- WHO: Consolidated guidelines on HIV prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care for key populations (July 2014)
- USA: Activists fight MSM policy with National Gay Blood Drive (11 July 2014)
- AABB, ABC, ARC Joint statement on National Gay Blood Drive (26 June 2014)
- NEW BC PBCO & CBS Education Session on Blood Transfusion Issues (Oct. 2, 2014, Whistler, BC)
- Ontario's RN association urges Premier to ban medical tourism and for-profit plasma collection (4 July 2014)
- Re-elected Ontario govt. set to ban paid plasma clinics (6 July 2014)
- CSTM 2014 conference abstracts | Follow CSTM on Twitter
- Blood and Blood Components, Draft 3rd ed. (Public review to 25 July, 2014) | Register, confirm by e-mail, then log-in, then search (Hint: search for 'blood')
- 12th Annual CBS International Symposium - Plasma: Transfuse it, Fractionate it or Forget it? (13 Sept. 2014, Toronto, ON)
- Blood Regulations (published in Canada Gazette, Part II (CGII), 23 Oct. 2013 to come into force on 23 Oct. 2014)
- CAN/CSA-Z902-10 (Blood Standard): Since relevant sections of the Blood Standard are referenced in the Blood Regulations, all blood establishments require access to the most current version of the Blood Standard (available on CSA website)
- NBA (public consultations): Recognition and Management of Acute Transfusion Reactions Chart (Open until 6 Aug. 2014) | Closed public consultations also available
- Northern Ireland: Lots of NI citizens still can’t donate blood because of 2004 vCJD policy (11 July 2014)
- Scotland: Blood transfusion inquiry cost spirals to £12m (2 July 2014)
- Biomedical scientists at Northampton General Hospital locked out after planning industrial action over losing up to £6,000/yr (2 July 2014)
- Lab staff told to work normally or stay away (BBC, 9 July 2014)
- Multimillion-$ lawsuit brewing between Oklahoma Blood Institute and General Blood (9 July 2014) | Shows dangers in the business of blood
- Background: The guys who trade your blood for profit (Forbes, 6 July 2012)
- Another news item on 'Shortage Of Saline Solution Has Hospitals On Edge' (22 June 2014)
- Spain's Grifols opens $370 million plasma fractionation plant in NC, USA (17 June 2014) | Since 2001 Grifols has invested $7 billion in USA
- HIV: See WHO under General above
- WNV - Canada (BC MOH): 2014 Action Plan for West Nile Virus and the blood supply
- Chikungunya virus - USA: More states report cases of mosquito-borne chikungunya virus (12 June 2014)
- Davidson LR, Llewelyn CA, Mackenzie JM, Hewitt PE, Will RG. Variant CJD and blood transfusion: are there additional cases? Vox Sang. 2014 Jun 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Doyle B, Quigley J, Lambert M, Crumlish J, Walsh C, McParland P, Culliton M, Murphy K, Fitzgerald J. A correlation between severe haemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn and maternal ABO blood group. Transfus Med. 2014 Jun 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dutton RP, Lee LA, Stephens LS, Posner KL, Davies JM, Domino KB. Massive hemorrhage: a report from the Anesthesia Closed Claims Project. Anesthesiology. 2014 Jul 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Epstein J, Ganz PR, Seitz R, Jutzi M, Schaerer C, Michaud G, et al. A shared regulatory perspective on deferral from blood donation of men who have sex with men (MSM). Vox Sang. 2014 Jun 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Faddy H, Seed C, Lau C, Racloz V, Flower R, Smythe L, et al. Antibodies to Leptospira among blood donors in higher-risk areas of Australia: possible implications for transfusion safety. Blood Transfus. 2014 Jun 19:1-5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Garabedian C, Philippe M, Vaast P, Wibaut B, Salleron J, Delsalle A, Rakza T, Subtil D, Houfflin-Debarge V. Is intrauterine exchange transfusion a safe procedure for management of fetal anaemia? Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2014 May 20;179C:83-87. [Epub ahead of print]
- Haspel RL, Lin Y, Fisher P, Ali A, Parks E; Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) Collaborative. Development of a validated exam to assess physician transfusion medicine knowledge. Transfusion. 2014 May;54(5):1225-30. Epub 2013 Sep 30.
- Video: A validated TM exam
- Mazepa MA, Raval JS, Park YA; Education Committee of the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists. Pathology consultation on electronic crossmatch. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 May;141(5):618-24. | Why a basic paper on the e-XM, around since the 1990s?
- Mousavi SA, Hermundstad B, Kjustad Frøyland E-M, Llohn AH, KnutsenTR. Poor appointment-keeping behaviour among repeat blood donors and its relationship to the intent to donate again. Transfus Med 2014. Pub. online 7 JUL 2014.
- Nascimento B, Goodnough LT, Levy JH. Cryoprecipitate therapy. Br J Anaesth. 2014 Jun 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Singh S, Chand G, Charan S, Arora S, Singh P. Recurrent severe anaemia: a rare presentation of parvovirus b19 infection. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014 Apr;8(4):MD01-2. Epub 2014 Apr 15.
- Wong-Sefdan I, Ale-Ali A, DeMoor PA, Martinez S, Curtin P, Lane T, Roeland E. Implementing inpatient, evidence-based, antihistamine-transfusion premedication guidelines at a single academic US hospital. J Community Support Oncol. 2014 Feb;12(2):56-64.
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
New TM blog: Turn! Turn! Turn! (Musings on how the TM community now puts cost above all)
BBTS blog: Do you believe (Musings on cloud-based software services by a transfusion medicine techno heretic)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Older resources (BC PBCO)
BC Serology Interest Group: Passing the Serology Torch videos (11 videos ranging from~20 to 60 mins.
BC PBCO and BC TRG: Transfusion Bits and Bytes (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
Journals, etc.Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors