Rachel Berger, ART (CSMLS)
BLOOD ADVISORY GROUP
5720 Morrison St.
Niagara Falls, ON, L2E 2E9
Rachel (Ray) Berger is an independent contractor with 40 plus years of Healthcare/ Laboratory experience, specializing in Transfusion Medicine and Quality Systems.
Extensive experience in project management and providing in service presentations, workshops, educational teleconferences and organizational training. Publications in peer review journals including: Nature; Trans Proceedings; Vox Sanguinis; Trans and Immunohematology; Transfusion and Transfusion Medicine.
Broad range of healthcare experience at a senior level including:
- Hospital: community and tertiary;
- Manufacturer: Canadian Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service and Canadian Blood Services;
- Laboratory: National Reference, Transfusion, Hematology, Hepatitis/HIV, Bone/Tissue Bank, Prenatal and HLA
Independent Contractor experience at the Federal/Provincial/Territorial levels. Providing advice, preparing and presenting issues at the Deputy Minister level. Preparation of Ministerial briefing notes and background papers. Experience in working with consumer groups, patients and their families.
Standards/Regulatory experience through CSA Technical Committee on Blood and Blood Components, Health Canada’s Expert Working Group on Blood Standards, the Canadian General Standards Board and the Canadian Society for Transfusion Medicine’s Standards Committee.
Certificate of completion for ISO 9000:2000 Lead Auditor and ISO 17025 training. Reviewed ISO 15189 for Clinical Laboratories and participated in the ISO/ITA Workshop for ISO/DIS 9004:2000 Quality Management Systems – Guidelines for Process Improvements in Healthcare. QMPLS/OLA Auditor training completed.
Projects Past and Present
- Blood Secretariat – Subject Matter Expert for Transition of CRCS-BTS to the CBS
- Reviewed PPHB Laboratories and developed a Business Plan for ISO Accreditation.
- BBR – Training of provincial inspectors for blood centers
- ISO awareness and Internal Auditor training for Blood Safety Surveillance and Health Care Acquired Infections Division
- CIDPC – Review of the Division of Respiratory Diseases to support the development of a Divisional infrastructure and reporting mechanism.
- Provided support, training and internal audit for ISO accreditation for National Microbiology Laboratories, Winnipeg
- SRA: support for the development of two national networks, pediatric transfusion and blood conservation. Sourcing and maintaining SMEs and advisory groups for both projects.
- Healthy Environment and Consumer Safety Branch (HECSB): Report on Ozone Depleting Substances found in Health Canada laboratories
- Project Coordinator in Ottawa for the Transfusion Ontario Program – a Province of Ontario MOHLTC funded project
- Provincial delegate and support for Ontario TTISS
- Organized and facilitated Ontario annual TTISS meetings
- British Columbia - Provincial Blood Coordinating Office (PBCO) Annual Meeting - Regional Programs review
- Member BC-PBCO TraQ National Steering Group
Board membership at both local and national levels – past and present
- Past President and Board member of the Canadian Society for Transfusion Medicine (CSTM). CSTM representative to the Editorial Committee of the British Blood Transfusion Service (BBTS) Journal Transfusion Medicine
- Past Board Chair Invitational Conference of Investigative Immunohematologists (ICCII) U.S.A.
- United Way Campaign Board, three terms
- Board Member Ottawa Civic Hospital Credit Union
- CSTM - Blum Award, this award is to recognize a member who has given outstanding service to the Society over time
- Health Canada: Merit Award – Blood Secretariat, Transition of the Canadian Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service to the Canadian Blood Services
- Health Canada: Certificate of Recognition & Appreciation – Expert Working Group on Blood Standards