What's New - Chronological (July 2012)
- TraQ's July newsletter | BC PBCO |
- BC PBCO & BC Transfusion Medicine Advisory Group: Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists (open to Canadian clinical, technical, medical staff) July 16 to Sept. 28, 2012
- PBCO-CBS Joint Education Session on Transfusion Medicine Issues (26 Sept. 2012, Kamloops, BC)
- Cutting the risk of contaminated platelets (31 July 2012)
- 150 US hospitals adopt test to be used within 24 hrs of transfusion | PGD Test (Verax Biomedical)
- Test adds $25-$30 to average $540 cost of a unit of platelets
- Australia: Blood plasma giant CSL faces labour unrest (27 July 2012)
- NZ: NZBS activates contingency plan (30 July 2012)
- Hijji B, Parahoo K, Hussein MM, Barr O. Knowledge of blood transfusion among nurses. J Clin Nurs. 2012 Jul 25. [Epub ahead of print] Interesting demographics:
- N=248 from 20 countries; age 21–55 (mean 36 yrs); nursing education in Philippines (40%), Arab countries (13%), UAE (12%), developing, non-Arab (31%) & developed (4%). Most had Bachelor of Nursing degrees (56%) & <5 years of ward experience (66%).
- Most (85%) reported that they had never received any in-service training on blood transfusion.
- Australia paid $31 million to import IVIg in 2010-11 (20 July 2012) ARC appeals for plasma donations offset ~15 fold increase since 2003-4.
- Germany's Fresenius Kabi buys Fenwal for a rumoured $1.1 billion (21 July 2012) | Fresenius announcement
- Ireland: Court dismisses donor law suit vs govt/ISBT over alleged failure to inform him of HCV+ test (20 July 2012) (ISBT apologized)
- Canada: CADTH - 3 reports on therapeutic reviews of New Oral Anticoagulants for the Prevention of Thromboembolic Events in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation (April and June 2012)
- Goldman M, Uzicanin S, Yi QL, Acker J, Ramirez-Arcos S. Validation and implementation of a new hemoglobinometer for donor screening at Canadian Blood Services. Transfusion 2012 Jul; 52(7 Pt 2):1607-13.
- Terumo BCT awarded $3.5M by U.S. DOD for clinical trials on pathogen reduction (9 July 2012)
- USA: FDA puts hold on phase III clinical trials of hemophilia B drug, IB1001 (10 July 2012) (Also see Understanding clinical trials)
- Novel blood plasma treatment lures athletes to Germany (10 July 2012) Background:
- ISBT mobile app for Cancun congress (For fun, download & test for usability)
- TraQ's July newsletter
- TM blog: Got a feeling (Musings on blood doping)
- UK: SHOT's latest report now available
- USA: Americord CEO says kickbacks, deception common by 3 competitor cord blood banks (9 July 2012)
- USA: First case of alleged stem-cell fraud enters US courts (10 July 2012)
- For fun: Medscape Pathologists Lifestyle Report 2012
- Interesting finding? "...in a peculiar divergence from all physicians who responded, the highest happiness score (out of 5) reported by pathologists went to those who were divorced (4.05), followed by those who had remarried (4.03)...."
- Germany:WADA to help with probe into German blood doping scandal (5 July 2012)
- CBS to implement 2-site National Contact Centre (29 June 2012)
- Rationales include no mention of CBS decision to close Saint John's blood component production & distribution centre
- CBS to ask Health Canada to lift lifetime ban on MSM (5 July 2012)
- Joffe AR, et al. Donation after cardiocirculatory death: a call for a moratorium pending full public disclosure and fully informed consent. Philos Ethics Humanit Med 2011, 6:17.
- Rossaint R, et al. Management of bleeding following major trauma: an updated European guideline. Critical Care 2010, 14:R52.
- Dijkstra R, Wensing M, Thomas R, Akkermans R, Braspenning J, Grimshaw J, Richard Grol R. The relationship between organisational characteristics and the effects of clinical guidelines on medical performance in hospitals, a meta-analysis. BMC Health Services Research 2006, 6:53. (Old but interesting)
- BC PBCO & BC Transfusion Medicine Advisory Group announce the re-run of the free, online education series, Transfusion Reaction Education for BC Pathologists
- July 16 to September 28, 2012
- Registration opens July 9
- Open to all clinical, technical, & medical personnel in Canada
- Prior course 'Discussion Board'
- GlaxoSmithKline settles drug fraud case for $3B US & guilty plea (2 July 2012)
- CEO says GSK instituted reforms & learned from its mistakes
- It's all in the blood (Mourant among 1st to use blood groups as population genetic markers & apply them to Jews) (2 July 2012)