TraQ's electronic newsletter reports updates to the website.
If TraQ is useful, please let us know:
(click on address)
The March newsletter includes these highlights:
- International news:
- Cyclist has bacteriogenic transfusion reaction following self-administered transfusion
- BloodTechnet's Learning Competition (See who made it to Round 2)
- Dr. Francine Décary to leave Héma-Québec
- CHS grades Canada's blood supply
- Diseases: News on Chagas, HIV, vCJD, and XMRV/CFS
- Industry news: Several takeovers as industry consolidates
- Literature: Interesting papers inc. one by Canadian researchers on encasing rbc in polymer shells to hide them from the immune system ('immunocamouflage')
- Resource library: Blood Bank Guy's 2011 lecture notes
- New TM blog: Cultivate, convert, and cloak 'em - Sweet dreams? (Musings on chasing the 'holy grails' of blood transfusion)
- and much more...
- Eclectic international news, including
- Australia: Perioperative module of 'Patient Blood Management Guideline' (comments until Apr.1, 2011)
- UK: Govt. considers privatising parts of NBS / Scottish research team gets funds to produce rbc from stem cells
- USA: Battle over financial incentives for bone marrow donors
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| Archived newsletters |
E-mail this page to a friend
Audience: This newsletter is sent to everyone who registers at TraQ who indicates that they would like to receive updates.
Online Subscriptions: To stop receiving the monthly newsletter, please contact
March 21, 2011
Pat Letendre, TraQ coordinator
TraQ / BC PBCO News
Regional News - Canada
Australian Blood Authority
**More - Regional and International News
Diseases in the News
XMRV / CFS
**Also see Industry News
Books / Journals/Newsletters (free full text) (* 1 or more Canadian authors)
Book review: "Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution" by Holly Tucker (12 Mar. 2011) | Author interview (PLoS blog)
Chang CS, Lin YC, Wu YC, Yeh CJ, Lin YC. The effects of a computerized transfusion decision support system on physician compliance and its appropriateness for fresh frozen plasma use in a medical center. Am J Clin Pathol 2011 Mar;135(3):41722.
Isbister JP, Shander A, Spahn DR, Erhard J, Farmer SL, Hofmann A. Adverse blood transfusion outcomes: establishing causation. Trans Med Rev 2011 Apr; 25,(2): 89101.
* Mansouri S, Merhi Y, Winnik FM, Tabrizian M. Investigation of layer-by-layer assembly of polyelectrolytes on fully functional human red blood cells in suspension for attenuated immune response. Biomacromolecules 2011 (Published 9 Feb. 2011)
Samot J, Moon S, Shao L, Zhang X, Xu F, et al. Blood Banking in living droplets. PLoS ONE 2011 Mar 11; 6(3): e17530.
Wong KF. Virtual blood bank. J Pathol Inform 2011 Jan 24;2:6.
BC PBCO | TMS Documents - Processes | CBS: transfusionmedicine.ca
Jobs on TraQ
TraQ case study: Mini-Case B7 (Case of a disappearing antibody)
See all of our interactive case studies
TraQ offers best practice guidelines covering the most commonly used procedures in a hospital transfusion service.
The TraQ monthly newsletter is sent as a benefit of registering at TraQ.
If you find TraQ useful, please contact TraQAdmin@traqprogram.ca
BloodTechnet's Learning Competition
Blood Bank Guy's 2011 lecture notes
Musings on Transfusion Medicine (blog):
Cultivate, convert, and cloak 'em - Sweet dreams? (Musings on chasing the 'holy grails' of blood transfusion)
**Also see TraQ's: Continuing education | Nursing resources | Resource library | Links | Video library