What's New - September 2015 (By topic)
UPDATES: BC PBCO manuals: See Resource Library below
BC Ministry of Health:
West Nile Virus Update #2015-3 (26 August 2015)
- IPFA / BCA: Global Symposium on the Future for Blood and Plasma Donations (28-29 Sept. 2015, Fort Worth/Dallas)
- Canada: 13th Annual CBS International Symposium: Blood-Borne Pathogens: Defend, Detect, And Destroy (Toronto, Sept. 26, 2015)
- Sequencing study detects new virus -human hepegivirus 1- in blood transfusion recipients (22 Sept. 2015)
- Also see Kapoor, et al. under Journals below
- Canadian Blood Services employees on strike in PEI (14 Sept. 2015)
- Background: Without sufficient hours, no benefits (8 Sept. 2015)
- Hep C treatment costing $150K sought by NWT tainted blood victim (31 Aug. 2015)
- Medical laboratories face squeeze from retiring labor force, and more (Dark Daily, 26 Aug. 2015)
- Meeting: 13th Annual CBS International Symposium: Blood-Borne Pathogens: Defend, Detect, And Destroy (Toronto, Sept. 26, 2015)
- Also see Diseases (WNV) below
- Three die in Burdwan hospital after receiving blood transfusions (7 Sept. 2015) | Blood perhaps contaminated due to improper refrigeration
- Cost of pensions threatens blood transfusion service (31 Aug. 2015)
- Unravelling the truth about blood donation (13 Sept. 2015)
- Interesting examination of prejudices on being transfused and donating blood
- Nurse struck off for failing to detect many identity discrepancies and transfusing wrong ABO group (10 Sept. 2015)
- UK Nursing and Midwifery Council. Conduct and Competence Committee. Striking off order of B. A. Kingdom (1 Sept. 2015)
- Such disciplinary hearing are invariably fascinating and sad.
- Marathoner Paula Radcliffe's blood tests released (10 Sept. 2015)
- Also see Chaffe, et al., in Journals below.
- The rising risk of a contaminated blood supply (27 Sept. 2015)
- Blood plasma, sweat, and tears - many of poorest rely on stipends received for donating plasma (1 Sept. 2015, The Atlantic)
- Hutcheson Medical Center, Chapter 11 bankruptcy, close to being sold (3 Sept. 2015)
- Australia - CSL
- CSL proposes preferential 10% tax rate for advanced manufacturing using Aus-developed intellectual property (1 Sept. 2015)
- CSL's CFO Naylor blames unions for loss of plasma (7 Sept. 2015)
- CSL's gross profit margin is 51%; 2014 net profit after tax: US $1.3b [Source: CSL 2013-14 Report]
- CSL warns of biotech bubble (10 Aug. 2015)
See TraQ's Industry News
NEW TM blog: Sweet dreams are made of this (Musings on personalized medicine)
TM blog (August): The early days (Musings on educating young TM professionals)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
TM Medical Policy Manual Table of Contents (March 2015)
6.2 Indications for Irradiation of Blood Components (Revised 2015-03-06)
Technical Operations Manual: Common Procedures - Other
OM.0001 Processing a Canadian Blood Services Lookback (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
NEW OM.0003 Notifying the Lookback Recipient’s Physician (v. 1.1, 2015-07-02)
OM.0004 Completing the Documentation and Reporting for a Canadian Blood Services Lookback Notification (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
OM.0005 Lookback Process Flowmap (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample journal issues (Jan. 2015 unless indicated otherwise)
- Chaffe B, Glencross H, Jones J, Staves J, Capps-Jenner A, Mistry H, Bolton-Maggs P, McQuade M, Asher D. UK Transfusion Laboratory Collaborative: minimum standards for staff qualifications, training, competency and the use of information technology in hospital transfusion laboratories 2014. Transfus Med. 2014 Dec; 24(6): 335–40.
- Kapoor A, Kumar A, Simmonds P, Bhuva N, Singh Chauhan L, Lee B, et al. Virome analysis of transfusion recipients reveals a novel human virus that shares genomic features with hepaciviruses and pegiviruses. MBio. 2015 Sep 22;6(5). pii: e01466-15.
- Klein HG, Flegel WA, Natanson C. Red blood cell transfusion. Precision vs imprecision medicine. JAMA. Pub online 10 Sept. 2015.
- Pham HP, Marques MB , Williams III LA. Rhesus immune globulin dosing in the obesity epidemic era. (letter) Arch Pathol Lab Med 2015 Sept;139(9): 1084.