Patients in developed countries have easy access to health information and increasingly communicate with health providers about their treatment.
- How can patients help increase their own transfusion safety?
- Provide example of how healthcare workers can facilitate this.
a. Patients can increase their own transfusion safety by taking an active role, for example, they should:
- Communicate special transfusion needs to healthcare staff
- When available, show evidence of these needs (e.g., letters and wallet cards)
- Question staff immediately prior to transfusion to ensure that special requirements have been met
b. Healthcare workers can facilitate an active patient role by:
- Fostering a climate in which patients are encouraged to communicate with healthcare providers, and question them
- Providing information (letters, wallet cards, pamphlets) to patients that documents their need for special products
- Asking patients to show the letter and wallet card to health providers