What's New - Chronological (May 2011)
Also see What's new by topic
- 2011 Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (BC PBCO & CBS in conjunction with BCSLS Congress)
- Science papers ‘cast further doubt’ on XMRV’s link to CFS
- UK: Government launches 'listening exercises' to modernise NHS
- Krog GR, Clausen FB, Berkowicz A, Jørgensen L, Rieneck K, Nielsen LK, Dziegiel MH. Is current serologic RhD typing of blood donors sufficient for avoiding immunization of recipients? Transfusion 2011 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shaikh S, Sloan SR. Clearance of maternal isohemagglutinins from infant circulation. Transfusion 2011 May;51:938-42. e-Pub: 26 Oct 2010.
- Morgan S, Sorensen P, Vercellotti G, Zantek ND. Haemolysis after treatment with intravenous immunoglobulin due to anti-A. Transfus Med 2011. [Epub 23 May 2011 ahead of print]
- Bulgaria: Black market in blood flourishes (23 May 2011)
- Research employing electrical properties to distinguish new from old red cells may have clinical uses (18 May 2011)
- Huang YX, Wu ZJ, Mehrishi J, Huang BT, Chen XY, Zheng XJ, Liu WJ, Luo M. Human red blood cell aging: correlative changes in surface charge and cell properties. J Cell Mol Med 2011 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wallis JP. Strategies to reduce transfusion acquired vCJD. Transfus Med. 2011 Feb;21(1):1-6.
- Canada: Massive Transfusion Consensus Conference (June 9 - 11, 2011)
- Can platelet transfusions trigger severe reactions in those with peanut allergies? (18 May 2011)
- Jacobs JFM, et al. Anaphylaxis from passive transfer of peanut allergen, in a blood product. N Engl J Med 2011 May 19: 364(20): 1981-2.
- Court EL, Robinson JA, Hocken DB. Informed consent and patient understanding of blood transfusion. Transfus Med 2011;21(3):183-9, June 2011.
- Strobel E, Betten S. Novel aspects in the evaluation of an automated blood group analyser. Transfus Med 2011;21(3):205-8, June 2011.
- Australia: Hemoglobin-based experimental blood substitute (HBOC-201) from the USA saves Jehovah’s Witness (5 May 2011)
- Mexico: Blood donors in short supply amid drug war (5 May 2011)
- Karp JK, Weston CM, King KE. Transfusion medicine in American undergraduate medical education. Transfusion. 2011 May 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Australia: Walk-in military blood bank in Afghanistan (3 May 2011)
- Grifols, Talecris reach agreement with U.S. antitrust officials on merger (2 May 2011)
- Twitter for docs, a guide for health care for professionals (blog)
- Supervisory positions in histology and blood banks hard to fill (Dark Report, 25 April 2011)
- Examing the safety of transfusing older red cells (23 April 2011)
- Australia: Aussie helicopter paramedics first to carry own blood supply (26 April 2011)
- Johnson & Johnson - looking for a band-aid to combat business woes (The Economist, 20 April 2011)
- World anti-doping lab looks for test to detect plasticizers from blood bags (20 April 2011)
- Mostaghimi A, Crotty BH. Professionalism in the digital age. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Apr 19;154(8):560-2.
- Off-label use of F VIIa soars (18 April 2011)
- Yank V, Tuohy CV, Logan AC, Bravata DM, Staudenmayer K, Eisenhut R, et al. Systematic review.Benefits and harms of in-hospital use of recombinant Factor VIIa for off-label indications. Ann Intern Med 2011 Ap 19;154:529-40.
- Logan AC, Yank V, Stafford RS. Off-label use of recombinant Factor VIIa in U.S. hospitals: analysis of hospital records. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Apr 19;154(8):516-22.
- Goddard K, Shabestari O, Kay JD, Roudsari A. Formatively evaluating the importance of different aspects of an electronic blood transfusion system from the end users' point of view: a questionnaire study. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160(Pt 2):1211-5.