity of fetal RHD screening for safe guidance of targeted anti-D immunoglobulin prophylaxis: prospective cohort study of a nationwide programme in the Netherlands. BMJ. 2016 Nov 7;355:i5789.
- Goodman S. A dirty dozen: 12 p-value misconceptions. Semin Hematol 2008; 45:135-40. (See 'For Fun' under General above)
- Graham JE, Narayan S, Pendry K. Improving transfusion education for junior doctors; exploring UK experiences. Transfus Med 2016,E-pub Nov.7
- Goodnough LT, Murphy MF. How I train specialists in transfusion medicine. Transfusion. 2016 Nov 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kinney SN, Slayten J, Waxman DA. The Need for education in molecular immunohematology: a survey of specialists in blood banking. Lab Med. 2016 Nov;47(4):330-7.
- Stack G, Tormey CA. Estimating the immunogenicity of blood group antigens: a modified calculation that corrects for transfusion exposures. Br J Haematol. 2016 Oct;175(1):154-60. Epub 2016 Jun 24.
- Uwingabiye J, Zahid H, Labrini F, El Khazraji A, Yahyaoui A, Hadef R, Messaoudi N. Severe hemolytic disease of the premature newborn due to RH1 incompatibility: a case report. Clujul Med. 2016;89(4):565-568. Epub 2016 Oct 20.
- * Worobey M, Watts TD, McKay RA, Suchard MA, Granade T, Teuwen DE, et al. 1970s and ‘Patient 0’ HIV-1 genomes illuminate early HIV/AIDS history in North America. Nature 2016 26 Oct.