What's New - Chronological (January 2013)
- Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists - Webinars now available (Inc. slides & Q&A section)
- BC PBCO & BC Technical Resource Group: 'Transfusion Bits and Bytes' (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
- BC PBCO's New mobile web apps - BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator | Instructions:
TraQ's January newsletter | BC PBCO
- Bikmukhametov DA, Anokhin VA, Vinogradova AN, Triner WR, McNutt LA. Bias in medicine: a survey of medical student attitudes towards HIV-positive and marginalized patients in Russia, 2010. J Int AIDS Soc. 2012 Sep 27; 15(2): 17372. (Russia has significant HIV epidemic soon to escalate)
- Klein HG. Should blood be an essential medicine? N Engl J Med. 2013 Jan 17;368(3):199-201. | ISBT news item: Should blood be an essential medicine?
- Drug Lance Armstrong used can help eliminate need for blood during surgery (23 Jan. 2013) Nice promo for Canada's blood conservation programs (& EPO)
- Canada (CBS): Dr. Dana Devine discusses recent MSM submission to Health Canada (~7 min. audio file) | Dana Devine
- UK: NHS needs major IT update But money scarce and still smarting from failure of national electronic patient record system
- Video: 'Blood Detectives' Trailer | ASH's complete video library
- Molecular diagnostics - 'hot picks' from MLO | Also see blog, Do you believe in 'omics'?
- TraQ's January newsletter
- TM blog: Do you believe in Omics? (Musings on genomics as the savior of pathology)
- Australia (NBA): Patient Blood Management Guidelines (Jan. 2013 progress update)
- China: Probe into fake blood donation certificates begins (11 Jan. 2013)
- UK: Cash-strapped voluntary bikers who deliver blood to hospitals overwhelmed by donations (12 Jan. 2013)
- USA: One donor starts chain of 5 kidney transplants (11 Jan. 2013)
- Dammann M, Weber F. Personalized medicine: caught between hope, hype and the real world. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2012;67 Suppl 1:91-7.
- Parguiña AF, García A. Platelet proteomics in transfusion medicine: a reality with a challenging but promising future. Blood Transfus. 2012 May;10 Suppl 2:s113-4.
- Zolla L, D’Alessandro A. Shaking hands with the future through omics application in transfusion medicine and clinical biochemistry. Blood Transfus. 2012 May; 10(Suppl 2): s1s3.
- Canada: Economic Club of Canada announces official support for CBS campaign "For All Canadians" (11 Jan. 2013) | CBS needs to raise $12.5 million by 2014 for national public umbilical cord blood bank, then governments will maintain it
- Pitan C, Syed A, Murphy W, Akinlabi O, Finan A. Anti-S antibodies: an unusual cause of haemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn (HDFN). BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Jan 3;2013.
- Zielinski MD, Johnson PM, Jenkins D, Goussous N, Stubbs JR. JR. Emergency use of prethawed Group A plasma in trauma patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013 Jan;74(1):69-75. (Conclusion: Blood banks reticent to adopt massive transfusion protocols owing to supply concerns may safely use plasma Group A, expanding the pool of emergency release plasma donors.)
- UK BTS evaluates clinical safety of prion filtration using P-Capt™ (9 Jan. 2013)
- Elebute MO, Choo L, Mora A, Macrury C, Llewelyn C, Purohit S,et al. Transfusion of prion-filtered red cells does not increase the rate of alloimmunization or transfusion reactions in patients: results of the UK trial of prion-filtered versus standard red cells in surgical patients (PRISM A). Br J Haematol. 2013 Jan 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wall DP, Tonellato PJ. Genomics-informed pathology. The Scientist, 2013 Jan 1. (Also see It's time to bet on genomics)
- Fibrinogen could bypass intraoperative transfusion needs (2 Jan. 2013)
- Canada: Jehovah’s Witnesses quietly soften position on blood transfusions (20 Dec. 2012)
- Hong Kong: Dr. struck off for 8 mths for false claims about PRP for cosmetic surgery (3 Jan. 2013)
- UAE: Case of SA doctor accused of manslaughter for not giving vital transfusion close to being dismissed (3 Jan. 2013)
- Immucor to buy Hologic's Lifecodes (molecular & antibody-based assays) (3 Jan. 2013)