What's New - Chronological (April 2017)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- TraQ's April newsletter
- USA: Former police officer accused of speeding, driving drunk, and killing two passengers claims blood alcohol test contaminated by transfusions (27 Apr. 2017)
- Evensen A, Anderson JM, Fontaine P. Postpartum hemorrhage: prevention and treatment. Am Fam Physician. 2017 Apr 1;95(7):442-9.
- Harmon CM, Cooling LL. Current strategies and future directions for the prevention of transfusion-transmitted cytomegalovirus. (review) Int J Clin Transfus Med 2017;5:49-59. Epub 27 Apr. 2017.
- Canada: Task Force on Preventive Health Care recommend against HCV screening in low-risk adults, including baby boomers (24 Apr. 2017)
- Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care: Recommendations on hepatitis C screening for adults. CMAJ 2017 Apr 24;189(16). (Free full text)
- Australia: 6 year old first to get transfusion-associated HEV (17 Apr. 2017)
- Russia: Court outlaws 'extremist' Jehovah's Witnesses (20 Apr. 2017)
- USA (CDC Blood Safety Task Force): Sustaining the 2017 Zika Response (Presentations, 30 Mar. 2017)
- Bates I, Hassall O, Mapako T. Transfusion research priorities for blood services in sub-Saharan Africa. (review) Br J Haematol. 2017 Apr 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Industry news: CSL Plasma and Wirecard NA launch first cash-back donor prepaid card (25 Apr. 2017)
- Industry news: How CSL Ltd makes most of its money (18 Apr. 2017)
- TM blog: I will remember you (Musings on TM colleagues past)
- TraQ's April newsletter
- India: Why some stored blood is always discarded (27 Apr. 2017)
- Abstracts of NATA Symposium on Patient Blood Management, Haemostasis & Thrombosis (April 2021, 2017, Florence, Italy)
- India: The irony of blood wastage and blood shortage (26 Apr. 2017)
- In memoriam: With a heavy heart, we are sad to report that Kathy Chambers died Apr. 21, 2017 after a recent diagnosis of cancer. Condolences go out to to her family & many friends. Kathy's blog was the first in the CSTM's 'I will remember you' series. She was a 'oner' who left a legacy in Canada's transfusion community, including at BC PBCO and TraQ.
- Edgren G, Ullum H, Rostgaard K, Erikstrup C, Sartipy U, Holzmann MJ,et al. Association of donor age and sex with survival of patients receiving transfusions. JAMA Intern Med. [Epub April 24, 2017]
- Elderly rodents transfused with human umbilical cord blood improved significantly in memory tests (21 Apr. 2017)
- Castellano JM, Mosher KI, Abbey RJ, McBride AA, James ML, Berdnik D,et al. Human umbilical cord plasma proteins revitalize hippocampal function in aged mice. Nature. 2017 Apr 19.[Epub ahead of print]
- Canada: N.B. paid plasma clinic set to recruit donors for HC inspection (21 Apr. 2017)
- Making artificial blood for transfusions (ACS press release 19 Apt. 2017)
- Wang Q, Zhang R, Lu M, You G, Wang Y, Chen G, et al. Bioinspired polydopamine-coated hemoglobin as potential oxygen carrier with antioxidant properties. Biomacromolecules. 2017 Apr 10;18(4):1333-41. Epub 2017 Mar 28.
- USA: Theranos agrees to two year ban, refunds every Arizonan who purchased a blood test (18 Apr. 2017)
- Canada: Inside the heart of the paid plasma debate (18 Apr. 2017)
- Trinidad and Tobago: Persons responsible for HIV contamination will be punished (12 Apr. 2017)
- Three contract HIV from contaminated blood (12 Apr. 2017)
- Yazdani MS, Retter A, Maggs T, Li P, Robson MG, Reid C, et al. Where does the Albumin go? Human Albumin Solution usage following the implementation of a demand management programme. Transfus Med. 2017 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- USA: Blood banks mark 80th anniversary of the first hospital blood bank (5 Apr. 2017)
- AABB: Highlights of Transfusion Medicine History | Note: 1932 The first blood bank is established in a Leningrad hospital.
- Garg S, Saini N, Bedi RK, Basu S. Comparison of micro column technology with conventional tube methods for antibody detection. J Lab Physicians. 2017 Apr-Jun;9(2):95-9.
- Ramirez-Arcos S, Jenkins C, Sheffield WP. Bacteria can proliferate in thawed cryoprecipitate stored at room temperature for longer than 4 h. Vox Sang. 2017 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- European Commission publishes new guides on patient blood management (3 Apr. 2017)
- EC: PBM Guidelines (4 Apr. 2017)
- USA: Blood Donor Deferral Policy for Reducing the Risk of HIV Transmission by Blood and Blood Products (AABB Statement to FDA's BPAC, 4 Apr. 2017)
- Foell D, Glasmeyer S, Senninger N, Wolters H, Palmes D, Bahde R. Successful management of passenger lymphocyte syndrome in an ABO-compatible, nonidentical isolated bowel transplant: a case report and review of the literature. Transfusion. 2017 Mar 28 [E-pub 28 Mar. 2017)
- Gniadek TJ, McGonigle AM, Shirey RS, Brunker PA, Streiff M, Philosophe B, et al. A rare, potentially life-threatening presentation of passenger lymphocyte syndrome. (Case report) Transfusion. 2017 [E-pub 28 Mar. 2017]
- McCauley CJ,Morris K, Maguire K. A review of maternal alloimmunisation to Rh D in Northern Ireland. Transfus Med. 2017 Apr;27(2):132-5. Epub 2017 Jan 19.
- Nagaharu K, Sugimoto Y, Hoshi Y, Yamaguchi T, Ito R, Matsubayashi K, et al. Persistent symptomatic parvovirus B19 infection with severe thrombocytopenia transmitted by red blood cell transfusion containing low parvovirus B19 DNA levels. (Case report) Transfusion 2017 [E-pub 2 Apr. 2017)
- Zika and Other Transfusion Transmitted Viruses. Transfusion (Special Issue) March 2017;57(3pt2): 723866.
- Russia: Supreme Court hears case that could outlaw Jehovah's Witnesses (6 April 2017)
- Justice Ministry claim that, by refusing blood transfusions, Jehovah's Witnesses break law forbidding “extremism”.
- UK: Devoted air ambulance doctor and Army medic rewarded for her life-saving 'Blood on Board' legacy (5 April 2017)
- USA: Blood banks confident blood supply safe from Zika virus (7 April 2017)
- Ankcorn MJ, Tedder RS. Hepatitis E: the current state of play. Transfus Med. 2017 Apr;27(2):84-95.
- USA: Judge now decides case of RNs fired for ignoring transfusion policy or union activity (5 Apr. 2017)
- USA: Hearing of RNs fired for not following #transfusion policy or union activity soon wraps up (3 Apr. 2017)
- Cohen R, Escorcia A, Tasmin F2, Lima A, Lin Y, Lieberman L, Pendergrast J, Callum J, Cserti-Gazdewich C. Feeling the burn: the significant burden of febrile nonhemolytic transfusion reactions. Transfusion. 2017 Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- BC PBCO update to TMP0002: Blood Product Inventory Assessment, Order and Receipt
- BC PBCO update to TMP0014: TMP0014: Pretransfusion Examination
- PTE 0017: Managing Transfusion Requests of Patients on Daratumumab Therapy (v 1.0)
- USA: FDA delays off-label rule opposed by Big Pharma (17 Mar. 2017)
- UK (NHS tainted blood scandal): Victim payment scheme to be scaled back (7 Mar. 2017)
- TM blog: Sweet dreams are made of this (Musings on conferences and why we attend them)