What would you do if a health practitioner outside your profession questioned a decision you made?
Obviously an open-ended question with many possible answers and no uniquely right one...
The choices include (but are not limited to):
- Throw a hissy fit and dump verbal abuse on the questioner (only possible if the person is a peer or in a health profession with the same or lower status in the professional pecking order)
- Respectfully ask the questioner why they disagree
- Patiently explain the evidence-based reasons for your decision
- Get a second opinion
- Ignore the question and carry on as if nothing had happened
- A combination of the above
What would you offer as an alternative suggestion/treatment? Please discuss with colleagues.