What's New - Chronological (February 2014)
- Update: Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.1, Aug. 1, 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
TraQ's February newsletter | BC PBCO
- Annen K, Peterson L, Reed K. Reducing laboratory costs through education-based gatekeeping. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014 Mar; 138(3):301.
- Mo A, Lasica M, Zantomio D. Ask the expert (transfusion session): Severe intravascular haemolysis following intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) administration and use of red cell exchange. Pathology. 2014 Feb;46 Suppl 1:S31.
- Nightingale MJ, Ceulemans J, Agoston S, Van Mourik P, Marcou-Cherdel C4, Wickens B, Johnstone P. The value to blood establishments of supplier quality audit and of adopting a European Blood Alliance collaborative approach. Blood Transfus 2014 Jan;12(1):91-8. Epub 2013 Dec 11. [free full text]
- Sadofsky M, Knollmann-Ritschel B, Conran RM, Prystowsky B. National Standards in Pathology Education: Developing competencies for integrated medical school curricula. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014 Mar; 138(3): 328-32.
- Shi M, Xiao R,Woda BR, Yu H. Five important advances in hematopathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014 Mar; 138(3): 410-19.
- Canada: Postpartum hemorrhage increasing in Canada, study shows (21 Feb. 2014)
- Mehrabadi A, Liu S, Bartholomew S, Hutcheon JA, Kramer MS, Liston RM, Joseph KS. Temporal trends in postpartum hemorrhage and severe postpartum hemorrhage in Canada from 2003 to 2010. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014 Jan;36(1):21-33.
- Pakistan: 4 more illegal blood banks sealed (23 Feb. 2014)
- SmithKlineBeecham v. Abbott Labs - Part 2: 9th Circuit bars lawyers from removing gay/lesbian jurors (14 Feb. 2014)
- TraQ's February newsletter
- India: Most Mumbai blood bank not equipped to detect HBV, HCV, HIV (Use ELISA, not NAT) (9 Feb. 2014)
- USA (Michigan Court of Appeal): Family of Jehovah's Witness who died after refusing blood transfusion cannot claim medical malpractice (15 Jan. 2014)
- Court of Appeals ruling (9 Jan. 2014)
- Judge Boonstra's separate opinion to emphasize majority opinion and how they should be interpreted (Fascinating reading)
- Duplantie J, Martinez Gonzales O, Bois A, Nshimyumukiza L, Gekas J, Bujold E, Morin V, Vallée M, Giguère Y, Gagné C, Rousseau F, Reinharz D. Cost-effectiveness of the management of rh-negative pregnant women. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2013 Aug;35(8):730-40.
- Shrivastava P, Jain JP, Singh DN, Rana N. Acute non-immunologic hemolytic transfusion reaction due to intravenous dextrose infusion. Asian J Transfus Sci. 2013 Jul-Dec;7(2): 105-06. (Full free text) (Nice photos of gel method)
- St-Louis M, Constanzo-Yanez J, Ethier C, Lavoie J, Deschênes E, Perreault J. Red blood cell antigen portrait of self-identified Black donors in Quebec. Transfus Med 2014 Jan 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- TM blog: We are the world (Musings on sharing TM resources)
- January blog update - New comments under Addenda : Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be lab techs
- UK: Researchers discover revolutionary new way to freeze RBC (7 Feb. 2014)
- Unlike solvents, polymer would not need to be removed after thawing
- Deller RC, Vatish M, Mitchell DA, Gibson MI. Synthetic polymers enable non-vitreous cellular cryopreservation by reducing ice crystal growth during thawing. Nat Commun 2014 Feb 3;5:3244.
- USA: Blood donor whose phlebotomy resulted in 'complex regional pain syndrome' loses appeal. Judgement in favour of ARC stands (Filed 27 Jan. 2014)
- Hitting nerve with needle may happen, is not negligence, and was included in donor consent form
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Bolton-Maggs PHB, Cohen H. Serious Hazards of Transfusion (SHOT) haemovigilance and progress is improving transfusion safety. Br J Haematol 2013. (free full text)
- UK: Redhill and Kent air ambulance service performs nearly 70 emergency blood transfusions in first year (4 Feb. 2014)
- Australia: Blood loss in labour on the rise (2 Feb. 2014)