What's New - Chronological (July 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
- Android | Blackberry | iPhonehttp://www.traqprogram.ca/index.php/en/news/monthly-newsletter/item/526-mont
- For further info contact Quality and Utilization Management Program Coordinator via PBCO
TraQ's July newsletter | BC PBCO
- Blood transfusion: friend or foe in myelodysplastic syndromes? (Dr. David Bowen, St. James’s Institute of Oncology, Leeds, UK, 26 July 2013)
- Cameroon: Blood bank supply dwindles amid high hepatitis and HIV prevalence (25 July 2013)
- Hong Kong: Blood Transfusion Service defends its MSM policy (30 July 2013)
- USA: Florida's largest blood bank lays off 56 staff as it completes multi-center merger (29 July 2013)
- 'Hospitals are under tremendous pressure to contain expenses, and as their partners, we will do our part to mitigate price increases....'
- USA: Hepatitis C skyrockets among baby boomers in South Florida (28 July 2013)
- Canadians, health professionals divided on paid plasma (25 July 2013)
- Paid plasma clinic expects Health Canada approval (25 July 2013)
- For-profit plasma clinics risky business (22 July 2013)
- UK: State-owned NHS plasma supplier sold to USA private equity firm Bain Capital founded by Mitt Romney (19 July 2013) | Lord Owen: “The world plasma supply line has been in the past contaminated and I fear it will almost certainly continue to be contaminated.”
- Bambrick H, Gallego G. Community attitudes to remunerated blood donation in Australia: results from a national telephone survey. Transfus Med 2013; Published online: 22 July 2013.
- Lefrère JJ, Danic B. Transfusion and blood donation in comic strips. Transfus Med Rev. 2013 May 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rovira J, Cid J, Gutiérrez-García G, Pereira A, Fernández-Avilés F, Rosiñol L, et al. Fatal immune hemolytic anemia following allogeneic stem cell transplantation: report of 2 cases and review of literature. Transfus Med Rev. 2013 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Velthove KJ, Over J, Abbink K, Mart P. Janssen MP. Viral safety of human plasma–derived medicinal products: impact of regulation requirements. Transfus Med Rev 2013 July;27(3):179-83. | Because the residual risk of virus transmissions is also influenced by the incidence rate of infection in the donor population, it makes sense to control these incidence rates, as well.
- Canada: BC PBCO and CBS 13th Annual Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (27 Sept. 2013, Vancouver, BC) | Free Registration
- Canada: New blood donation rules take effect 2 decades after tainted-blood inquiry (22 July 2013) | Men can donate if no MSM in the last 5 years
- USA: Congress moves closer to lifting ban on transplanting organs from HIV+ donors to HIV+ recipients (19 July 2013)
- Ireland: IBTS to provide €2.5m to fund partnership with research centres to develop stem cell therapies (23 July 2013)
- USA (HHS): 2011 National Blood Collection and Utilization Report | Supply of allogeneic WB and RBC decreased 9.1% vs 2008, as collectors adjusted to correct the oversupply identified in 2009 report.
- AABB: Latest Fact Sheets on Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Canada: Protecting the blood supply from West Nile Virus, CBS, BC & Yukon WNV Update #2013-2 (19 July 2013) | TraQ's WNV clearinghouse
- UK: 2012 SHOT Report | 2013 SHOT Symposium presentations
- 9 deaths: 1 definitely caused by transfusion (TA-GvHD from non-irradiated IUT), 3 where transfusion contributed (hemolysis related to IVIg; TACO; HTR due to anti-Jka), and 5 where it possibly contributed (all TACO)
- USA: Medical malpractice lawyer press release on patient death in Brooklyn following RBC transfusion with wrong ABO group (18 July 2013)| It's the unlikely source of this old but fascinating paper from Germany:
- Krombach J, Kampe S, Gathof BS, Diefenbach C, Kasper SM. Human error: the persisting risk of blood transfusion: a report of five cases. Anesth Analg 2002 Jan;94(1):154-6. (Full free text. 5 cases studies showing how anesthesiologists, intensivists, and emergency physicians are particularly vulnerable to the risk of administering blood to the wrong recipient.)
- USA: Iron loss threatens blood supply (16 July 2013)
- Iron deficiency in blood donors: The REDS-II Donor Iron Status Evaluation (RISE) Study. Transfusion 2012 April; 52(4): 702-11. (Free full text)
- New study questions aggressive blood transfusions in trauma patients (15 July 2013)
- Nascimento B, Callum J, Tien H, Rubenfeld G, Pinto R, Yulia Lin Y, Rizoli S. Effect of a fixed-ratio (1:1:1) transfusion protocol versus laboratory-results-guided transfusion in patients with severe trauma: a randomized feasibility trial. CMAJ, Pub. July 15, 2013.
- USA: Man dies after transfusion mix-up at Coney Island Hospital (14 July 2013)
- TraQ's July newsletter
- TM blog: Day tripper (Musings on HC's instructions to the jury on paid plasma)
- Canada: HC launches public consultation on paid plasma (27 June 2013) | Feedback until 26 July 2013
- USA: AABB, ABC & ARC statement on "National Gay Blood Drive" scheduled for July 12
- USA: In 2010 blood transfusion most frequent hospital procedure (11 July 2013) | AHRQ
- Saudi Arabia: Girl infected with HIV+ blood transfusion demands $13 million (9 July 2013)
- Bangladesh: Group O woman dies after transfusion of group B blood (4 July 2013)
- Kubaski F, Lunkes DS, Onsten TG. Reporting of transfusion reactions in a hospital in Brazil. Blood Transfus 2013 Jan;11(1):151.