What's New - Chronological (March 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars now available (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
TraQ's March newsletter | BC PBCO
- USA (Missouri): Community Blood Center of the Ozarks lays off 18% of staff due to decline in blood transfusions (29 Mar. 2013)
- Canada: CSTM responds to blog, 'Stop children, what's that sound' (Musings on commercialization of our blood supply)
- Australia: CSL extracts plasma from USA donors and that is the core of its global business (21 Mar. 2013) | US plasma collection has helped many impoverished Americans and students, given that there are limited unemployment benefits and education is expensive. (Really?)
- International Forum. Education in transfusion medicine for medical students and doctors. Vox Sang 2013; 104(3); 250-72.
- USA (Illinois): Biotest plasma center expanding (15 Mar. 2013) | Plasma donations grew from 12.5 million (2006) to >23 million (2011). In Lincoln, Biotest pays $40 per donation & donors can donate 2x/week.
- Biochemical and genetic basis of the Vel blood group antigen solved (20 Mar. 2013)
- Ballif BA, Helias V, Peyrard T, Menanteau C, Saison C, Lucien N, et al. Disruption of SMIM1 causes the Vel- blood type. EMBO Mol Med. 2013 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Canada: Presentations from CSTM Education Day (02/03/2013, Kelowna, BC) Topics:
- Interesting Serological Case Studies - Julia Hendry
- How Often Should We Repeat Antibody Investigations - Dr. Gwen Clarke
- A Bedside Audit in Ontario - Wendy Owens
- Error Surveillance - The Hospital Perspective - Ann Wilson
- CSTM Membership Benefits - Kieran Biggins
- Canada (Canadian Hemophilia Society): Draft policy on paid plasma donations (11 Mar. 2013)
- It is difficult to put a price on human blood (11 Mar. 2013) by Margaret Sumerville, Director of the McGill Centre for Medicine, Ethics and Law
- Author examines philosophical arguments on commercializing the human body and the 'disturbing image of middle men making large profits out of one person's poverty and another's dire medical need'
- TM blog update (19 Mar. 2013): Stop children, what's that sound (Musings on commercialization of our blood supply)
- Ngo LT, Bruhn R, Custer B. Risk perception and its role in attitudes toward blood transfusion: a qualitative systematic review. Transfus Med Rev. 2013 Mar 13. pii: S0887-7963(13)00007-2. doi: 10.1016/j.tmrv.2013.02.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- USA (Indiana): New commercial plasma center to open to meet increased demand for plasma-derivative therapies (4 Mar. 2013) Frequent donors can earn ~$200/mth
- ARC believes paying donors runs risk of passing along contaminated blood and warns about emerging infections for which there are no tests.
- Today's plasma centers are locating in better areas “where donors are less likely to be infected.”
- In contrast, Toronto's planned plasma centre is located next door to a shelter for the poor and homeless.
- Research & Markets: Global blood plasma market report: 2013 Edition (Mar. 2013) | Pdf costs $800 USD | News item (13 Mar. 2013)
- The rivalry prevalent in the global blood plasma market is quite fierce with numerous local and global players contenting for the market share. On the global front, the key players are Baxter, CSL, Grifols and Octapharma.
- Canada: Paying donors for plasma: Have we forgotten about tainted blood? (3 Mar. 2013)
- TraQ's March newsletter
- TM blog: Stop children, what's that sound (Musings on commercialization of our blood supply)
- Stop for-profit blood clinics, Canadian Doctors for Medicare urge (13 Mar. 2013) | CDM website
- Ontario asks Health Canada to hold off approval of blood plasma clinics (11 Mar. 2013)
- CBS CEO Sher clarifies CBS's role in the national and international collection and use of plasma (13 Mar. 2013) | Prohibiting pay-for-plasma would harm patients (Sher's article in Toronto Star, 13 Mar. 2013)
- UK: Audit of NHS hospitals highlights errors in administering Rh immune globulin (13 March 2013)
- General: AABB, CBS, & ISBT* apply to WHO to add Whole Blood and Red Blood Cells to the essential medicines lists (WHO EML and WHO EMLc) * But see below (14 Dec. 2012)
- ISBT separately comments (21 Feb. 2013). "....However, we, are as yet uncertain as to the full impact that a listing might have on WHO member states. We, therefore urge the committee to take the time to consider this in detail when making a decision, for the reasons outlined...."
- ISBT clarifies its position (28 Feb. 2013)
- AABB CEO apologizes that application mistakenly included ISBT (8 Mar. 2013)
- European Blood Alliance argues for more debate & support for existing proven strategies (18 Feb. 2013) | EBA represents 25 countries, inc. UK
- Comments from National Institutes of Health, USA, on Expert Review No.2 (13 Mar. 2013) | Note: Harvey Klein of NIH is a past AABB president
- Industry: Immucor pays $3.9 M to settle price-fixing coverup claims (6 Mar. 2013)
- General: More on RBC shelf life: Blood older than three weeks not as effective, study finds (5 Mar. 2013) | Age of Blood Evaluation study
- Ireland: IBTS still refuses to accept donations from gay men as 'important safety measure' (4 Mar. 2013)
- Saudi Arabia: KSA institutes new rules following HIV error (9 Mar. 2013)
- In interim, director general, medical director, directors of laboratory & blood bank, BB technical supervisor sacked. BB Director & technical supervisor fined SR10,000 each (~$2,738 CDN)
- HIV transfusion girl seeks $13m payout (5 Mar. 2013)
- Switzerland: Swiss Red Cross to send less blood to Greece after delays in payments (25 Feb. 2013)
- General: 'Shelf life' of blood may be shorter than previously believed (4 Mar. 2013)
- Frank SM, Abazyan B, Ono M, Hogue CW, Cohen DB, Berkowitz DE, Ness PM, Barodka VM. Decreased erythrocyte deformability after transfusion and the effects of erythrocyte storage duration. Anesth Analg. 2013 Feb 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Payment for blood donor plasma comes to Canada (24 Feb. 2013)
- Sadly, Canada has 2 companies ready to pay donors for plasma (28 Feb. 2013) | Editorial
- CBS statement on 'pay for plasma' (25 Feb. 2013)
- Canadian Plasma Resources (website is lean, information scarce)
- Background (from Aug. 2012 TraQ newsletter): Pic of Toronto bldg. | EXAPharma (Same co.as Canadian Plasma Resources)
- Saudi Arabia: Widespread outrage over child's HIV+ transfusion (20 Feb. 2013) 7 health officials fired. Good discussion of KSA attitudes to HIV / AIDS
- Shimada M, Tanabe A, Gunshin M, Riffenburgh RH, Tanen DA. Resource utilization in the emergency department of a tertiary care university-based hospital in Tokyo before and after the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2012 Dec;27(6):515-8.