What's New - Chronological (December 2014)
- BC PBCO
- Technical Operations Manual: TMP0011 - Neonatal Red Cell Transfusion(13 Nov. 2014)
- NT 0006: Preparing a Syringe for Emergency Neonatal Red Cell Transfusion
- Technical Operations Manual: TMP0021 - Transfusion Reaction Investigation (Multiple updates, Oct. 23, 2014)
- Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.3, Oct. 7, 2014)
- TraQ's December newsletter
- Australia: 2015 National Blood Symposium: Showcasing Excellence – Standard 7, Blood and Blood Products (June 11-12, 2015, Brisbane)
- USA: FDA recommends changing blood donor policy for MSM from definite deferral to 1 year since last sexual contact (Press release, 23 Dec. 2014)
- India: Ultra-rare blood types (12 Dec. 2014)
- TraQ's December newsletter
- TM blog: Angel (Musings on on communication errors in TM)
- Canada: Edmonton's STARS ambulance to carry 2 group O RBC (9 Dec. 2014)
- UK: Research continues to generate group O RBC from human stem cells (10 Dec. 2014) | Began with request from US military to build a machine that could be dropped from a helicopter onto a battle field and generate stem-cell-derived blood.
- Brouard D, Ratelle O, Perreault J, Boudreau D, St-Louis M. PCR-free blood group genotyping using a nanobiosensor. Vox Sang. 2014 Dec 3. doi: 10.1111/vox.12207. [Epub ahead of print]
- Morgan SJ, Rackham RA, Penny S, Lawson JR, Walsh RJ, Ismay SL. Business Continuity in Blood Services: two case studies from events with potentially catastrophic effect on the national provision of blood components. Vox Sang. 2014 Dec 3. doi: 10.1111/vox.12205. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sad to report death of Dr. Roslyn Yomtovian (Nov. 16, 2014) (9 Dec. 2014)
- Dr. Yomtovian served as the Director of the Blood Bank at University Hospitals of Cleveland for almost 18 years
- Australia (NBA): Series of case studies designed to 'end the waste'
- Ireland: Gay men's lifetime blood donor ban being reviewed (8 Dec. 2014)
- NZ: Jehovah's Witness dies after refusing blood transfusion (20 Oct. 2014)
- Full Report by NZ's Health and Disability Commissioner (30 June 2014) | Or Read in sections
- '... the only senior player in the [operating] room who did not know that the patient had declined blood products was the surgeon'
- UK: An NHS Trust v Child B and Others  EWHC 3486 (Fam)
- Judgment in respect of urgent application by NHS Trust to treat young boy with severe burns whose skin grafts might require a blood transfusion; Jehovah's Witness parents had refused consent to transfusion. Application granted.
- Hoffman A. Jehovah's Witness parents' refusal of blood transfusions: Ethical considerations for psychologists. J Health Psychol. 2014 Dec 4. pii: 1359105314558896. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bawazeer M, Ahmed N, Izadi H, McFarlan A, Nathens A, Pavenski K. Compliance with a massive transfusion protocol (MTP) impacts patient outcome. Injury. 2014 Oct 5. pii: S0020-1383(14)00460-4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Louw VJ. The difference in scope of practice between a specialist in transfusion medicine and the clinician who deals with transfusion on an ad hoc basis. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Oct 14. pii:S1473-0502 (14)00177-3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Louw VJ. Determining the outcomes for clinicians completing a postgraduate diploma in transfusion medicine. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Oct 16. pii: S1473-0502(14)00178-5. [Epub ahead of print]
- India: Blood recipients get HIV as labs lack cannot detect HIV in window period as NAT testing unavailable (1 Dec. 2014)
- UK: For 1st time in 66 yrs, nurses scoop historic win at blood transfusion awards (24 Nov. 2014)
- USA: FDA could soon ease 31-year-old ban on blood donations from gay men (29 Nov. 2014)