What's New - Chronological (September 2011)
TraQ & BC PBCO: PBCO TTISS - V2.0 docs - 'TTI 0001. Quick Reference Guide - Response to Transfusion Reaction' & model 'Transfusion Reaction Report Forms' (18 Aug. 2011) | TraQ's August newsletter | BC PBCO | Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (Sept. 28, 2011 in Castlegar, BC)
- Puetz J, Witmer C, Huang YS, Raffini L.Widespread use of fresh frozen plasma in US children’s hospitals despite limited evidence demonstrating a beneficial effect. J Pediatr 2011 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kids given plasma despite no clear benefit (29 Sept. 2011)
- Joint PBCO/CBS presentations (28 Sept. 2011, Castelgar, BC):
- Massive transfusion protocol in trauma (Maureen Wyatt)
- Working through blood transfusion challenges in rural hospitals (Cathy Lee)
- Exercise Red Snow (Susanna Darnel)
- CBS diagnostic services (Tony Dolnik)
- BC PBCO
- 'Technical Operations Manual': TR 0002. Evaluating the forms, samples and components/products involved in an acute transfusion reaction investigation, v 2.0
- Transfusion reaction education for BC pathologists (Oct. - Dec. 2011)
- Woolly mammoth's secrets for surviving cold suggests new Hb-based O2 carrier for hypothermic surgery (15 Sept. 2011)
- Wooly mammoth blood in news again (15 Sept. 2011) (Commentary from MIT on how scientific news is reported)
- Yuan Y, et al. A biochemical–biophysical study of hemoglobins from woolly mammoth, Asian elephant, and humans. Biochemistry, 2011:50 (34): 7350–60.
- Autologous blood test could be in place for London 2012 Olympics (12 Sept. 2011)
- Ireland: IBTS retains exclusion of MSM blood donorsISBT policy & rationales (12 Sept. 2011)
- USA: AABB meeting at a glance (What's hot & not in San Diego, Oct. 22–25, 2011)
- India: Investigation into child HIV cases after blood transfusions (12 Sept. 2011)
- UK: Lifetime blood donor ban on gay men to be lifted (8 Sept. 2011)
- DOH press release (8 Sept. 2011)
- Yank V, Logan AC, Randall S. Stafford RS. Off-Label use of recombinant Factor VIIa. Ann Intern Med 2011 Sep 6;155(5):338–9. (author reply)
- Logan AC, Yank V, Stafford RS. Off-label use of recombinant factor VIIa in U.S. hospitals: analysis of hospital records. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Apr 19;154:516–22.
- Yank V, Tuohy CV, Logan AC, Bravata DM, Staudenmayer K, Eisenhut R, et al. Systematic review: benefits and harms of in-hospital use of recombinant factor VIIa for off-label indications. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Apr19;154:529–40.
- Herwaldt BL, Linden JV, Bosserman E, Yond C, Olkowska D, Wilson M. Transfusion-associated babesiosis in the United States: A description of cases. Ann Intern Med 2011; 155. Pub. online 5 Sept. 2011. (full free text)
- Leiby DA. Transfusion-associated babesiosis: Shouldn't we be ticked off? (editorial) Ann Intern Med 2011 (full free text)
- TraQ's August newsletter
- TM blog: With love from me to you - Blood buddies (Musings on staff shortages & succession planning in transfusion medicine)
- UK - IBMS Congress: Transfusion Science program (26–28 Sept. 2011, Birmingham, UK)
- Interesting to see what others present at annual meetings
- USA: FDA found problems at new ARC blood centers (chronic under-staffing, inadequate training, quality-assurance lapses, & ineffective management)
- In Memoriam: Douglas Surgenor, PhD, pioneer in blood collection & transfusion methods (1 Sept. 2011)
- For history buffs, fascinating look at early research:
- Rosen FS. Book Review: 'Edwin J. Cohn and the development of protein chemistry' By Douglas M. Surgenor. N Engl J Med 2003 Jul 31; 349:511–2.
- Creager ANH. What blood told Dr Cohn': World War II, plasma fractionation, and the growth of human blood research. Stud Hist Phil Biol & Biomed Sci 1999; 30(3):377–405.