- Sad to report death of Dr. Roslyn Yomtovian (Nov. 16, 2014) (9 Dec. 2014)
- Dr. Yomtovian served as the Director of the Blood Bank at University Hospitals of Cleveland for almost 18 years
- Why the hell can't you donate blood in America if you've had sex with another man? (11 Dec. 2014)
- Endless blood. How smart use of an old technology is saving women’s lives. (25 Nov. 2014) | Musings on benefits of massive transfusion protocol
- Precision blood rinsing | Microfluidic device safely removes glycerol from thawed RBC in minutes, potentially making frozen blood more feasible for routine transfusions (25 Nov. 2014)
- Lusianti RE, Higgins AZ. Continuous removal of glycerol from frozen-thawed red blood cells in a microfluidic membrane device. Biomicrofluidics 2014;8, 054124. Full free text)
- Petrini C. Production of plasma-derived medicinal products: ethical implications for blood donation and donors. Blood Transfus. Jan 2014; 12(Suppl 1): s389–s394. (Full free text)
- White paper: Bridging the generational divide (Managing different generations in the workforce)
- Platelet Transfusion: A Clinical Practice Guideline From the AABB (11 Nov. 2014) | Full free text
- Beverly Padget, MLT, ART (CSMLS), CQA (ASQ) leaves CBS after a 40+ year association
- Bev is the Transfusion Medicine Program Coordinator, Alberta Laboratory Quality Enhancement Program, of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
- Also an experienced AABB assessor who has given many presentations at AABB over the years
- One of many behind-the-scenes medical laboratory technologists/scientists who make huge difference to transfusion safety
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario applauds government, opposition parties for unanimously rejecting for-profit plasma collection (12 Dec. 2014)
- Edmonton's STARS ambulance to carry 2 group O RBC (9 Dec. 2014)
- Blood recipients get HIV as labs lack cannot detect HIV in window period as NAT testing unavailable (1 Dec. 2014)
- Excessive platelet transfusion resulting in TRALI may have killed 4 dengue victims (23 Nov. 2014)
- Gay men's lifetime blood donor ban being reviewed (8 Dec. 2014)
- Jehovah's Witness dies after refusing blood transfusion (20 Oct. 2014)
- Full Report by NZ's Health and Disability Commissioner (30 June 2014) | Or Read in sections
- '... the only senior player in the [operating] room who did not know that the patient had declined blood products was the surgeon'
- Committee finds no HIV case in thalassemia patients (5 Dec. 2014)
- 10 thalassemic children get HIV from transfusions (4 Dec. 2014)
- Research continues to generate group O RBC from human stem cells (10 Dec. 2014) | Began with request from US military to build a machine that could be dropped from a helicopter onto a battle field and generate stem-cell-derived blood.
- An NHS Trust v Child B and Others  EWHC 3486 (Fam)
- Judgment in respect of urgent application by NHS Trust to treat young boy with severe burns whose skin grafts might require a blood transfusion; Jehovah's Witness parents had refused consent to transfusion. Application granted.
- For 1st time in 66 yrs, nurses scoop historic win at blood transfusion awards (24 Nov. 2014)
- NHS adopts trauma skills developed in Afghanistan (2 Nov. 2014)
- Usual medical practice is ABCDE – airway, breathing, circulation, disability, exposure, but in Afghanistan it was 'control of catastrophic haemorrhage'. If you've got both legs and an arm missing, you'll dump your blood volume into dirt long before an airway problem kills you.
- FDA fails to decide on gay blood donors (6 Dec. 2014)
- Donating by gay men: USA HHS blood advisory panel recommends 16-2 that MSM can donate after 1 yr deferral (13 Nov. 2014)
- Blood for Money: Getting paid to donate (24 Nov. 2014)
- Also see General above
- UK: News on Cambridge University Hospitals (CUH) £200 million eHospital system (Epic Systems):
- Oct. 27: Thick patient files a thing of the past with new eHospital
- Oct. 29: CUH reassures patients that eHospital system is fighting fit, didn't crash
- Nov.14: eHospital system under spotlight after incident in operating theatre
- Background: Staggering cost of an Epic electronic health record might not be worth it (June 2012, Forbes) | Epic Systems' tough billionaire, Judith Faulkner (May 2012, Forbes)
- HIV: See Pakistan above (What happened is unclear)
- Bawazeer M, Ahmed N, Izadi H, McFarlan A, Nathens A, Pavenski K. Compliance with a massive transfusion protocol (MTP) impacts patient outcome. Injury. 2014 Oct 5. pii: S0020-1383(14)00460-4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bolton-Maggs PH, Wood EM, Wiersum-Osselton JC. Wrong blood in tube - potential for serious outcomes: can it be prevented? Br J Haematol. 2014 Oct 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- * Brouard D, Ratelle O, Perreault J, Boudreau D, St-Louis M. PCR-free blood group genotyping using a nanobiosensor. Vox Sang. 2014 Dec 3. doi: 10.1111/vox.12207. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hoffman A. Jehovah's Witness parents' refusal of blood transfusions: Ethical considerations for psychologists. J Health Psychol. 2014 Dec 4. pii: 1359105314558896. [Epub ahead of print]
- Holst LB, Haase N, Wetterslev J, Wernerman J, Guttormsen AB, Karlsson S, et al, TRISS Trial Group; Scandinavian Critical Care Trials Group. Lower versus higher hemoglobin threshold for transfusion in septic shock. N Engl J Med. 2014 Oct 9;371(15):1381-91. Epub 2014 Oct 1.
- Lenhoff A. Multiple issues face today's blood banks. (editorial) Med Lab Observer Oct. 2014.
- Louw VJ. The difference in scope of practice between a specialist in transfusion medicine and the clinician who deals with transfusion on an ad hoc basis. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Oct 14. pii:S1473-0502 (14)00177-3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Louw VJ. Determining the outcomes for clinicians completing a postgraduate diploma in transfusion medicine. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Oct 16. pii: S1473-0502(14)00178-5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lusianti RE, Higgins AZ. Continuous removal of glycerol from frozen-thawed red blood cells in a microfluidic membrane device. Biomicrofluidics 2014; 8, 054124.
- McSporran W, Watson D. Developing nursing practice in platelet transfusions. Nurs Stand. 2014 Nov 12;29(11):35-9.
- Morgan SJ, Rackham RA, Penny S, Lawson JR, Walsh RJ, Ismay SL. Business Continuity in Blood Services: two case studies from events with potentially catastrophic effect on the national provision of blood components. Vox Sang. 2014 Dec 3. doi: 10.1111/vox.12205. [Epub ahead of print]
- Morgan S, Rioux-Masse B, Oancea C, Cohn C, Harmon J Jr, Konia M. Simulation-based education for transfusion medicine. Transfusion. 2014 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Northover J. Technology and trends in blood utilization: the time for change is here. Med Lab Observer Oct. 2014. (2004-11: Blood utilization in U.S. was 15% higher per capita than in Europe and 44% higher than in Canada)
- Petrini C. Production of plasma-derived medicinal products: ethical implications for blood donation and donors. Blood Transfus. Jan 2014; 12(Suppl 1): s389–s394.
- Pinheiro de Almeida J, et al. Transfusion requirements in surgical oncology patients: a prospective, randomized controlled trial.Anesthesiology 2014 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Smith A, Gray A, Atherton I, Pirie E, Jepson R. Does time matter? An investigation of knowledge and attitudes following blood transfusion training. Nurse Educ Pract. 2014 Mar;14(2):176-82.
TraQ's electronic newsletter reports monthly updates to the website and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
* Also see TraQ's Industry News
Diseases in the news
Australia (NBA): Series of case studies designed to 'end the waste'
AABB: Platelet Transfusion: A Clinical Practice Guideline (11 Nov. 2014) | Full free text
BC PBCO Update: Reporting Final Results of a Transfusion Reaction to External Agencies - Job Aid TR 0007JA (v 1.3, Oct. 7, 2014)
NEW TM blog: Angel (Musings on communication errors in TM)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Older resources (BC PBCO)
BC Serology Interest Group: Passing the Serology Torch videos (11 videos ranging from~20 to 60 mins.
BC PBCO and BC TRG: Transfusion Bits and Bytes (6 educational videos for med lab technologists)
Mobile web apps: BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator and IVIG Dosing Calculator (For Android, Blackberry, iPhone)
Journals, etc.Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors