What's New - Chronological (July 2011)
- Densensitization helps hard-to-match kidney recipients
- Montgomery RA, Lonze BE, King KE, Kraus ES, Kucirka LM, Locke JE, et al. Desensitization in HLA-incompatible kidney recipients and survival. N Engl J Med 2011 Jul 28; 365(4):318–26.
- Ireland: Health Information and Quality Authority finds that prion filtration to prevent vCJD is not cost effective
- USA: HHS to review blood donation ban for gay and bisexual men
- Australia ('Blood Matters'):
- Online Graduate Certificate in Transfusion Medicine (School of Nursing, University of Melbourne, Australia)
- Report on 2010 blood storage & handling survey (13 July 2011)
- Audit of blood transfusion policy, procedures and administration practice, 2011 (useful data collection forms)
- General: Big Pharma wants to 'friend' you (24 July 2011)
- South Africa: SANBS reports on 5 yrs of NAT testing (Press release, 25 July 2011)
- Vermeulen, M., Reddy, R. Sensitivity of NAT Options: The SANBS Experience, South African National Blood Service (SANBS). ISBT Congress, Lisbon, Portugal, June 18-22, 2011.
- Jehovah's Witness dies after refusing blood - Doctor punctured liver & spleen during routine procedure) (14 July 2011)
- NHSBT: Blood & Transplant Matters (Spring 2011) (many interesting articles)
- USA (American Red Cross): A compendium of transfusion practice guidelines, ed. 1, 2010
- USA: Man says he was rejected at commercial blood & plasma center because he appeared gay
- 'Explosion' of sexual transmission of HCV in HIV+ men
- Sexual transmission of hepatitis C virus among HIV-infected men who have sex with men --- New York City, 2005–2010. MMWR 2011 Jul 22; 60(28):945–50.
- Canada: Dr. Noel Buskard, outspoken patient advocate, dead at 72
- Why stored blood becomes less safe - more research on nitric oxide, the storage lesion and transfusion complications
- Donadee C, Raat NJ, Kanias T, Tejero J, Lee JS, Kelley EE, et al. Nitric oxide scavenging by red blood cell microparticles and cell-free hemoglobin as a mechanism for the red cell storage lesion. Circulation 2011 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Potential claimants not notified about "Other Transfusions Claims" Fund (16 July 2011)
- BC woman calls for air ambulances to carry blood (19 July 2011) Austalian innovation saved daughter's life
- Australia: In-flight first for blood (26 April 2011)
- Canada: 'Mother of all cells' identified by Toronto researchers (8 July 2011)
- News report: Stem cell breakthrough (8 July 2011)
- Notta F, Doulatov S, Laurenti E, Poeppl A, Jurisica I, Dick JE. Isolation of single human hematopoietic stem cells capable of long-term multilineage engraftment. Science 2011 Jul 8; 333(6039):218–21.
- USA: Contaminated platelets implicated in Florida child's death (9 July 2011)
- Isbister JP, Shander A, Spahn DR, Erhard J, Farmer SL, Hofmann A. Adverse blood transfusion outcomes: establishing causation. Transfus Med Rev 2011 Apr; 25(2):89–101.
- Suggestions for how to evaluate if blood transfusions are indeed the cause of adverse effects such as immunomodulation.
- Australia: Proposal for rural standby donors (7 July 2011)
- To my knowledge 'walking blood donor' programs no longer exist in Canada.
- Hollis-Perry M. The pathologist: part of the team. Arch Pathol & Lab 2011 Jul;135(7): 823.
- Deck, JHN. The face of pathology in Afghanistan in 2006–2007. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2011 Feb; 135 (2):179–182.
- Of interest: Medical technologists are integral team members at the National Military Hospital in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Australia: African immigrants fear donor discrimination (28 June 2011)
- Polonsky MJ, Brijnath B, Renzaho AM. "They don't want our blood": Social inclusion and blood donation among African migrants in Australia. Soc Sci Med 2011 Jun 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Immucor to be bought by investment firm, TPG Capital, for $1.973 billion (5 July 2011)