What's New - Chronological (December 2013)
- Update: Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.1, Aug. 1, 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
NEW TraQ's December newsletter | BC PBCO
- Israeli: President Peres condemns rejecting Ethiopia-born MP as blood donor (12 Dec. 2013) | Donations not used from donors who've lived more than one year in nation with high HIV+ rate
- UK: Shortfall of 7,500 in blood donor study of donation interval (27 Dec. 2013) | Currently, men can donate WB every 12 wks, women every 16
- UK: Blood donation vCJD fears prompt inquiry (2 Dec. 2013) Study asked for after research revealed 1 in 2,000 Britons may carry vCJD
- USA: Paid plasma donor sues BioLife Plasma, alleging it falsely told her she had tested positive for HBV, HCV, HIV (21 Dec. 2013)
- High glucose levels in blood preservatives may limit transfusion success (18 Dec. 2013)
- Wang Y, Giebink A, Spence DM. Microfluidic evaluation of red cells collected and stored in modified processing solutions used in blood banking. Integr Biol (Camb). 2013 Dec 16;6(1):65-75.
- GlaxoSmithKline to stop paying doctors to promote its drugs and will scrap prescription targets for marketing staff | First for Big Pharma battling scandals over sales practices (17 Dec. 2013)
- GSK press release (17 Dec. 2013) | All the details, inc. 'GSK will continue to provide appropriate fees for services to healthcare professionals for GSK sponsored clinical research, advisory activities and market research.'
- View from UK: GSK, UK's biggest pharmaceutical company, to stop paying doctors tens of millions of £/yr to promote drugs
- Simple, portable test could make blood transfusions safer (17 Dec. 2013) | Chip-based magnetic nanosensor analyzes microvesicles, particles linked to blood quality
- Rho J, Chung J, Im H, Liong M, Shao H, Castro CM, Weissleder R, Lee H. Magnetic nanosensor for detection and profiling of erythrocyte-derived microvesicles. ACS Nano. 2013 Dec 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- TraQ's December newsletter
- TM blog: The long and winding road (Musings on 30 years of transfusion-associated AIDS)
- Blood may be able to transmit Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) (French National Institute for Agricultural Research press release, 12 Dec. 2013)
- Emergent BioSolutions pays $222M to acquire Winnipeg-based Cangene (11 Dec. 2014)
- Immucor's 2013 Form 10-K (Risk Factors, pp. 9-16 are interesting) | Also see blog, Goldfinger's filings, a customer's toolkit
- USA: HHS Advisory Committee on Blood and Tissue Safety asks government to institute surveillance system before permitting some gay and bisexual men to give blood (5 Dec. 2013)
- USA: Should paying bone marrow donors be banned? (5 Dec. 2013) | And does it matter if donation is by bone marrow aspiration or apheresis to obtain hematopoietic stem cells?
- 6 ways to make money by selling your body (2 Dec. 2013)
- GHEST symposium presentations (from 28 Sept. 2013)
- My First Transfusion, illustrated children's book by Thea Gagliardi and Nancy Stefin, illustrations by Erin Warkentin (2012, McMaster Transfusion Research Program)
- Transfusion Ontario: Informed Consent Transfusion App | Compatible with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch (Direct iTunes link)
- UK: Speaker presentations from 2013 BBTS conference (More than 70 presentations online)
- Butch S.H. Competency assessment in the transfusion service: tips and tools. MLO Observer, Oct. 2013.
- * Macdonald NE, O'Brien SF, Delage G. Transfusion and risk of infection in Canada: Update 2012. Paediatr Child Health. 2012 Dec;17(10):e102-e106. [Article in English, French]
- Thornton KM, Nyp MF, Music Aplenc L, Jones GL, Carpenter SL, Guest EM, Shapiro SM, Manimtim WM. An unusual case of rapidly progressive hyperbilirubinemia. Case Rep Pediatr. 2013;2013:284029. Epub 2013 Oct 29.
- * Tinmouth A, Thompson T, Arnold DM, Callum JL, Gagliardi K, Lauzon D, Owens W, Pinkerton P. Utilization of frozen plasma in Ontario: a provincewide audit reveals a high rate of inappropriate transfusions. Transfusion 2013 Oct;53(10):2222-9.