- Canada: 13th Annual CBS International Symposium: Blood-Borne Pathogens: Defend, Detect, And Destroy (Toronto, Sept. 26, 2015)
- IPFA / BCA: Global Symposium on the Future for Blood and Plasma Donations (28-29 Sept. 2015, Fort Worth/Dallas)
- AABB Annual Meeting (Oct. 24-27, 2015, Anaheim, CA)
- ASH Annual Meeting (Dec. 5-8, 2015, Orlando, FL)
- Hep C treatment costing $150K sought by NWT tainted blood victim (31 Aug. 2015)
- Medical laboratories face squeeze (Dark Daily, 26 Aug. 2015) Causes include
- Retiring labor force | Need to acquire new diagnostic technologies | Increased demand for lab tests
- In provinces across Canada, health systems are dealing with limited budgets, growing populations, and the need to transition to personalized medicine
- Meeting: 13th Annual CBS International Symposium: Blood-Borne Pathogens: Defend, Detect, And Destroy (Toronto, Sept. 26, 2015)
- Also see Diseases (WNV) below
- Three die in Burdwan hospital after receiving blood transfusions (7 Sept. 2015) | Blood perhaps contaminated due to improper refrigeration
- Banks to issue blood only on MBBS doctors' prescription (22 Aug. 2015)
- For interest: MBBS
- Cost of pensions threatens blood transfusion service (31 Aug. 2015)
- Unravelling the truth about blood donation (13 Sept. 2015)
- Interesting examination of prejudices on being transfused and donating blood
- Nurse struck off for failing to detect many identity discrepancies and transfusing wrong ABO group (10 Sept. 2015)
- UK Nursing and Midwifery Council. Conduct and Competence Committee. Striking off order of B. A. Kingdom (1 Sept. 2015)
- Such disciplinary hearing are invariably fascinating and sad.
- Marathoner Paula Radcliffe's blood tests released (10 Sept. 2015) | Background
- NHSBT works with Barnsley firm to develop mobile app to help medics prescribe appropriate transfusions (17 Aug. 2015)
- Also see Chaffe, et al., under Journals below.
- Blood plasma, sweat, and tears - many of poorest rely on stipends received for donating plasma (1 Sept. 2015, The Atlantic)
- Hutcheson Medical Center, Chapter 11 bankruptcy, close to being sold (3 Sept. 2015)
- Man infected with HIV in 2010 launches civil suit against LifeSouth Community Blood Centers (26 Aug. 2015)
- Transgender man told he’s “higher risk” for plasma donation (20 Aug. 2015)
- Chicago hospital and staff sued after woman dies from allegedly being transfused with wrong blood type (29 July 2015)
- Australia - CSL
- CSL proposes preferential 10% tax rate for advanced manufacturing using Aus-developed intellectual property (1 Sept. 2015)
- CSL's CFO Naylor blames unions for loss of plasma (7 Sept. 2015)
- CSL's gross profit margin is 51%; 2014 net profit after tax: US $1.3b [Source: CSL 2013-14 Report]
- CSL warns of biotech bubble (10 Aug. 2015)
- More on Iggbo, on-demand anytime/anywhere blood draw service (24 Aug. 2015)
- Iggbo stimulated by government crackdown on practice of paying process-and-handling fees to doctors that could be considered kickbacks.
- Gauss raises $3.3M for real-time surgical blood loss monitoring system using iPad camera and app (21 Aug. 2015)
- Good month for blood? Theranos's 'selfie' lab test (17 Aug. 2015)
- Babesia (USA): Parasitic threat is sneaking its way into blood supply (21 Aug. 2015)
- Retroviruses and hepatitis viruses (USA): See Custer, et al., under Journals below
- Chaffe B, Glencross H, Jones J, Staves J, Capps-Jenner A, Mistry H, Bolton-Maggs P, McQuade M, Asher D. UK Transfusion Laboratory Collaborative: minimum standards for staff qualifications, training, competency and the use of information technology in hospital transfusion laboratories 2014. Transfus Med. 2014 Dec; 24(6): 335–40.
- Custer B, Kessler D, Vahidnia F, Leparc G, Krysztof DE, Shaz B, et al. & NHLBI Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study-II (REDS-II). Risk factors for retrovirus and hepatitis virus infections in accepted blood donors.Transfusion. 2015 May;55(5):1098-107. Epub 2014 Dec 4.
- Those with risks still donate and are identified only via laboratory screening tests
- Klein HG, Flegel WA, Natanson C. Red blood cell transfusion. Precision vs imprecision medicine. JAMA. Pub online 10 Sept. 2015.
- Main EK, Goffman D, Scavone BM, Low LK, Bingham D, Fontaine PL, et al; National Parternship for Maternal Safety; Council for Patient Safety in Women's Health Care. National Partnership for Maternal Safety: consensus bundle on obstetric hemorrhage. Anesth Analg. 2015 Jul;121(1):142-8.
- Pham HP, Marques MB , Williams III LA. Rhesus immune globulin dosing in the obesity epidemic era. (letter) Arch Pathol Lab Med 2015 Sept;139(9): 1084.
- Thomas J, Moore G. Medical-legal issues in the agitated patient: cases and caveats. West J Emerg Med. 2013 Sep; 14(5): 559-65.
TraQ's newsletter reports monthly website updates and is sent to everyone who registers to receive them.
NEW TM blog: Sweet dreams are made of this (Musings on personalized medicine)
Updated: CBS's Clinical Guide to Transfusion (ed. by Gwen Clarke and Sophie Chargé) has 2015 updates
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Canada - Older
TM Medical Policy Manual Table of Contents (March 2015)
6.2 Indications for Irradiation of Blood Components (Revised 2015-03-06)
Technical Operations Manual: Common Procedures - Other
OM.0001 Processing a Canadian Blood Services Lookback (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
NEW OM.0003 Notifying the Lookback Recipient’s Physician (v. 1.1, 2015-07-02)
OM.0004 Completing the Documentation and Reporting for a Canadian Blood Services Lookback Notification (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
OM.0005 Lookback Process Flowmap (v. 1.0, 2015-03-23)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample journal issues (Jan. 2015 unless indicated otherwise)