What's New - August 2015 (By topic)
UPDATES: BC PBCO manuals: See Resource Library below
BC Ministry of Health:
UPDATE West Nile Virus Update #2015-3 (26 August 2015)
- Canada: 13th Annual CBS International Symposium: Blood-Borne Pathogens: Defend, Detect, And Destroy (Toronto, Sept. 26, 2015)
- “Medicine Without Blood,” 3-part series in New Yorker on ways Jehovah’s Witnesses have changed how doctors think about blood transfusion: [Note: You get 6 free articles, so be careful if you also access their cartoons via Twitter.)
- 1. How Jehovah’s Witnesses are changing medicine (12 Aug. 2015)
- 2. Should anyone be given a blood transfusion? (13 Aug. 2015) Features Canadian Paul Hébert and co-researchers' landmark 1999 NEJM paper:
- Hébert PC, Wells G, Blajchman MA, Marshall J, Martin C, Pagliarello G, et al., and the Transfusion Requirements in Critical Care Investigators for the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. A multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial of transfusion requirements in critical care. N Engl J Med. 1999 Feb 11;340(6):409-17. (Full free text)
- 3. The ethics of bloodless medicine (14 Aug. 2015)
- Leaked IAAF doping files: Wada 'very alarmed' by allegations (2 Aug. 2015)
- 7 London marathon victories in 12 years 'under doping suspicion' (9 Aug. 2015)
- Some athletes ran risk of a stroke or heart attack from blood transfusions or red-cell-boosting drugs making blood too dense.
- 7 London marathon victories in 12 years 'under doping suspicion' (9 Aug. 2015)
- Hep C treatment costing $150K sought by NWT tainted blood victim (31 Aug. 2015)
- Medical laboratories face squeeze from: (Dark Daily, 26 Aug. 2015)
- Retiring labor force | Need to acquire new diagnostic technologies | Increased demand for lab tests
- In provinces across Canada, health systems are dealing with limited budgets, growing populations, and the need to transition to personalized medicine
- Diane Parsons, dead at 64 from complications of hepatitis C (5 Aug. 2015)
- Parsons was lead plaintiff in $1.18-b class action suit for those who contracted HCV from blood transfusions,1986-90
- Meeting: 13th Annual CBS International Symposium: Blood-Borne Pathogens: Defend, Detect, And Destroy (Toronto, Sept. 26, 2015)
- Also see Diseases (WNV) below
- Why experts are rethinking blood transfusions (4 Aug. 2015)
- Transfusion Outcomes Research Collaborative: Massive Transfusion Registry
- 6-year-old girl to save twin sister with thalassemia if funds raised for stem cell transplant (31 July 2015)
- Why blood donation is in such short supply (4 Aug. 2015)
- Banks to issue blood only on MBBS doctors' prescription (22 Aug. 2015)
- For interest: MBBS
- State-run blood banks in Gujarat sold plasma for profit and charged HIV and thalassemia patients excessive service charges (13 Aug. 2015)
- Blood banks broke national policy and evaded government oversight
- 10,000 children forced to sell their blood by Lucknow doctors (8 Aug. 2015)
- Ongoing court case of 28 children with thalassemia allegedly given HIV-infected blood transfusions in 2011 (5 Aug. 2015)
- Cost of pensions threatens blood transfusion service (31 Aug. 2015)
- 20% infected with HCV from blood products have died (13 Aug. 2015)
- 260 of 1,320 in 2004 database died (total TA-infected n=1700)
- 2014 SHOT Report
- Only 2 deaths definitely related to transfusion: 1 hemolytic transfusion reaction, 1 TACO. Delayed transfusion contributed to 3 deaths.
- NHSBT works with Barnsley firm to develop mobile app to help medics prescribe appropriate transfusions (17 Aug. 2015)
- Newcastle Blood Donor Centre's processing and manufacturing to move to Manchester by 2017 (3 Aug. 2015)
- NHSBT to move from 5 to 3 manufacturing facilities
- Man infected with HIV in 2010 launches civil suit against LifeSouth Community Blood Centers (26 Aug. 2015)
- Transgender man told he’s “higher risk” for plasma donation (20 Aug. 2015)
- Chicago hospital and staff sued after woman dies from allegedly being transfused with wrong blood type (29 July 2015)
- More on Iggbo, on-demand anytime/anywhere blood draw service (24 Aug. 2015)
- Iggbo stimulated by government crackdown on practice of paying process-and-handling fees to doctors that could be considered kickbacks.
- Gauss raises $3.3M for real-time surgical blood loss monitoring system using iPad camera and app (21 Aug. 2015)
- Good month for blood? Theranos's selfie lab test (17 Aug. 2015)
- Fascinating look at how CSL created its paid plasma success (8 Aug. 2015)
- CSL shares hit $100, stock up 54%, but influenza vaccines may hurt earnings growth (4 Aug. 2015)
- CSL asks government for 10% tax rate for 'advanced manufacturing' vs 30% overall corporate tax rate (3 Aug. 2015)
- Australians have to ask themselves whether they would prefer 10% of something or 30% of nothing.
- See TraQ's Industry News
- Babesia (USA): Parasitic threat is sneaking its way into blood supply (21 Aug. 2015)
NEW TM blog: The early days (Musings on educating young TM professionals)
July's TM blog: Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be hempaths (Musings on evolving TM careers)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
TM Medical Policy Manual Table of Contents (March 2015)
6.2 Indications for Irradiation of Blood Components (Revised 2015-03-06)
Technical Operations Manual: Common Procedures - Other
OM.0001 Processing a Canadian Blood Services Lookback (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
NEW OM.0003 Notifying the Lookback Recipient’s Physician (v. 1.1, 2015-07-02)
OM.0004 Completing the Documentation and Reporting for a Canadian Blood Services Lookback Notification (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
OM.0005 Lookback Process Flowmap (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample journal issues (Jan. 2015 unless indicated otherwise)
Abstracts of ISBT Regional Congress and conjoint BBTS Annual Conference, London, UK, June 27-July 1, 2015 (Vox Sang 2015 June;109 (S1):1-379. | Author index
- Bhar Kundu S, De A, Saha A, Bhattacharyya C. Pediatric patient with Bombay blood group: A rare case report. Saudi J Anaesth. 2015 Jul-Sep;9(3):318-20.
- Custer B, Kessler D, Vahidnia F, Leparc G, Krysztof DE, Shaz B, et al. & NHLBI Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study-II (REDS-II). Risk factors for retrovirus and hepatitis virus infections in accepted blood donors.Transfusion. 2015 May;55(5):1098-107. Epub 2014 Dec 4.
- Those with risks still donate and are identified only via laboratory screening tests
- Garg R, Kukar N, Bajwa SJ, Kaur S. Cold agglutinin disease in sepsis: a rare entity. J Basic Clin Pharm. 2015 Jun;6(3):98-100.
- Guerreiro JP, Danieli MV, Queiroz AO, Deffune E, Ferreira RR. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) applied during total knee arthroplasty. Rev Bras Ortop. 2015 Mar 12;50(2):186-94.
- Main EK, Goffman D, Scavone BM, Low LK, Bingham D, Fontaine PL, et al; National Parternship for Maternal Safety; Council for Patient Safety in Women's Health Care. National Partnership for Maternal Safety: consensus bundle on obstetric hemorrhage. Anesth Analg. 2015 Jul;121(1):142-8.
- Motta M, Vecchio AD, Chirico G. Fresh frozen plasma administration in the neonatal intensive care unit: evidence-based guidelines. Clin Perinatol. 2015 Sep;42(3):639-50. Epub 2015 May 16.
- Nickel RS, Josephson CD. Neonatal transfusion medicine: five major unanswered research questions for the twenty-first century. Clin Perinatol. 2015 Sep;42(3):499-513. Epub 2015 May 13.
- Pham HP, Marques MB , Williams III LA. Rhesus immune globulin dosing in the obesity epidemic era. (letter) Arch Pathol Lab Med 2015 Sept;139(9): 1084.
- Sparger K, Deschmann E, Sola-Visner M. Platelet transfusions in the neonatal intensive care unit. Clin Perinatol. 2015 Sep;42(3):613-23. Epub 2015 May 27.
- Thomas J, Moore G. Medical-legal issues in the agitated patient: cases and caveats. West J Emerg Med. 2013 Sep; 14(5): 559-65.
- Weaver AE, Hunter-Dunn C, Lyon RM, Lockey D, Krogh CL. The effectiveness of a 'Code Red' transfusion request policy initiated by pre-hospital physicians. Injury. 2015 Jun 17. pii: S0020-1383(15)00351-4. [Epub ahead of print]