Where can patient misidentification occur?
The stages where identification errors may occur include:
- Drawing the patient's pretransfusion specimen
- Labelling the patient's blood specimen,1which must be done in the patient's presence
- Performing pretransfusion testing
- Issuing donor blood from the TS
- Identifying patient and donor unit immediately prior to transfusion
Most identification errors occur when collecting the patient's sample and when identifying the patient/donor unit prior to transfusion.
- Lumadue and coworkers (Further Reading) report that specimens that failed to meet the criteria for specimen acceptance at their institution were 40 times more likely to have a blood grouping discrepancy when compared with historic or subsequent patient data.