What's New - Chronological (October 2013)
- Update Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.1, Aug. 1, 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
TraQ's October newsletter | BC PBCO
- An intercultural and semi-confessional reflection on blood donation (Came across this funny 2010 essay in CMAJ by 2 physicians on donating blood in Canada vs Australia) | 2013 CBS 'record of donation' questionnaire | ARC FAQ on blood donation
- GlaxoSmithKline: GSK boss says firm won't pull out of China despite corruption scandal (23 Oct. 2013)
- Cyprus: Health minister returns 'sloppy report' presented more than 6 months after man died from transfusion-related hepatitis B (23 Oct. 2013)
- Canada: Blood Regulations (published in Canada Gazette, Part II (CGII), 23 Oct. 2013 to come into force on 23 Oct. 2014)
- The Blood Regulations contain safety requirements with respect to blood for transfusion or for further manufacture and apply to all persons or establishments who perform any of the following activities related to blood: processing (donor suitability assessment, collection, testing and blood component preparation); transforming (washing, pooling and irradiating blood intended for transfusion); labelling; storing; record keeping; importing (for transfusion); distributing; and error, accident and adverse reaction investigation and reporting.
- CAN/CSA-Z902-10 (Blood Standard): Since relevant sections of the Blood Standard are referenced in the Blood Regulations, all blood establishments require access to the most current version of the Blood Standard, available on the CSA website.
- Transfusion Evidence Library (Resource by UK's NHSBT, based in Oxford Blood Centre)
- Canada: Kingston General Hospital hires TSO (Just saw news item from June)
- Australia: Post-graduate Certificate in Transfusion Practice (online course from University of Melbourne School of Nursing)
- Hellberg A, Westman JS, Thuresson B, Olsson ML. P1PK: the blood group system that changed its name and expanded. Immunohematology 2013;29(1):25-33.
- Kim MY, Chaudhary P, Shulman IA, Pullarkat V. Major non-ABO incompatibility caused by anti-Jk(a) in a patient before allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Immunohematology 2013;29(1):11-4.
- Nobles JR, Wong C. Warm autoantibodies: time for a change. Immunohematology 2013;29(1):5-10.
- TraQ's October newsletter
- Canada: CBS releases 2012-13 Report to Canadians (3 Oct. 2013) | Financial Report - Management Analysis
- Australia: CSL agrees to settle U.S. antitrust class action suit, ongoing since 2009 (7 Oct. 2013) Inc. paying $64million US
- USA: Australia-based CSL to offer jobs, quick cash with plasma collection center in Arizona shopping mall (8 Oct. 2013)
- Scotland: Collaboration to develop cell therapy across NHS, academia, government and industry (14 Oct. 2013)
- Rising star of the clinical diagnostic industry. Point-of-Care Testing (15 Sept. 2013)
- TM blog: Both sides now (Musings on transfusion medicine illusions)
- India: Dr. Jai Gopal Jolly, India's ‘Father of Transfusion Medicine, dies at age 87 (7 Oct. 2013)
- Sheryl Crow witnessed Lance Armstrong being transfused (10 Oct. 2013) More evidence that blood doping in biking an open secret
- USA: Hawaii Coast Guard drops 6 RBC, 1 platelet pack, 2 transfusion sets to cruise ship (7 Oct. 2013)
- Dubai wins bid to host ISBT world congress in Sept. 2016 (2 Oct. 2013) 1st time in Middle East
- Abstracts and Case Studies From the College of American Pathologists 2013 Annual Meeting (CAP ‘13)
- Cottrell S, Watson D, Eyre TA, Brunskill SJ, Dorée C, Murphy MF. Interventions to reduce wrong blood in tube errors in transfusion: a systematic review. Transfus Med Rev. 2013 Sep 25. pii: S0887-7963(13)00061-8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ramachandran R. Role of residents in medical student teaching. (letter) Arch Pathol Lab Med 2013 Oct; 137(10) 1325.
- Allen TC. Author's reply. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2013 Oct; 137(10) 1325.
- Canada: National Public Cord Blood Bank launches in Ottawa (30 Sept. 2013)
- Canada: 'Tainted' opens in Toronto, runs 25 Sept. 25- Oct.12 (26 Sept. 2013)
- Press release: Play tells story of Canada's blood scandal through eyes of a family with 3 hemophiliac sons who contracted HIV and HCV via transfusion
- UK: Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust’s blood management system to prevent errors wins national efficiency award in Pathology Services (30 Sept. 2013)