- Give CSTM blogs a look. They offer insights about life as transfusion professionals not seen elsewhere.
- Carson JL, Guyatt G, Heddle NM, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines from the AABB. Red Blood Cell Transfusion Thresholds and Storage. JAMA 2016 (EPub 12 Oct. 2016) | Full text article
- Using activity trackers to monitor transfusion-dependent patients (6 Oct. 2016)
- USA: Doctors test drones to deliver lab specimens, blood products (13 Sept. 2015)
- Experiment with transporting RBCs, PLTs, FP by drones (Video features Dr. Paul Ness)
- BC PBCO: Job opportunities: Sr Clinical and Special Projects Coordinator and Data Operations Coordinator
- CBS: 2015-16 Annual Report | See Management Analysis beginning on p.39
- CBS: Paying donors for plasma doesn’t put patients at risk (28 Sept. 2016) [by Susan Matsumoto, Director of donor relations, Prairies and Northwest Territories]
- Jehovah's Witness (JW) who died giving birth understood risk of refusing blood, Quebec health minister says (20 Oct. 2016)
- Aunt alleges patient was pressured into refusing consent for transfusion by JW hospital liaison committee and her immediate family prevented anyone who wasn't a JW from contacting her.
- Jehovah's Witnesses defend hospital visits that push for bloodless treatment (22 Oct. 2016)
- How big pharma spent $650k on nurses in six months (25 Sept. 2016)
- Also see NBA in Resource Library
- Did Mumbai blood banks supply HIV-infected blood – or are people misreporting cause of transmission? (21 Oct. 2016)
- Mother credits pioneering Kiwi doctor for her 'miracle baby' (11 Oct. 2016)
- Wales: Man suffered debilitating stroke in 2011 after botched autologous transfusion due to inadequate staff training (12 Oct. 2016)
- Family receives unspecified compensation 5 years later
- Solicitor: 'The rate of transfusion was also far too high and by allowing air to remain in the bag and the line the risk of a cardiac embolism was heightened, leading to the devastating consequences.'
- Article by family's lawyer
- ‘Medics knew risk of HIV-infected blood’ given to patients at Royal Free Hospital (5 Oct. 2016) | Similar to Canada, documented by Krever Inquiry (1993-97)
- SHOT: Human factors in transfusion (5 Oct. 2016 by Dr. Paula Bolton-Maggs)
- 78% of all incidents error-related. Transfusion errors frequently multiple (median number=3)
- Issues with Leeds Hospitals pathology IT system lead to major disruption (23 Sept. 2016)
- IBMS responds to IT fault at Leeds Teaching Hospital (26 Sept. 2016)
- Scotland: SNBTS gets help with move to new HQ in Heriot-Watt Research Park, Edinburgh (29 Sept. 2016)
- Background: SNBTS to centralize core services (processing, testing, manufacturing) and relocate HQ in Edinburgh (29 Oct. 2015)
- NC EMS (one of only 2 in USA to transfuse in the field) to add charge of $250 for transfusions to its fee schedule (3 Oct. 2016)
- Paramedics now administer transfusions in NC (28 Sept. 2016)
- Question: Do government blood safety regulators conduct audits in all nations where this occurs?
- Paramedics now administer transfusions in NC (28 Sept. 2016)
- Also see Diseases (Zika virus) below
- International Plasma Awareness Week (Oct. 9-15, 2016) | PPAW - Get involved includes Write a letter to your local media...
- Biotest paid-plasma center opens (11 Oct. 2016)
- Psychology majors surprised to use machines and poke people without certificate
- Novo Nordisk Canada: Ads disguised as news: A drug company's stealth marketing campaign exposed (5 Oct. 2016)
- Theranos shuts blood-test facilities, sheds 40% of workers (6 Oct. 2016)
- USA: FDA's drug reviewers keep leaving to work for big pharma and it's a problem (28 Sept. 2016)
- Also see Australia above
- Zika virus
- Zika virus found in Florida blood bank, mosquitoes (19 Oct. 2016) | Also Public Health England found Asian Tiger mosquito eggs in SE England
- Fatal Zika Virus Infection with secondary nonsexual transmission. New Engl J Med 2016 (E-pub 28 Sept. 2016))
- AABB issues new Association Bulletin on Zika, dengue and Chikungunya viruses following FDA’s August Guidance (Bulletin #16-07, 28 Sept. 2016)
- Australia (NBA): Guidelines and Governance released in 2016 (TraQ missed them earlier. Thanks, MW.)
- Guidelines for the management of haemophilia (20 July 2016)
- Patient Blood Management Guidelines: Module 6 Neonatal and Paediatrics (29 April 2016)
- National Immunoglobulin Governance Program (2nd. edition)
NEW TM blog: The Boxer (Musings on lies & jests in the blood industry)
Sept. blog: The Sound of silence (Musings on transfusion professionals use of Twitter)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
- * Carson JL, Guyatt G, Heddle NM, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines from the AABB. Red Blood Cell Transfusion Thresholds and Storage. JAMA 2016 (EPub 12 Oct. 2016) | Full text article
- * Corral M, Ferko N, Hogan A, Hollmann SS, Gangoli G, Jamous N, et al. A hospital cost analysis of a fibrin sealant patch in soft tissue and hepatic surgical bleeding. Clinicoecon Outcomes Res. 2016 Sep 21;8:507-19.
- * Morris S, Yudin MH, Callum J, Alam A,Herold J, Lin Y. Obstetrical transfusion medicine knowledge among faculty and trainee obstetricians: a prospective knowledge assessment study. Transfus Med. (E-pub 26 Sept. 2016)
- Murphy MF, Dumont LJ, Greinacher A; BEST Collaborative. Interference of new drugs with compatibility testing for blood transfusion. N Engl J Med 2016 Jul; 375:295-6.
- Background: Chapuy CI, Nicholson RT, Aguad MD, Chapuy B, Laubach JP, Richardson PG, et al. Resolving the daratumumab interference with blood compatibility testing. Transfusion. 2015 Jun;55(6 Pt 2):1545-54.
- Hannon JL, Clarke G. Transfusion management of patients receiving daratumumab therapy for advanced plasma cell myeloma.Transfusion. 2015 Nov;55(11):2770. | Authors conclude that DTT-treating panel cells may be effective but does not lend itself to a routine transfusion laboratory, whereas antigen typing is a simple procedure that allows for selection of antigen-matched units in patients with a panreactive antibody, including those caused by DARA.
- Politis C, Wiersum JC, Richardson C, Robillard P,Jorgensen J, Renaudie P, et al. International Haemovigilance Network Database for Surveillance of Adverse Reactions and Events in Donors & Recipients of Blood: technical issues & results. Vox Sang 2016. (E-pub 22 Sept. 2016)
- Poole D, Cortegiani A, Chieregato A, Russo E, Pellegrini C, De Blasio E, et al. Blood component therapy and coagulopathy in trauma: a systematic review of the literature from the Trauma Update Group. PLoS One. 2016 Oct 3;11(10):e0164090. | Tables and graphics downloadable as PPT slide or images (PNG or high quality TIFF)
- Rummler S, Bauschke A, Bärthel E, Jütte H, Maier K, Ziehm P, et al. Current techniques for AB0-incompatible living donor liver transplantation. World J Transplant. 2016 Sep 24;6(3):548-55.
- Smith SM, Yearsley M. Constructing comments in a pathology report: advice for the pathology resident. (Editorial) Arch Path Lab Med 2016 Oct; 140(10): 1023-24.
- Trentino K, Farmer S, Gross I, Shander A, Isbister J. Observational studies - should we simply ignore them in assessing transfusion outcomes? BMC Anesthesiology 2016 (Epub Oct. 14, 2016)
- Wallace AH, Dalziel SR, Cowan BR, Young AA, Thornburg KL, Harding JE. Long-term cardiovascular outcome following fetal anaemia and intrauterine transfusion: a cohort study. Arch Dis Child. 2016 Sep 23. pii: archdischild-2016-310984.
TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
NOTE: TraQ has a streamlined Top Menu. Items that are no longer there will still be included in
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)