What's New - January 2012 (By topic)
TraQ's Calendar of Events (updated 23 Jan. 2012)
- RBC storage duration not associated with transfusion-related complications (21 Jan. 2012)
- Patrick Mollison, a giant of transfusion medicine, dead at 97
- Future of stem cell therapy (12 Jan. 2012)
- AABB Standards, proposed ed. 28 (Open for comment until 5 Mar. 2012)
- Also see Standards library
- Herbert Polesky, medical director of Memorial Blood Centers for 35 years, dead at 78
- Bloodtechnet learning competition returns Feb. 3rd, 2012
- NB abandons plan to create independent blood agency but opponents of CBS plant closure plan to continue fight (13 Jan. 2012)
- Patient Blood Management Guideline: Module 3 - Medical (Draft is open for consultation, 23 Jan. - 16 Mar. 2012)
- Review of blood system concludes reforms are needed (9 Jan. 2012)
- Private company to run NHS general hospital for first time (29 Jan. 2012)
- Background: Where lucre is still filthy
- Wales: Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board's hospitals reject ~ 7% of crossmatch samples (overall rejection rate <0.1%) (26 Jan. 2012)
- IBMS Blood Group Serology Durham Conference (23 Mar. 2012) (Check out the speakers)
- vCJD blood test being evaluated in UK and on samples from US ARC donors (13 Jan. 2012)
- Interview: Transfusion Practitioner for Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (16 Jan. 2012)
- 79 yr-old patient sent home with blood transfusion cannula still in arm (12 Jan. 2012)
- Jones BA, Darcy T, Souers RJ, Meier FA. Staffing benchmarks for clinical laboratories: a College of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of laboratory staffing at 98 institutions. Arch Path & Lab Med 2012 Feb;136(2):140-7.
- Armed Services Blood Program supports patient care world-wide (20 Jan. 2012)
- Florida won't block blood bank merger (12 Jan. 2012)
- Small Florida blood bank urges state to halt planned merger of 3 largest blood centers (5 Jan. 2012)
- Entire human genome for $1000 US (10 Jan. 2012)
* See TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
USA: CDC reports HCV transmission via transplants (22 Dec. 2011)
Transmission of hepatitis C virus through transplanted organs and tissue — Kentucky and Massachusetts, 2011. MMWR 2011 Dec 23; 60(50);1697-1700.
Resource Library / Links
USA (NIH): Guide to blood droplet 'snap freezing' of RBCs in liquid N2 (Blood droplets photo, cover of Transfusion, Dec. 2011)
NEW TM blog: Stand by me (Musings on bullying by health professionals)
- Carson JL, et al. and the FOCUS Investigators. Liberal or restrictive transfusion in high-risk patients after hip surgery. N Engl J Med. 2011 Dec 29;365(26):2453-62. Epub 2011 Dec 14.
- Barr PJ, Bailie KEM. Transfusion thresholds in focus (editorial) N Engl J Med 2011 Dec 29; 365(26):2532-3.
- Cherkas D. Traumatic hemorrhagic shock: advances in fluid management. Emerg Med Pract 2011 Nov;13(11):1-19.
- Eyles J, Heddle N, Webert K, Arnold E, McCurdy B. Do expert assessments converge? An exploratory case study of evaluating and managing a blood supply risk. BMC Public Health. 2011 Aug 24;11:666. (full free text)
- A case study of a major blood withdrawal in Ontario, Canada involving 1000s of blood components caused by a clerical issue with records of donation, with likely a minimal or no risk to the blood supply.
- Quotations from study participants reveal the spectrum of opinions by the different players on risk as hazard, liability, and precaution.