What's New - Chronological (May 2017)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- NEW TraQ's May newsletter
- Malaysia: Court of Appeal upholds RM846,000 award to man infected with HIV from 2005 transfusion (31 May 2017) | 846,000 Malaysia ringitts = $197,498 USD
- Canada: Winnipeg's long standing for-profit plasma centre increases its paid donor program (29 May 2017)
- Historical 'goodies'
- Eloise Giblett on transfusion pioneer Philip Levine (Biographical Memoirs) | So many notables, a gem of a read.
- Sir Ronald Fisher (BMJ, Medicine and History)
- Learn how Fisher would meet Rob Race and Ruth Sanger at a Cambridge pub to discuss emerging Rh results.
- TraQ's May newsletter
- UK (Tainted blood scandal): Of 89 children with haemophilia sent to special school in 1980s only 17 are alive today (7 May 2017)
- UK: West Suffolk Hospital investigates serious incidents, one related to its blood transfusion service (27 May 2017)
- TM blog: The sound of silence (Musings on why it's key to criticize TM professionals / organizations)
- Ireland: Man who almost died after refusing blood transfusion hits out at 'harmful' Jehovah’s Witness teachings (25 May 2017)
- Canada: CBS celebrates ground breaking for Calgary's new production, testing and distribution facility to open in 2020 (19 May 2017)
- Australia: Blood frozen for Defence Force to use in conflict zones under Red Cross trial (18 May 2017)
- UK: Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) for fetal Rh-D status - putting NICE guidance into practice (
- UK: WannaCry exposed the NHS' outdated IT network and is still causing problems (24 May 2017)
- "UK is a world leader in information technology, software development and cybersecurity. Yet, it has flatly failed to mobilise its own local talent to generate the value it can from its medical information."
- USA: The tricky ethics of Big Pharma soft-selling on soap operas (24 May 2017)
- USA: Federal judge rejects Bio-Rad's bid to undo a California jury's $8 million verdict, finding the jury's verdict that Bio-Rad's attorney was fired for reporting what he thought was possible bribery by Bio-Rad's Chinese sales team was supported by the evidence (11 May 2017)
- Note: An investigation cleared the company of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act wrongdoing in China
- Blood group typing market is expected grow to 3.12 billion USD by 2021 (15 May 2017)
- How Big Pharma might be cut down to size (11 May 2017)
- Companies that manufacture hepatitis C drugs charge $100K USD for a 3-month course of treatment/patient. Louisiana considers invoking an old law allowing US regulators to appropriate the right to inventions and use products in the interest of the public good.
- International Forum: Yazer MH, et al. Development of RBC transfusion indications and the collection of patient-specific pre-transfusion information: summary. Vox Sang. 2017 May 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Opening line: This is a golden age for evidence-based red blood cell (RBC) transfusion practice.
- Summary of Significant Changes and Proposed Standards for a Patient Blood Management Program, 2nd ed. (Draft open for comment 12 May -12 July 2017)
- WannaCry Ransomware holds critical data hostage worldwide, including UK’s NHS (22 May 2017)
- Historical tidbit: Pool JG, Shannon AE. Production of high-potency concentrates of antihemophilic globulin in a closed-bag system. N Engl J Med. 1965 Dec 30;273(27):1443-7.
- Limitless blood supplies are 'tantalisingly close' to becoming reality (17 May 2019)
- Sugimura R, et al. Haematopoietic stem and progenitor cells from human pluripotent stem cells. Nature. 2017 May 17.[Epub ahead of print] (Free full text)
- Australia: Fetus with severe anemia from FMH saved by 3 IVTs (20 May 2017)
- UK: Tainted blood scandal victim's son to sue amid cover-up allegations (10 May 2017)
- Irving C, Crennan M, Vanniasinkam T. Can serological methods help distinguish between prophylactic and alloimmune anti-D? Transfus Med. 2017 May 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Canada: Hemophilia patient who got hepatitis C, HIV from tainted blood in 1983 asks PM for compensation (15 May 2017)
- By the time he was diagnosed seven years later, he'd already passed HIV to his wife, who later died from HIV-related complications.
- Canada: Puppy with 700 ticks needs blood transfusion after being rescued near Regina (14 May 2017)
- UK: Patient at Oxford Haemophilia Centre demands DOH hold blood scandal enquiry 'for the sake of humanity' (13 May 2017)
- India: Probe into HCV+ transfusions in thalassemia patients finds no fault in Jalandhar hospital blood bank (11 May 2017)
- Kramer K, Verweij MF, Zaaijer HL. Are there ethical differences between stopping and not starting blood safety measures? Vox Sang. 2017 May 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- India: 35 thalassemia patients infected with HCV via transfusion (9 May 2017)
- UK: The right and compassionate thing to do (9 May 2017)
- Feature on first NHS nurse in Northern Ireland to administer a blood transfusion in a patient’s home (1999)
- USA: Blood donors aren’t getting paid, but their blood is being sold (8 May 2017) | Examination of the issues by Wisconsin college newspaper
- Torres-Ortuño A, Cid-Sabatel R, Barbero J, García-Dasí M. Life experience of the adult and ageing patient with haemophilia. Practical aspects for psychological support. Vox Sang. 2017 May;112(4):301-9. Epub 2017 Mar 15.
- Top journal editor: Medical journals publish fake science and are in Big Pharma's pocket (5 May 2017)
- India: Regulatory agencies to do joint inspections to fix gaps at blood banks over inadequate staff and equipment (6 May 2017)
- USA: After man dies from TRALI widow wants donor questionnaire changed (4 May 2017)
- Greenway T, Ross JS. US drug marketing: how does promotion correspond with health value? BMJ 2017;357:j1855 (EPub 2 May 2017)
- Physicians get $ billions annually from drug companies to promote drugs.
- USA: Survey finds burnout and low morale cause nearly 50% of doctors to consider retirement, non-clinical roles, or concierge medicine (3 May 2017)
- CBS: Upcoming educational events
- CBS International Symposium: RBCs: Still Vital After All These Years? (Sept 9, 2017, Toronto, ON)
- Canada: Controversial Moncton blood business offers plasma donors up to $100 (1 May 2017)