What's New - Chronological (November 2013)
- Update: Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.1, Aug. 1, 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
TraQ's November newsletter | BC PBCO
- India: State to initiate blood on call scheme (29 Nov. 2013)
- Instead of running around to arrange blood for transfusion, patients can get blood through a dedicated helpline with blood transported by motorcycle to hospitals
- UK: Patient bled to death after artery cut & transfusion delayed (27 Nov. 2013)
- USA: Unprotected sex by gay men rose nearly 20% from 2005 to 2011 (27 Nov. 2013)
- Japan: Patient infected with HIV after HIV+ donor blood not detected (26 Nov. 2013) | Factors inc. early infection, pools of 20 tested, donor lied about risky sexual behavior
- NZ: Serious Adverse Events Report 2012-13 (21 Nov. 2013, Health Quality & Safety Commission)
- Patient given incorrect blood | Nursing shift was busy & doctor may have been tired due to having only 3 hrs sleep overnight.
- UK: Drive to recruit more Muslim blood donors in Sheffield (21 Nov. 2013)
- USA: ARC to close national blood testing lab in Detroit amid national trend of declining demand for blood (24 Nov. 2013)
- AABB: Proposed 1st edition of Standards for a Patient Blood Management Program (Available for public comment from Nov. 20, 2013 to Jan. 20, 2014)
- Australia implemented a blood accreditation standard for all hospital and day centres in Sept. 2012 (Just found out)
- Canada: Nancy Heddle awarded Emil von Behring award from German Society of Transfusion Medicine & Immunohematology (Sept. 2013)
- Canada: Independent performance review of CBS released (April 2013)
- CBS management response to 2013 performance review (3 Oct. 2013)
- Australia: Unwanted greyhounds routinely drained of blood then euthanised (8 Nov. 2013)
- New study will test AB plasma use during air transport for patients in shock (31 Oct. 2013)
- New CSL plasma collection center opens in Vancouver, Washington (23 Oct. 2013)
- “Because of the wages to our employees and compensation we offer to our donors, each center brings in about $5-6 million dollars annually.”
- Ethical dilemmas surround those willing to sell blood, eggs (4 Nov. 2013)
- Selling it all (31 Oct. 2013)
- Prostitution...selling one's body to make a buck. But nowadays there are more legal options when it comes to self-profit. Options like donating plasma.
- CSL recognizes plasma donors for their lifesaving contributions to treating rare diseases (15 Oct. 2013)
- Blood Centers of the Pacific: As demand for blood wanes, Marin centers see change (27 Oct. 2013)
- Half of the center's 6 sites have closed. Within last 5 yrs, 150 staff positions eliminated.
- Iran's blood safety improves (6 Nov. 2013)
- Iranian WHO rep speaks on recognition of Iran as WHO Collaborating Center for Training and Research on Blood Safety (6 Nov. 2013) Iran has 100% voluntary blood donation, one of only 2 countries. Assume this excludes countries ~Canada that pay some plasma donors?
- Vietnam: Pregnant woman with placenta previa has severe HTR after 'wrong' blood transfusion (3 Nov. 2013) (Sounds like she suffered DIC followed by profuse hemorrhage)
- Brooks S, Squires JE. Hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn caused by anti-Lan. Transfusion. 2013 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brunker PA. Chimerism in transfusion medicine: The grandmother effect revisited.Chimerism. 2013 Nov 6;4(4). [Epub ahead of print] (Musings on why most transfused patients don't produce alloantibodies)
- Jardes DJ, Ross LA, Markovich JE. Hemolytic anemia after ingestion of the natural hair dye Lawsonia inermis (henna) in a dog. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 2013 Nov 1. [Epub ahead of print] (For your reading pleasure, something odd.)
- Popgeorgiev N, Colson P, Thuret I, Chiarioni J, Gallian P, Raoult D, Desnues C. Marseillevirus prevalence in multitransfused patients suggests blood transmission. J Clin Virol. 2013 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ranheim EA. A novel program for clinical pathology training for residents emphasizing high-impact and attending-level learning opportunities. Hum Pathol. 2013 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Reddoch KM, Pidcoke HF, Montgomery RK, Fedyk C, Aden JK, Ramasubramanian AK, Cap AP. Hemostatic function of apheresis platelets stored at 4 °C and 22 °C. Shock. 2013 Oct 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Robson JP Jr. We are better together: nurses' ability to affect change. Nephrol Nurs J. 2013 Jul-Aug;40(4):349-51. | Nephrology RNs decrease transfusion reactions in apheresed patients receiving FFP
- WHO's Model List of Essential Medicines amended to include blood and blood products (April 2013, final amendments Oct. 2013) See p. 20 | Also see March 2013 blog, Stop children what's that sound (Musings on commercialization of our blood supply)
- Haesebaert J, Bénet T, Michallet M, Vanhems P. Septic shock during platelet transfusion in a patient with acute myeloid leukaemia. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Oct 30.
- * Mertin S, Thomson I. What you need to know about IgA deficiency: A case study. J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2013 Sep 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Refaai MA, Blumberg N. Transfusion immunomodulation from a clinical perspective: an update. Expert Rev Hematol. 2013 Oct 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Steinsvåg CT, Espinosa A, Flesland O. Eight years with haemovigilance in Norway. What have we learnt? Transfus Apher Sci. 2013 Oct 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Varela JC, Brodsky RA. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and the age of therapeutic complement inhibition. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2013 Nov;9(11):1113-24.