What's New - Chronological (August 2014)
- BC PBCO
- CBS, BC & Yukon WNV Update #4, 22 Aug 2014
- BC PBCO & CBS Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (Oct. 2, 2014, Whistler, BC)
- Update: Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.1, Aug. 1, 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
TraQ's August newsletter
- Maldives: Press barred from trial hearing for ex-pat lab technician charged with negligence in HIV+ positive blood transfusion case (25 Aug. 2014)
- Fernández AM, Cronin J, Greenberg RS, Heitmiller ES. Pediatric preoperative blood ordering: when is a type and screen or crossmatch really needed? Paediatr Anaesth. 2014 Feb; 24(2):146-50. Epub 2013 Aug 19.
- Abstracts of the BBTS Annual Scientific Meeting, 24-26 September 2014. Pub online 26 Aug. 2014. (Full free text)
- USA: Blood industry shrinks as transfusion declines (22 Aug. 2014) | Mergers and creating new products and business lines wave of the future
- Plasma from young donors to be used in Alzheimer's trial (20 Aug. 2014)
- Students sell bodies to pay bills (20 Aug. 2014)
- Desborough MJ, Miller J, Thorpe SJ, Murphy MF, Misbah SA. Intravenous immunoglobulin-induced haemolysis: a case report and review of the literature. Transfus Med. 2014 Aug;24(4):219-26. Epub 2013 Oct 25.
- India: Saving lives is octogenarian’s way of life (18 Aug. 2014)
- Maldives: Case of foreign lab worker involved in HIV+ transfusion sent to court (17 Aug. 2014) Background:
- Expatriate lab technician at Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital taken into custody (1 Mar. 2014)
- Patient receives HIV+ blood (27 Feb. 2014)
- Arnold PD. Coagulation and the surgical neonate. Paediatr Anaesth. 2014 Jan;24(1):89-97.
- Canada: About 50% of eligible northern Ontario residents register to donate organs (6 Aug. 2014)
- UK (Human interest news)
- TraQ's August newsletter
- Goldman M, Lapierre D, Lemay L, Devine D, Sher G. Donor criteria for men who have sex with men: a Canadian perspective. Transfusion. 2014 Jul;54(7):1887-92.
- TM blog: The way we were (Musings on TM history and its lessons for today)
- Canada: CBS, BC & Yukon WNV Update #3, 8 Aug 2014 (via BC PBCO)
- USA: HIV positive man arrested and charged after donating plasma for $30 (8 Aug. 2014)
- AABB: Ebola Fact Sheet
- Evaluating the use of blood products for prehospital trauma patients: Blood vs. Crystalloids (5 Aug. 2014)
- Holcomb JB, Donathan DP, Cotton BA, et al. Prehospital transfusion of plasma and red blood cells in trauma patients. Prehosp Emerg Care. June 16, 2014.
- USA: Florida's One Blood and Pittsburgh's ITxM merging to cut costs (30 July 2014) | One Blood's announcement (25 July 2014)