What's New - Chronological (January 2013)
- Update: Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.1, Aug. 1, 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
TraQ's January newsletter | BC PBCO
- USA: SmithKline Beecham v. Abbott Laboratories - Appeal Court ruling bars lawyers from removing gay / lesbian jurors (31 Jan. 2014)
- Abbott challenged the only known gay juror for a trial in which SKB challenged Abbott's controversial 400% price increase for an HIV medication [SKB is now GlaxoSmithKline, GSK]
- The panel held that, because of the history of excluding gays and lesbians from democratic institutions and the pervasiveness of stereotypes about the group, that equal protection forbids striking a juror on the basis of sexual orientation AND remanded the case for a new trial.
- Download SKB v Abbott appeal court case
- Case background
- ISBT launches haemochromatosis service (29 Jan. 2014)
- ISBT had serious blood delivery failures to hospitals with outsourced transport firm (30 Jan. 2014)
- Bolton-Maggs PH. Transfusion and hemovigilance in pediatrics. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2013 Dec;60(6):1527-40. (Author presents 16 yrs of the UK's SHOT)
- CSTM 2014 Conference (Conjoint Meeting with CBS & H-Q): May 1-4: Québec City
- Updated: TraQ's 2014 Calendar of Events
- Carlyle Group to buy Ortho Clinical Diagnostics from J&J for $4.15 billion (16 Jan. 2014)
- Nurse as Educator: Principles of Teaching and Learning for Nursing Practice Site designed to accompany textbook (Nurse as Educator) but can be used as stand-alone resource.
- Flegel WA, et al. Molecular immunohematology round table discussions at the AABB Annual Meeting, Boston 2012. Blood Transfus 2013 Oct 18:1-7.[Epub ahead of print] [Full free text]
- Komericki P, Grims RH, Aberer W, Kränke B. Near-fatal anaphylaxis caused by human serum albumin in fibrinogen and erythrocyte concentrates. Anaesthesia 2014 Feb;69(2):176-8. Epub 2013 Nov 9.
- Maclachlan K, Rushford K, Wood E. Postpartum haemorrhage: are we following the guidelines on coagulation monitoring and transfusion support? Pathology 2014 Feb;46 Suppl 1:S56.
- Cyprus: MPs called for creating independent unified blood centre to ensure safety of blood transfusion (17 Jan. 2014)
- Jamaica: Stop 'sunning' the babies, warns pediatrician (26 Jan. 2014)
- Kenya: Man held for allegedly bribing patient needing blood (22 Jan. 2014)
- UK: East Kent among several Trusts to begin using MSoft's 'Bloodhound' on iPods (24 Jan. 2014)
- India: Direct donor-patient blood transfusion to be legalized (16 Jan. 2014)
- TraQ's January newsletter
- New TM blog: Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be lab techs (Musings on what TM journals imply about med lab technologists/scientists)
- Canada: GlaxoSmithKline drug marketing change resonates with doctors (19 Dec. 2013)
- CMA President Dr. Louis Hugo Francescutti: “For those folks who may be a little too cozy with industry, this might be a wake-up call that times are changing.”
- Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
- J&J has 3 bids of at least $4 billion for OCD (15 Dec. 2013)
- NY Senator Schumer: If OCD sold, it protect jobs of ~1,400 Rochester area employees (10 Dec. 2013)
- USA: NY authorities sue Novartis in kickback scheme (9 Jan. 2014)
- Allard S, Green L, Hunt BJ. How we manage the haematological aspects of major obstetric haemorrhage. Br J Haematol. 2014 Jan;164(2):177-88. Epub 2013 Oct 28.
- Dentali F, Sironi AP, Ageno W, Crestani S, Franchini M. ABO blood group and vascular disease: an update. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2013 Dec 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Figueroa D. The Diego blood group system: a review. Immunohematology. 2013;29(2):73-81.
- Freedman J. The ONTraC Ontario program in blood conservation. Transfus Apher Sci. 2013 Dec 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Irfan SM, Uddin J, Zaheer HA, Sultan S, Baig A. Trends in transfusion transmitted infections among replacement blood donors in Karachi, Pakistan. Turk J Haematol. 2013 Jun;30(2):163-7. | Free full text
- Tidbit: Over 8 years (2004-11), 99.8% of 108,598 donors were 'replacement donors' of whom 164 (0.15%) were females.
- Freedman J. Transfusion - Whence and why. Transfus Apher Sci. 2013 Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Strindberg J, Lundahl J, Ajne G. Hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn owing to anti-U, successfully treated with repeated intrauterine transfusions. Immunohematology. 2013;29(2):51-4.
- Japan: Would-be donors persist in using donation as way to be tested for HIV (13 Dec. 2013)
- UK: DOH paid £1.5m to financial advisers who acted for govt in sale of Plasma Resources UK to Bain Capital founded by Mitt Romney (19 Dec. 2013)
- Fosset FT, Blais MC. Prevalence of feline blood groups in the Montreal area of Quebec, Canada. Can Vet J. 2014 Jan;55(1):1225-8.
- Karp JK. Transfusion medicine on American television. Transfus Med. 2013 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print]