What are some of the benefits of patient records when pretransfusion testing?
Benefits of patient records include:
Preventing transfusion of incompatible blood due to patient misidentification
- This is one of the major uses of past records since misidentification can lead to transfusion of ABO-incompatible blood and life-threatening transfusion reactions.
Preventing transfusion of incompatible blood due to weak antibodies
- Records can protect patients with weak, undetectable antibodies.
Identifying special transfusion requirements
- Records increase safety by providing information on special transfusion requirements, e.g., the need for CMV-negative or irradiated blood components.
Identifying previous testing problems
- Records identify previous testing problems such as ABO and Rh typing discrepancies and associated investigation and resolution.
Tracking transfusion-associated transmissible diseases
- Patient records are essential to tracking transfusion-associated transmissible diseases.