What's New - Chronological (September 2014)
- Ireland: Blood transfusion service ‘owes State €8.7m’ in staff pension deductions (27 Sept. 2014)
- Jator EK. Notorious anti-Jk3 in a pregnant woman. Clin Lab Sci. 2014 Spring;27(2):78-82.
- Dentali F, Sironi AP, Ageno W, Crestani S, Franchini M. ABO blood group and vascular disease: an update. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2014 Feb;40(1):49-59.
- Doyle B, Quigley J, Lambert M, Crumlish J, Walsh C, Adshead S, et al. Red cell alloimmunisation following intrauterine transfusion and the feasibility of providing extended phenotype-matched red cell units. Transfus Med. 2014 Sep 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Uceda Torres ME, Rodríguez Rodríguez JN, Sánchez Ramos JL, Alvarado Gómez F. Transfusion in palliative cancer patients: a review of the literature. J Palliat Med. 2014 Jan;17(1):88-104.
- USA: From chronic shortage to looming surplus: economics of blood market (15 Sept. 2014)
- Wilson K, Atkinson K, Keelan J. Three decades of MSM donor deferral policies. What have we learned? Int J Infect Dis. 2014 Jan;18:1-3. Review.
- New TM blog: Stand by me (Musings on effects of errors on transfusion professionals)
- TraQ's September newsletter
- UK: Grantham hospital to pay £10,000 compensation to patient whose OR was cancelled due to blood mixup as she lay on operating table (9 Sept. 2014) Did she have irregular antibodies and need antigen-negative RBC?
- WHO endorses blood transfusion to combat Ebola despite skepticism (5 Sept. 2014)
- USA: Freddie Mae Miller: 1928-2014; Transfusion expert a trailblazer at Medical College of Ohio (5 Sept. 2014) | Behind-the-scenes dedicated transfusion professional
- 2013 SHOT Report, Summary, and Supplement (Pub. 9 July 2014)
- Australia (NBA): 2015 National Blood Symposium: NSQHS Standard 7: Blood and Blood Products (June 11-12, 2015, Brisbane. Free registration)
- For more info as it becomes available: NBA Events
- Why do Canadians use so much IVIG? (CMAJ, 2 Sept. 2014) Many Drs. suspect prescribing IVIG might be driven by zero cost to patients, not efficacy.
- 20 Things you didn't know about blood (28 Aug. 2014)
- UK: Child with Diamond Blackfan Anemia highlights need for blood and transplant donors (21 Aug. 2014)
- Local centers shift methods as the blood industry shrinks (25 Aug. 2014) | Changes include outsourcing infectious disease testing
- Plan to disclose Big Pharma's payments to doctors hits speed bump (11 Aug. 2014)
- Big Pharma brandishes a big whip, promotes false, misleading ads to increase profits (18 Aug. 2014)
- Study questions harm of blood transfusion in acute myocardial infarction (21 Aug. 2014)
- Minimizing selection bias eliminates transfusion’s apparent mortality link in AMI patients (18 Aug. 2014)
- Salisbury AC, Reid KJ, Marso SP, Amin AP, Alexander KP, Wang TY, Spertus JA, Kosiborod M. Blood transfusion during acute myocardial infarction: association with mortality and variability across hospitals. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Aug 26;64(8):811-9.
- Plasma of Ebola survivors holds therapy potential (17 Aug. 2014)