What's New - Chronological (August 2017)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- NEW TraQ's August newsletter
- Ireland: Patient contracts hepatitis B from transfusion (30 Aug. 2017) | Donor tested in window period. IBTS calls it a rare, 1-in-2 million event
- TraQ's August newsletter
- WNV (Canada): CBS, BC & Yukon Region, WNV Update (28 Aug. 2017)
- Australia: IVIG from USA donors who had the flu or got flu vaccine to be used to treat patients with influenza in small clinical trial (28 Aug. 2017)
- TM blog: We are the world (Musings on the humanitarianism of selling body tissues)
- In memoriam: Dutch immunologist Johannes Joseph "Jon" van Rood died at 91 on 21 July 2017
- Jon van Rood, a pioneer of transplantation. He just missed the Nobel Prize (In Dutch, right click to translate)
- In 1978, van Rood was awarded the Wolf Prize in Medicine, jointly with George D. Snell and Jean Dausset, "for his contribution to the understanding of the complexity of the HLA system in man and its implications in transplantation and in disease".
- Canada: Canada needs blood plasma. We should pay donors to get it (oped, 24 Aug. 2017)
- Author Peter Jaworski co-authored, 'Markets Without Limits', the primary thesis of which is, "anything you may permissibly do for free, you may permissibly do for money."
- UK: Council decides further sanctions for nurse after 18 mth suspension for 5 charges, one involving transfusion, ends 20 Oct. 2017 (Conduct and Competence Committee, 3-5 July 2017, Nursing and Midwifery Council)
- Teenagers' blood being sold for €6,750 a shot (20 Aug. 2017) | USA's Ambrosia 'young blood' starts to get media coverage overseas
- Johnson JA, MacDonald K, Clarke G, Skoll A. No. 343-routine non-invasive prenatal prediction of fetal RHD genotype in Canada: the time is here. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2017 May;39(5):366-73.
- Zwiers C, Lindenburg ITM, Klumper FJ, de Haas M, Oepkes D, Van Kamp IL. Complications of intrauterine intravascular blood transfusion: lessons learned after 1678 procedures. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Aug;50(2):180-6.
- Australia: The donor who saved over 2 million children (25 Aug. 2017)
- Donated plasma with potent anti-D ~3x/week for 60 yrs
- Tanzania: Government announces Zipline's drones will make up to 2,000 deliveries/day beginning in 2018 (24 Aug. 2017)
- Background on Tanzania and blood delivery via drones (Nice video by Design Boom, 24 Aug. 2017)
- Zipline's ambitious medical drone delivery, including blood, in Africa (MIT Technology Review, 8 June 2017) | Now expanded to Tanzania
- End-of-life care poor for elderly patients with AML (23 Aug. 2017) | Hospices not offering transfusion is a factor
- Wang R, Zeidan AM, Halene S, Xu X, Davidoff AJ, Huntington SF, et al. Health care use by older adults with acute myeloid leukemia at the end of life. Clin Oncol. 2017 Aug 7:JCO2017727149. [Epub ahead of print]
- India: 1% of Chief Minister's Health Insurance Scheme funds sought to help blood banks with voluntary donations (24 Aug. 2017)
- Hoad VC, Seed CR, Fryk JJ, Harley R, Flower RLP, Hogema BM, et al. Hepatitis E virus RNA in Australian blood donors: prevalence and risk assessment. Vox Sang. EPub 18 Aug 2017.
- Merz E-M, Zijlstra BJH, de Kort WLAM. Blood donor show behaviour after an invitation to donate: The influence of collection site factors. Vox Sang. EPub 18 Aug 2017.
- China: Liver problems boost demand for US blood plasma (19 Aug. 2017) | China consumes half world’s supply of human serum albumin
- UK: Examining how commercialisation in the NHS can endanger our health (18 Aug. 2017)
- Sports hype of platelet-rich plasma 'powerful marketing tool' but distorts the science (15 Aug. 2017)
- Rachul C, Rasko JEJ, Caulfield T. Implicit hype? Representations of platelet rich plasma in the news media. PLoS One. 2017 Aug 9;12(8):e0182496. (Free full text)
- Ellingson KD, Sapiano MRP, Haass KA, Savinkina AA, Baker ML, Henry RA, et al. Cost projections for implementation of safety interventions to prevent transfusion-transmitted Zika virus infection in the United States. Transfusion. 2017 Jun;57 Suppl 2:1625-33. (Free full text)
- Ellingson KD, Sapiano MRP, Haass KA, Savinkina AA, Baker ML, Chung KW, et al. Continued decline in blood collection and transfusion in the United States-2015. Transfusion. 2017 Jun;57 Suppl 2:1588-98. (Free full text)
- Canada: CBS, BC & Yukon Region, WNV Update (14 Aug. 2017)
- UK (Northern Ireland): Apology over Indian blood donation 'embarrassment' (15 Aug. 2017)
- Canada: CBS seeks $855m to boost plasma supply (14 Aug. 2017) | Note: BC, AB, ON, QC constitute 86% of Canada's population
- Canada: Winnipeg clinic battles criticism of pay-for-plasma services (8 Aug. 2017) | Must register to view article
- India: Tracing donors infected with HBV and HCV major obstacle (8 Aug. 2017)
- UK: Shropshire blood banks may be 'collecting too much' amid service review (7 Aug. 2017)
- Sisu Global Health: Low-cost auto-transfusion device Hemafuse wins First Mile Innovation Challenge (6 May 2017) Background:
- Canada: Health Canada appoints 2 members of 'Expert Panel on Immune Globulin Product Supply and Related Impacts in Canada' (7 July 2017)
- Pakistan: Inefficient, ineffective Sindh Blood Transfusion Authority (3 Aug. 2017)
- USA: Clinical trial of transfusion therapies for heart attack patients may place them in danger without fully disclosing risks, says consumer advocacy group (1 Aug. 2017)
- Canada: CBC and Sundance TV team for miniseries 'Unspeakable' on Canada's tainted blood scandal (29 July 2017)
- To tackle the contaminated blood scandal, Britain must learn from Canada (1 Aug. 2017)
- Canada: Moncton’s pay-for-plasma clinic opens, aims for 1,000 weekly donors (27 July 2017)
- India: Patients’ kin say private hospitals in Mumbai force them to replace blood against norms (31 July 2017)