Transfusion errors have many causes, including misidentification, training deficiencies, work overload, faulty communication, and more.
- Does faulty communication play a major or minor role in causing serious transfusion errors?
- Which types of patients are especially at risk from communication errors?
a. Faulty communication plays a major role in serious transfusion errors.
b. Patients especially at risk from communication errors include those with special transfusion, for example:
- patients requiring irradiated blood components
- patients requiring CMV-negative blood components
- patients with clinically significant antibodies