What's New - Chronological (July 2017)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- TraQ's July newsletter
- Bangladesh: Why 10 million Bangladeshis have hepatitis B (28 July 2017) | Poor blood donor screening tests and vertical transmission from mother to child significant factors
- India: Chhatisgarh State to introduce blood transfusion motor bikes to deliver blood to hospitals (28 July 2017)
- BC PBCO job opportunity: Provincial Director, BC Provincial Blood Coordinating Office
- TraQ's July newsletter
- TM blog: Both sides now (Musings on where careers take us)
- Canada: Controversial for-profit plasma clinic fully operational in Moncton, NB (25 July 2017)
- Celgene settles 'whistleblower' fraud allegations without admitting guilt (25 July 2017)
- Immucor and Mohawk Medbuy sign 10 year automation agreement for CoLabs (26 July 2017) | Canada's Colabs
- Jenkins I, Doucet JJ, Clay B, Kopko P, Fipps D, Hemmen E, Paulson D. Transfusing wisely: clinical decision support improves blood transfusion practices. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2017 Aug;43(8):389-395. Epub 2017 Jun 27.
- Blood groups beyond A, B and O: what are they and do they matter? (26 July 2017) | Series in collaboration with Australian Red Cross
- Canada (BC PBCO/CBS): 17th Annual Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (28 Sept. 2017, Kamloops BC)
- Australia: Researchers employ POC RNA testing to address growing rate of HCV infections (30 June 2017)
- Article references Canadian research: Researchers at UBC's Center for Excellence developed next-generation sequencing-based HCV test to identify variants that confer resistance to drugs
- Egypt: Only 1% of Egyptians donate blood (24 July 2017)
- Hong Kong: 35-year-old stroke victim helps seven patients by donating all viable organs upon her death (24 July 2017)
- UK: Big Pharma takes NHS to court over a new price cap on medicines (12 July 2017)
- Related: Big Pharma sues drugs watchdog over medicines price cap (10 July 2017)
- USA: FTC seeks public comment on application by Grifols to amend 2011 divestiture agreement (5 July 2017)
- Background: FTC rulings (28 June 2017)
- FTC required Grifolsto make significant divestitures to allow it to acquire Talecris Biotherapeutics (as it was deemed anti-competitive) but Grifols wants to amend the ruling
- WHO: World Hepatitis Day (28 July 2017)
- 7 trends on how Big Pharma uses social media (21 July 2017)
- van Santen, DK, et al. on behalf of CASCADE Collaboration in EuroCoord. Lack of decline in hepatitis C virus incidence among HIV-positive men who have sex with men during 1990–2014. J Hepatol 3027 Aug; 67(2):255-62.
- Malaysia: 5 things I leaned about being a vampire in Malaysia (23 July 2017)
- Interesting article by 20-year old with beta thalassemia major. Note: 100 Malaysian ringgit = ~$23USD
- UK: Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and sex workers (22 July 2017)
- MSM deferral drops from 12 to 3 months (Scotland Nov. 2017, England, early 2018)
- UK: Orphaned Bristol woman who lost parents in contaminated blood scandal is taking her story national (21 July 2017)
- USA: Blood use best practices can save hospitals millions (21 July 2017)
- Sousos N, et al. Non-physician health-care workers and voluntary blood donation: an ambiguous relationship. Transfusion Med. 2017 (EPub 19 July 2017)
- China (Hong Kong): HK tackles world’s first case of patient contracting Japanese encephalitis via blood transfusion (21 July 2017)
- USA: 5 steps to reduce blood costs at your hospital (21 July 2017)
- UK: Lack of trust in health department could derail blood contamination inquiry (19 July 2017)
- 10 campaign groups and Haemophilia Society refuse to attend meeting to consult them about establishing inquiry, because they do not want department implicated in the scandal to oversee the process.
- India: Case closed on criminal culpability of blood bank for 32 children with thalassemia allegedly contracting HIV from transfusion in 2011 (19 July 2017)
- Nigeria: Fake doctor nabbed for infecting 6 yr-old boy with HIV (19 July 2017)
- USA: Family of Jehovah's Witness who died after refusing blood transfusion can't keep suing doctors (19 July 2017)
- 2017 transcript of Appeal of 2015 court decision: Seels, R. v. Tenet Health System (18 July 2017)
- Fascinating: Outlines entire case in detail, including what physicians did
- India (Mumbai): Anti-corruption bureau initiate inquiry against 34 private blood banks for allegedly flouting minimal staffing norms (19 July 2017)
- USA: Baby giraffe 'Julius' in Maryland dies despite plasma transfusions (16 July 2017)
- UK: Contaminated blood scandal survivor hopes new probe brings justice (14 July 2017)
- Background on UK blood inquiry: Former Health Secretary demands NHS contaminated blood inquiry (26 Apr. 2017)
- Eichbaum Q, Murphy M, Liu Y, Kajja I, Hajjar LA, Smit Sibinga CT, Shan H. Patient blood management: an international perspective. Anesth Analg. 2016 Dec;123(6):1574-81.
- Canada (CBS, BC & Yukon Region): WNV Update, 10 July 2017 [via BC PBCO]
- Australia: UK PM May has thrown Australian "tainted blood" victims the ultimate lifeline (13 July 2017)
- Background in Aussie news item:UK health secretary who oversaw the “tainted blood” period, Andy Burham, used his last speech as an MP to demand a public inquiry and warned if May failed to act he would hand police a dossier of evidence he claimed would expose “a criminal cover-up on an industrial scale”.
- UK: The Guardian view on the contaminated blood scandal: justice at last (Editorial, 13 July 2017)
- The delay has not only meant a denial of justice; it will make it much harder to trace responsibility or establish culpability. It is already clear that documents were long ago destroyed.
- Mediaplanet partners with Immucor for transplants campaign (28 June 2017)
- Marketing partnership in action: Transplant diagnostics give patients a second chance at life | How many will see 'Sponsored by' before reading article?
- Immucor VP quoted in article: "Immucor’s HLA typing solutions and antibody detection platforms tackle these factors to deliver needed confidence to the transplant team and the patient."
- How content marketing works (27 June 2017)
- UK: Prime Minister announces contaminated blood scandal inquiry (11 July 2017)
- USA (Maryland): Baby giraffe receives 2nd plasma transfusion (10 July 2017)
- Henneman EA. Recognizing the ordinary as extraordinary: insight into the "way we work" to improve patient safety outcomes. Am J Crit Care. 2017 Jul;26(4):272-7.
- Nursing research on eye-tracking technology
- Canada (CBS, BC & Yukon Region): WNV Update 10 July 2017 via BC PBCO
- Australia: Feature on 'BloodSafe eLearning' program (7 July 2017) | BloodSafe eLearning
- Switzerland: Postal service uses drones to fly lab samples between hospitals in city of Lugano (31 Mar. 2017)
- UK: Great Western Air Ambulance to carry plasma for additional life-saving capability (7 July 2017)
- AABB: Proposed 31st edition of Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services (Available for public comment 23 June - 23 Aug 2017)
- India: First blood bank for cattle opens (28 June 2017)
- Fearon MA, O'Brien SF, Delage G, Scalia V, Bernier F, Bigham M, Weger S, Prabhu S, Andonov A. Hepatitis E in Canadian blood donors. Transfusion. 2017 Jun;57(6):1420-5.
- Lazarova E, Scott Y, van den Bos A, Wantzin P, Atugonza R, Solkar S, Carpio N. Multicentre evaluation of the new ORTHO VISION® analyser. Transfus Med. 2017 Jun 30. [Epub ahead of print]