TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
If TraQ is useful, please let us know: Contact:
January's newsletter includes these highlights:
International news featuring:
- RBC storage duration not associated with transfusion-related complications
- AABB Standards, proposed ed. 28 (Open for comment until 5 Mar. 2012)
- Bloodtechnet learning competition returns Feb. 24, 2012
- NAC: Revisions to the National Plan for the Management of Shortages of Labile Blood Components
- NB abandons plan for independent blood agency but opponents of CBS plant closure plan to continue fight
- St John mayor threatens legal action
- Union demands blood supply inquiry
- Draft 'Patient Blood Management Guideline: Module 3 - Medical'
- Anti-doping agency investigates 28 athletes for blood doping
involving UV light
- Two patients die after transfusion of HIV-infected blood provided by Turkish Red Crescent
- IBMS Blood Group Serology Durham Conference (23 Mar. 2012)
- Private company to run NHS general hospital for first time (Background: Where lucre is still filthy)
- Wales: Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board's hospitals reject ~ 7% of crossmatch samples
- vCJD blood test being evaluated in UK and on samples from US ARC donors
- Interview: Transfusion Practitioner for Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- ARC fined $9.6 million for unsafe blood collection
- CAP Q-Probes survey on staffing benchmarks for clinical laboratories
- Armed Services Blood Program supports patient care world-wide
- Florida won't block blood bank merger
- Nanotechnology: Diagnostic Chips releases hand-held flow cytometer weighing < 1.5 lbs
Diseases in the news:
- UK: vCJD blood test being evaluated in UK and on samples from US ARC donors
- Blast from the past: All about HIV testing; The business of tracking deadly viruses (1992)
- Canada (NAC): Revisions to the National Plan for the Management of Shortages of Labile Blood Components
- USA : Guide to blood droplet 'snap freezing' of RBCs in liquid N2
- New TM blog: Wasted days and wasted nights? (Musings on transfusion professionals use of the Internet)
and much more...
- Papers that focus on quality management, including
- Panel report of the Canadian National Advisory Committee on Blood and Blood Products 'Massive Transfusion Consensus Conference 2011'
- Paper on guidelines for the use of albumin & the effect on albumin prescribing practices in British Columbia, Canada
E-mail this page to a friend
TraQ & PBCO
For the latest news see What's new - chronological
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
* Also see TraQ's 'Disease clearinghouses' in top menu
Resource Library / Links
Canada: NAC: Revisions to the National Plan for the Management of Shortages of Labile Blood Components (2 Feb. 2012)
USA (NIH): Guide to blood droplet 'snap freezing' of RBCs in liquid N2 (Blood droplets photo, cover of Transfusion, Dec. 2011)
NEW TM blog: Wasted days and wasted nights (Musings on transfusion professionals use of the Internet)
*See TraQ's Resource Library | Nursing resources | Literature clearinghouses | Links | Continuing education | Jobs | Video library
Free full text | (* 1 or more Canadian authors)
- Cherkas D. Traumatic hemorrhagic shock: advances in fluid management. Emerg Med Pract 2011 Nov;13(11):1-19.
- * Dzik et al. Clinical review: Canadian National Advisory Committee on Blood and Blood Products – Massive Transfusion Consensus Conference 2011: report of the panel. Crit Care 2011; 15:242. (free full text)
- Jones BA, Darcy T, Souers RJ, Meier FA. Staffing benchmarks for clinical laboratories: a College of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of laboratory staffing at 98 institutions. Arch Path & Lab Med 2012 Feb;136(2):140-7.
- * King W-S, Roland K, Selin S, Chipperfield KM, Morrison D. Introduction of guidelines for the use of albumin and the effect on albumin prescribing practices in British Columbia. BCMJ 2012 Jan, Feb; 54(1): 34-8.
- Kumar A, Figueroa PI, Gowans KL, Parker BM, Proctor AW, Benitez-Santana SM, Koch C. An evolution in blood management: past, present, and future. Qual Manag Health Care. 2011 Oct-Dec;20(4):311-21.
- Mohandas A, Foley KA, Nash DB, Doria C. Role of quality improvement in prevention of inappropriate transfusions. Qual Manag Health Care. 2011 Oct-Dec;20(4):298-310.