What's New - Chronological (April 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars now available (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
TraQ's April newsletter | BC PBCO
- TraQ's Calendar of Events (updated) | October is crowded
- 30-year old Durham 'Blood Group Serology' conference suspended
- HIV and hepatitis warning over illegal tattooists (27 Apr. 2013)
- vCJD rears up again (29 Apr. 2013)
- Blood transfusions 'could spark CJD deaths'
- Family of man who died from vCJD calls for reform of blood donations
- DOH response: Measures currently in place in the UK to reduce the potential risk of vCJD transmission via blood
- No evidence of any UK clinical cases of vCJD linked to blood transfusion given after 1999
- Canada: Paying for plasma raises new questions (25 Apr. 2013) and Health Canada supports paid plasma | Wow!
- Islam R, Tinmouth AT, Francis JJ, Brehaut JC, Born J, Stockton C, et al. A cross-country comparison of intensive care physicians' beliefs about their transfusion behaviour: a qualitative study using the Theoretical Domains Framework. Implement Sci. 2012 Sep 21;7:93. | Hard to identify a 'so-what statement.'
- Canada: More on paying for plasma
- Paying for plasma raises new questions. Health Canada says private clinics may pay donors for plasma, but critics wonder what is behind the push for a major change in policy (25 April 2013)
- Hemophilia Ontario opposed to paid plasma clinics (22 Apr. 2013)
- Health Canada pimps for paid plasma | Wow!
- Should federal and provincial regulators allow plasma-for-profit clinics to operate in Canada? (12 April 2013) Irfan Dhalla, internal medicine specialist at St. Michael’s Hospital and assistant professor at the University of Toronto: “If we have to pay donors, I would much rather see Canadian Blood Services providing payment to those donors than for-profit companies.”
- For fun: 'Suck it: the ins and outs of mouth pipetting' [Thanks to UK's IBMS April 2013 newsletter | Also see Dec. 2005 blog by TraQ webmaster: 'Reflections of a Blood Eater'
- Ireland: Major QA deficiencies cited at IBTS | Common to all blood suppliers but gotta love 'yellow sticky notes'
- UK: Have your say on the future of blood transfusion communication and consent (23 April 2013) | Great idea
- Russia: Toddler contacts HIV from transfusion with quarantined unit (15 April 2013)
- UK: NHSBT says during blood transfusions, although rare, errors do happen, and most are due to mistaken identity (12 April 2013)
- TraQ's April newsletter
- University of Toronto CME Module 4: Blood transfusions and Jehovah's Witnesses patients
- UK: DOH notes that Scotland's blood arrangements would need to be negotiated with NHSBT if it becomes independent (16 Mar. 2013)
- Doctors not informed of harmful effects of medicines during sales visits (10 Apr. 2013)
- Mintzes B, Lexchin J, Sutherland JM, Beaulieu MD, Wilkes MS, Durrieu G, Reynolds E. Pharmaceutical sales representatives and patient safety: a comparative prospective study of information quality in Canada, France and the United States. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Apr 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Morris A. Blajchman has retired as editor of Transfusion Medicine Reviews, a journal he founded 27 yrs ago. New editor is 'Sunny' Dzik, with Michael Murphy as associate editor. [Source: AABB News, Mar. 2013)
- Hepatitis C epidemic in US gay men is decades old (10 Apr. 2013)
- Witt MD, Seaberg EC, Darilay A, Young S, Badri S, Rinaldo CR, et al. Incident hepatitis C virus infection in men who have sex with men: a prospective cohort analysis from 1984 to 2011. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Mar 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Boy gets rare tick infection from platelet transfusion (3 Apr. 2013)
- Regan J, Matthias J, Green-Murphy A, Stanek D, Bertholf M, Pritt B, et al. A confirmed Ehrlichia ewingii infection likely acquired through platelet transfusion. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Mar 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tissot J-D, Lion N. Myths: history, blood, sex and money. (editorial) Blood Transfus 2013;11: 1-3.
- Flegel WA. ABO genotyping: the quest for clinical applications. Blood Transfus 2013; 11: 6-9.
- 15TH International Haemovigilance Seminar, Feb. 20-22, 2013, Brussels. Lectures and posters inc. (scroll to presentations)
- Goldman M. Donor hemovigilance. Blood Transfus, 2013 Feb; Suppl 1 (LE-01).
- Goldman R., Featherstone L., Lowthers W., Biemans J. Post-donation information: causes and consequences. Blood Transfus, 2013 Feb;Suppl 1 (P-22)