What's New - Chronological (October 2016)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- TraQ's October newsletter
- USA (CDC Director): Zika will become endemic (25 Oct. 2016)
- CDC's Tom Frieden on Zika virus (CityLab 2016 video interview, 25 Oct. 2016)
- Australia: Personal data of 550,000 Red Cross blood donors leaked in country’s largest data breach (28 Oct. 2016)
- Lin Y, Saskin A,Wells RA, Lenis M, Mamedov A, Callum J, Buckstein R. Prophylactic RhCE and Kell antigen matching: impact on alloimmunization in transfusion-dependent patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Vox Sang 2016 (E-Pub 19 Oct. 2016).
- Canada: CBS announces new, stricter iron guidelines for donors (24 Oct/ 2016)
- Heddle NM, Cook RJ, Arnold DM, Liu Y, Barty R, Crowther MA, et al. Effect of short-term vs. long-term blood storage on mortality after transfusion. N Engl J Med (Epub 24 Oct. 2016) | Free full text
- Ryu W-H, Gittleson FS, Thomsen JM, Li J, Schwab MJ, Brudvig GW, Taylor AD. Heme biomolecule as redox mediator and oxygen shuttle for efficient charging of lithium-oxygen batteries. Nat Comm 7, 2016 Oct 19;7:12925. (Free full text) | Yale University press release)
- New blog: The Boxer (Musings on lies & jests in the blood industry)
- TraQ's October newsletter
- Canada: Jehovah's Witnesses defend hospital visits that push for bloodless treatment (22 Oct. 2016)
- India: Did Mumbai blood banks supply HIV-infected blood – or are people misreporting cause of transmission? (21 Oct. 2016)
- Australia (NBA): Guidelines and Governance released in 2016 (TraQ missed them earlier)
- Guidelines for the management of haemophilia (20 July 2016)
- Patient Blood Management Guidelines: Module 6 Neonatal and Paediatrics (29 April 2016)
- National Immunoglobulin Governance Program (2nd. edition)
- Canada: CBS 2015-16 Annual Report | See Management Analysis beginning on p.39
- Zika virus found in Florida blood bank, mosquitoes (19 Oct. 2016) | Also Public Health England found Asian Tiger mosquito eggs in SE England
- Novo Nordisk Canada: Ads disguised as news: A drug company's stealth marketing campaign exposed (5 Oct. 2016)
- Canada: Jehovah's Witness (JW) who died giving birth understood risk of refusing blood, Quebec health minister says (20 Oct. 2016)
- Aunt alleges patient was pressured into refusing consent for transfusion by JW hospital liaison committee and her immediate family prevented anyone who wasn't a JW from contacting her.
- International Plasma Awareness Week (Oct. 9-15, 2016) | PPAW - Get involved includes Write a letter to your local media...
- Murphy MF, Dumont LJ, Greinacher A; BEST Collaborative. Interference of new drugs with compatibility testing for blood transfusion. N Engl J Med 2016 Jul; 375:295-6. (Free full text)
- Background: Chapuy CI, Nicholson RT, Aguad MD, Chapuy B, Laubach JP, Richardson PG, et al. Resolving the daratumumab interference with blood compatibility testing. Transfusion. 2015 Jun;55(6 Pt 2):1545-54.
- Hannon JL, Clarke G. Transfusion management of patients receiving daratumumab therapy for advanced plasma cell myeloma.Transfusion. 2015 Nov;55(11):2770. | Authors conclude that DTT-treating panel cells may be effective but does not lend itself to a routine transfusion laboratory, whereas antigen typing is a simple procedure that allows for selection of antigen-matched units in patients with a panreactive antibody, including those caused by DARA.
- UK (Wales): Man suffered debilitating stroke in 2011 after botched autologous transfusion due to inadequate staff training (12 Oct. 2016)
- Family receives unspecified compensation 5 years later
- Solicitor: 'The rate of transfusion was also far too high and by allowing air to remain in the bag and the line the risk of a cardiac embolism was heightened, leading to the devastating consequences.'
- Article by family's lawyer
- Trentino K, Farmer S, Gross I, Shander A, Isbister J. Observational studies - should we simply ignore them in assessing transfusion outcomes? BMC Anesthesiology 2016 (Epub Oct. 14, 2016) | Full free text
- USA: Biotest paid plasma center opens (11 Oct. 2016)
- Psychology majors surprised to use machines and poke people without certificate
- Carson JL, Guyatt G, Heddle NM, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines from the AABB. Red Blood Cell Transfusion Thresholds and Storage. JAMA 2016 (EPub 12 Oct. 2016) | Full text article
- NZ: Mother credits pioneering Kiwi doctor for her 'miracle baby' (11 Oct. 2016)
- Wallace AH, Dalziel SR, Cowan BR, Young AA, Thornburg KL, Harding JE. Long-term cardiovascular outcome following fetal anaemia and intrauterine transfusion: a cohort study. Arch Dis Child. 2016 Sep 23. pii: archdischild-2016-310984.
- Using activity trackers to monitor transfusion-dependent patients (6 Oct. 2016)
- Theranos shuts blood-test facilities, sheds 40% of workers (6 Oct. 2016)
- Corral M, Ferko N, Hogan A, Hollmann SS, Gangoli G, Jamous N, et al. A hospital cost analysis of a fibrin sealant patch in soft tissue and hepatic surgical bleeding. Clinicoecon Outcomes Res. 2016 Sep 21;8:507-19. (Free full text)
- UK (SHOT): Human factors in transfusion (5 Oct. 2016 by Dr. Paula Bolton-Maggs )
- 78% of all incidents error-related. Transfusion errors frequently multiple (median number=3)
- Fatal Zika Virus Infection with secondary nonsexual transmission. New Engl J Med 2016 (E-pub 28 Sept. 2016)
- USA: NC EMS (one of only 2 in USA to transfuse in the field) to add charge of $250 for transfusions to its fee schedule (3 Oct. 2016)
- Poole D, Cortegiani A, Chieregato A, Russo E, Pellegrini C, De Blasio E, et al. Blood component therapy and coagulopathy in trauma: a systematic review of the literature from the Trauma Update Group. PLoS One. 2016 Oct 3;11(10):e0164090. (Free full text) | Tables and graphics downloadable as PPT slide or images (PNG or high quality TIFF)
- Australia: How big pharma spent $650k on nurses in six months (25 Sept. 2016)
- USA: FDA's drug reviewers keep leaving to work for big pharma and it's a problem (28 Sept. 2016)
- Smith SM, Yearsley M. Constructing comments in a pathology report: advice for the pathology resident. (Editorial) Arch Path Lab Med 2016 Oct; 140(10): 1023-24.