What's New - Chronological (December 2018)
- UK: Infected Blood Inquiry publishes list of issues (20 Dec. 2018)
- USA: Did CBS report ‘Elites are lining up to ingest the blood of children’? (Snopes Fact Check, 26 Dec. 2018)
- USA: 2018 bad boys of healthcare (American Council on Health and Science, 27 Dec. 2018)
- Leiby DA, O'Brien SF, Wendel S, Nguyen ML, Delage G, Devare SG, et al; WPTTID Subgroup on Parasites. International survey on the impact of parasitic infections: frequency of transmission and current mitigation strategies. Vox Sang. 2018 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- India: Pregnant woman contracts HIV after blood transfusion in government hospital (26 Dec. 2018)
- UK: Blood transfusion victim Steve Dymond dies (23 Dec. 2018)
- Shah A, Brunskill SJ, Desborough MJ, Doree C, Trivella M, Stanworth SJ. Transfusion of red blood cells stored for shorter versus longer duration for all conditions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Dec 22;12:CD010801. [Epub ahead of print] (Free full text)
- Gardner JM, Allen TC. Keep calm and tweet on: legal and ethical considerations for pathologists using social media. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2019 Jan; 143(1):75-80.
- Jayawardena T, Hoad V, Styles C, Seed C, Bentley P, Clifford V, Lacey S, Gastrell T. Modelling the risk of transfusion-transmitted syphilis: a reconsideration of blood donation testing strategies. Vox Sang. 2018 Dec 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Villatoro T, Karp JK. Transfusion-transmitted babesiosis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2019 Jan:143(1):130-4.
- Austrian police accuse Russian biathletes of ‘blood transfusion fraud’ (13 Dec. 2018)
- USA: Arizona woman hopes her rare Bombay blood is a match for Florida girl battling aggressive cancer (18 Dec. 2018)
- Althoff FC, et al. Multimodal patient blood management program based on a three-pillar strategy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Surg. 2018 Nov 9. [Epub ahead of print] | See 'Download as PDF' on right
- Curley A, et al. Randomized trial of platelet-transfusion thresholds in neonates. N Engl J Med. 2018 Nov 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lester ELW, Fox EE, Holcomb JB, Brasel KJ, Bulger EM, Cohen MJ, Cotton BA, Fabian TC, Kerby JD, O'Keefe T, Rizoli S, Scalea TM, Schreiber MA, Inaba K; PROPPR study group. The impact of hypothermia on outcomes in massively transfused patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print].
- Shah A,Fisher SA, Wong H, Roy NB, McKechnie S, Doree C, Litton E, Stanworth SJ. Safety and efficacy of iron therapy on reducing red blood cell transfusion requirements and treating anaemia in critically ill adults: A systematic review with meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. J Crit Care. 2019 Feb;49:162-71. Epub 2018 Nov 10.
- Sommer N, Schnüriger B, Candinas D, Haltmeier T. Massive transfusion protocols in non-trauma patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018 Oct 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Book review: Bad Blood: The Tragedy of the Canadian Tainted Blood Scandal (2003, Vic Parsons) | In light of UK Infected Blood Inquiry
- USA: Richard Aster recognized with 2018 Health Care Heroes, Lifetime Achievement Award by BizTimes Media, Milwaukee (12 Dec. 2018)
- Katz LM, Donnelly JJ, Gresens CJ, Holmberg JA, MacPherson J, Zacharias PJK, et al. Report of a workshop on ensuring sustainable access to safe blood in developing countries: International Blood Safety Forum, March 24, 2017. Transfusion. 2018 May;58(5):1299-1306. Epub 2018 Mar 14.
- Canada: 'Unspeakable' chronicles saga of two families impacted by Canada's 'Tainted Blood Scandal' (Premieres 9 Jan. 2019; 2:45 trailer) Based on two books:
- The gift of death: Confronting Canada's tainted-blood tragedy (1995) by André Picard
- Bad Blood: The Tragedy Of The Canadian Tainted Blood Scandal (2002) by Vic Parsons
- India: Ranchi shuns thalassemic child, one of 7 who got HIV or HCV from blood transfusion (13 Dec. 2018)
- Rwanda: High-speed drones deliver blood to remote communities (12 Dec. 2018)
- UK: Contaminated blood killed thousands – but behind each scandalous death is a unique story of loss (13 Dec. 2018)
- Kristof K, et al. Anaemia requiring red blood cell transfusion is associated with unfavourable 90-day survival in surgical patients with sepsis. BMC Res Notes. 2018 Dec 11;11(1):879. (Free full text)
- Schack A, et al. The impact of blood type on transfusion after major emergency abdominal surgery. Transfusion. 2018 Dec 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Muñoz M,et al. International consensus statement on the peri-operative management of anaemia and iron deficiency. Anaesthesia. 2017 Feb;72(2):233-47. (Free full text)
- Sacks GD, Hines OJ. Safeguarding against conflicts of interest in the surgical literature. AMA Surg. 2018;153(11):1002-3.
- Tedder RS, et al. Detection, characterization, and enrollment of donors of Ebola convalescent plasma in Sierra Leone. Transfusion. 2018 May;58(5):1289-98. Epub 2018 Mar 23 (Free full text)
- Ziai K, et al. Association of compensation from the surgical and medical device industry to physicians and self-declared conflict of interest. JAMA Surg. 2018 Nov 1;153(11):997-1002.
- Danish study shows 5% increase in cycling time trial after transfusion of just 135 mL of autologous RBC (11 Dec. 2018)
- Bejder J, Andersen AB, Solheim SA, Gybel-Brask M, Secher NH, Johansson PI, Nordsborg NB. Time trial performance is sensitive to low-volume autologous blood transfusion. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2018 Nov 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ghana: Former government Minister speaks vs including blood transfusion delivered by drones in settings where health professionals with requisite skills are unavailable (12 Dec. 2018)
- Big Pharma
- Australia: Transfusion-transmissible infections in Australia Surveillance Report 2018
- India: After seven thalassaemic children transfused with untested blood, physician issues notices to government & private facilities asking them to furnish a year’s transfusion data (11 Dec. 2018)
- South Africa: Jehovah’s Witnesses must allow kids to have blood transfusions, court rules (10 Dec. 2018)
- Cserti-Gazdewich C. Shifting ground and gaps in transfusion support of patients with hematological malignancies. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2018 Nov 30;2018(1):553-60.
- UK: Contaminated blood scandal and the forgotten victims of AIDS (1 Dec. 2018)
- Blake JT, Clarke G. Modeling rare blood in Canada. Transfusion. 2018 Nov 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Heddle NM, Cook RJ, Liu Y, Zeller M, Barty R, Acker JP, Eikelboom J, Arnold DM. The association between blood donor sex and age and transfusion recipient mortality: an exploratory analysis. Transfusion. 2018 Nov 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Land KJ, Townsend M, Goldman M, Whitaker BI, Perez GE, Wiersum-Osselton JC. International validation of harmonized definitions for complications of blood donations. Transfusion. 2018 Nov;58(11):2589-95. Epub 2018 Oct 8.
- O'Brien SF, Yi QL, Goldman M, Grégoire Y, Delage G. Human T-cell lymphotropic virus: A simulation model to estimate residual risk with universal leucoreduction and testing strategies in Canada. Vox Sang. 2018 Nov;113(8):750-9. Epub 2018 Nov 4.
- World AIDS Day 2018 (Theme: Know your status):
- Komforti MK, Thomas RM. Are you a doctor, too? Arch Pathol Lab Med 2018 Dec;142(12): 1455-6.
- Liu QP, Carney R, Sohn J, Sundaram S, Fell MA. Single-donor spray-dried plasma. Transfusion 2018 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print]