What's New - Chronological (April 2012)
TraQ's March newsletter | BC PBCO | Ongoing:
- Australia: Robert (Bob) Dunstan, Head of the School of Biomedical Sciences, Curtin University, passed away 16 Dec. 2010. (My apologies for the late notice, but I corresponded with Bob over the years and he was a generous colleague whom I greatly admired.)
- Canada: More fallout over CBS decision to close Thunder Bay plasma collection centre
- USA: Mom requires more than 540 units of blood products (~35 gallons) during delivery (11 April 2012)
- UK (DOH): Clinical guidelines for immunoglobulin use, ed. 2 update (July 2011) | Summary poster
- Russia: Blood donor ad by blood transfusion service Answers the question, "So why do we live?" (Cute promo - 1min. 17 sec. video)
- TraQ's March newsletter
- TM blog: While my guitar gently weeps (Musings on CBS's ongoing behavior)
- Canada: More fallout over CBS decision to close Thunder Bay plasma centre (also see 3 April below)
- Claims of CBS deceit in citing reduced demand without mentioning buying plasma from USA (9 Apr. 2012)
- A bloody shame (newspaper editorial) (4 Apr. 2012)
- No one saw this coming (letter to editor) (4 Apr. 2012) | Quote: Their reason for not informing anyone earlier? Coun. Larry Hebert said CBS officials told him “it would be better for staff.”
- USA: Organ donor's surgery death sparks questions (8 Apr. 2012)
- Industry news
- Bio-Rad co-founder David Schwartz dead at 88 (1 Apr. 2012) Idea that led to he & his wife creating Bio-Rad came about during a student bridge game in 1952
- Pharma's influence over published clinical evidence (4 Apr. 2012)
- Big Pharma spends over €40 million/yr lobbying in EU (7 Apr. 2012)
- Blood business gets more cutthroat: HCA & its 5 local hospitals drop Virginia Blood Services for ARC (22 Mar. 2012)
- Ching E. Solid Phase Red Cell Adherence Assay: A tubeless method for pretransfusion testing and other applications in transfusion science. Transfus Apher Sci. 2012 Apr 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Garza MN, Pulido LA, Amerson M, Ali FA, Greenhill BA, Griffin G, et al. A professional development model for medical laboratory scientists working in the immunohematology laboratory. Clin Lab Sci. 2012 Winter;25(1):2-6.
- Owens W, Gagliardi K, Lauzon D. Building better hospital transfusion committees for Ontario. Transfus Apher Sci. 2012 Apr 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pandit TN, Sarode R. Blood component support in acquired coagulopathic conditions: Is there a method to the madness? Am J Hematol. 2012 Mar 12. doi: 10.1002/ajh.23179. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sandler SG, Li W, Langeberg A, Landy HJ. New laboratory procedures and Rh blood type changes in a pregnant woman. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Feb;119(2 Pt 2):426-8.
- Squires A, Nasef N, Lin Y, Callum J, Khadawardi EM, Drolet C, Core D, Simmons B. Hemolytic disease of the newborn caused by anti-wright (anti-wra): case report and review of literature. Neonatal Netw. 2012 Mar 1;31(2):69-80.
- Win N, Needs M, Rahman S, Gold P, Ward S. An unusual case of an acute hemolytic transfusion reaction caused by an autoanti-I. Immunohematology. 2011;27(3):101-3.
- Canada: Thunder Bay fights to keep plasma centre (3 April 2012)
- Threat of closure always existed (former CBS employee's letter to editor)
- Canada: CBS to close Thunder Bay Plasma Centre (29 Mar. 2012) (2 weeks notice to staff?)